Sonic Adventure

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Favorite Part about SADX

My favorite part about Sonic Adventure DX is raising chao. Too bad, I never got to make a chaos chao legit in either of the Sonic Adventures, except once which I did for my brother, but it was in Sonic Adventure 2 Battle for the Nintendo Gamecube. Now this thread makes me want to find the memory cards for the Nintendo Gamecube, which I think is in my brother's room.

Last edited:
How old are you? Back when the game came out, everyone was like, "OMG A NEW SONIC GAME FOR THE FIRST TIME IN FIVE YEARS". Which was an absolute eternity considering during the 8-bit and 16-bit eras, sequels popped out one year after the next for both Mario & Sonic.

In fact, everyone was so happy to finally be getting SOMETHING from Sega that wasn't 3D Blast, they were willing to ignore some very big flaws with the game and essentially tarred and feathered anybody that was critical (me).
Now it's funny how those same issues ended up evolving into the 'Sonic Cycle' and spawned the whole 'return to the classics' movement.

Yeah, if anything, Sonic Adventure has always been pretty overrated. Personally, I think it's a decent game that had some good and some bad ideas. It's a step up from everything that came after it.

Personally, I think it's a decent game that had some good and some bad ideas.
I think it's really not even decent. There are parts of SA1 that are legitimately great, but there are also a lot of parts that aren't fun at all. SA1 feels like they threw in every idea they had, mixed it heavily, and then just released without really thinking about whether or not any of the ideas were any good or not. Even ignoring Big, the obvious example, SA1 is filled with a ton of ideas that just don't really fit in with the rest of the game. For instance, Chao are a legitimately good idea, but Sonic is very much the wrong genre to do it in. Never mind the execution of the game, with the camera issues and the massive amount of bugs: the core design behind a lot of the game is deeply, deeply flawed. So many of those ideas should have been cut in design meetings before the game was even implemented, but somehow nobody on the team stood back and thought about the package as a whole.

IMO, SA1 is a bad video game that's still charming enough at its best to be enjoyable at times.

From personal experience, I certainly remember SADX (the old PC port from 2003, not that newer-fangled Steam version) being fairly entertaining as a kid, I could not stop playing it for ages! Even despite encountering some of the game's bugs I think? I remember getting all the game's emblems, except for some of the Chao race ones, with the help of a walkthrough guide document thing I had about IIRC.

Couldn't make sense of some of those post-game missions though; some of them were incredibly frustrating to do even when I COULD understand them, eck. Like getting all the flags in the Ice Cap snowboarding segment for instance.

I don't have the game installed on my comp anymore, though I still have all my save files from back in the day... I wonder how well the old 2003 port works on Windows 7?

Never played the original SA1 myself, I'm way too young for that I guess.

Last edited:
There are parts of SA1 that are legitimately great, but there are also a lot of parts that aren't fun at all.
I think Mystic summed up my feelings on this game right here. Like AJ said, when this game came out, it was pretty widely praised. I remember seeing Sonic Adventure in '99 and it was pretty mind blowing.

The Dreamcast was new, powerful hardware. That scene of Sonic running toward the camera with a killer whale destroying a bridge behind him was a sight to behold. I still remember that chase fondly. Then I remember Master Emerald Hunting.

I just replayed the game recently, and the good doesn't really outshine the bad. I remembered enjoying exploring the adventure stages when I was a kid. Either because I've beaten the game before or because open worlds are so much more abundant nowadays, even that isn't that interesting to me anymore.

Tails ended up being my favourite character to playthrough because his levels were the shortest.

How old are you? Back when the game came out, everyone was like, "OMG A NEW SONIC GAME FOR THE FIRST TIME IN FIVE YEARS". Which was an absolute eternity considering during the 8-bit and 16-bit eras, sequels popped out one year after the next for both Mario & Sonic.

In fact, everyone was so happy to finally be getting SOMETHING from Sega that wasn't 3D Blast, they were willing to ignore some very big flaws with the game and essentially tarred and feathered anybody that was critical (me).
Now it's funny how those same issues ended up evolving into the 'Sonic Cycle' and spawned the whole 'return to the classics' movement.

I'm 19, My first playing through this game was like I said 6 years ago or something, If I Remember correct it was in summer 2010, I wasn't really a follower of Sonic but this game got me into it lol, and still I'm not a huge fan of the franchise, Sonic games are just like gaming dessert for me, Nothing I would really pickup seriously.

I enjoyed it for most part, and when I heard there's newer 3D Sonic games, I decided to pick one up, I chose Sonic Unleashed for my PS3, Graphically It seemed better than SADX, But I didn't enjoy it alot because of the linearity of levels, and the Night stages, in which you play as a beast Sonic or whatever, then I found out about Sonic Heroes, my 3rd 3D Sonic games, The level design was cleverer than SU's but It still obliged you to choose Teams, seems like they were trying to Mix 3 Play styles and worry less about making each character go through it's own levels which I didn't really like, I like to go through the whole level with only the character I choose, I couldn't even finish that game because of the slippery controls and the Rail Grinding that liked to stab you on the back (The Canyon level).

So yeah until now SADX is still my favorite 3D Sonic game because it let me play the way I want, the controls are not slippery, and there's not many confusing unnecessary gimmicks (at least not in Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Gamma Levels).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back