SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > SRB2 Discussion

Old 1 Day Ago   #5641
Ritz
cornstar

Different tools for different situations. Linedef slopes are quick and easy for general ground use, but they're terrible for geometry that isn't aligned at 45 degree angles because the direction of the slope must always be perpendicular to the slope linedef, so no lateral tilts. Vertex things are precise and support dynamic geometry, but they're a pain in the ass to use because you can't rotate or duplicate them without having to re-tag every object, which also means having to temporarily offset things that are overlapping each other so they're not fighting for priority in the editor. If I want to make a bowl or a sphere, where's the solution in-between that doesn't take 3 hours to set up?

Also I was under the impression ZDoom or some other variant supported both visual vertices and vertex slope things, is that not true? If visual vertices really do preclude the use of things, couldn't we just, like, code it to not do that? Also the copy slope actions would be infinitely more useful if they literally copied the slope instead of simply extending a slope over disjointed geometry anyway.

Last edited by Ritz; 1 Day Ago at 01:42 PM.
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #5642
toaster
トースタちゃん
Developer

ZDoom's vertex things only worked on the corners of triangular sectors and didn't do any tagging, essentially being the UDMF vertex slope conceit without the benefit of being able to put additional properties in the vertex struct. It's reasonable that you'd want these as well, but whenever I hear people advocating for the ZDoom method, it betrays a lack of thought about how ZDoom's editing features have been shaped by its lack of FOFs, and how SRB2 - by nature of being a more vertically demanding game concept - requires alternative solutions. If we did consider it relevant and feasible to add UDMF at some point (and then actually went and did it), it'd be kinda easy to make vertex slopes happen the way you want... but then their complete inability to work for FOFs would be a mess if you wanted to put a path underneath that bowl at some point.

Getting "copy slope" to behave like you'd want it to, by the way? As desirable as that sounds, how could you actively determine what height the slope should be at? The extending-the-plane-outwards is the only possible way to do this without involving some extra information, like, say, a new vertex slope thing to "anchor" it vertically. Which has been proposed but we've been too busy to get around to doing, sorry.
<MonsterIestyn> watch porm to keep warm
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Hours Ago   #5643
Death Egg

This may be fairly difficult to implement, but could 3D mode and 2D mode have different physics? I would love to see the platforming of 2D mode actually resemble Classic Sonic gameplay. As is I'm going to have to look into lua scripting to rework it into something decent for what I want to achieve.
Death Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Hours Ago   #5644
Lilac

Do you mean like speedcaps from the classics or something? I'm pretty sure I asked that at one point and was told it was impossible to do.
Lilac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Hours Ago   #5645
Death Egg

No, well maybe partially, just stuff like how quickly sonic and co come to a start/stop, some of the air physics being off, the spindash basically never losing speed after letting go unless hitting a wall, etc.
Death Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Hours Ago   #5646
MarioFreak2001
Has a sprained wrist now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Egg View Post
[...] some of the air physics being off [...]
At least the physics are (or at least feel) better than in 2.0 and proir. Especially for analog users.