Downloading Ubuntu now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowyfox

Hee-Hawk! That's a Giradonk
I'm downloading this baby to see how it works,By the way
can I keep XP?cuz XP is my moms/dads favorite operating system

You'll have to make partitions in the hard drive to configure a dual-booting system.

But yes, you can.

You'll probably want to keep XP though so you should probably crash-course in learning how to make multiple partitions.

Then again, last I remember, Ubuntu's install CD has a partition manager, so it shouldn't be too bad.

Oops,I have to redownload it I downloaded server instead of Desktop.
and Can the Desktop version use Internet?

@LKA:My computer Dual-boots between XP Home and Profishonal,Is that Ok? and whats a Partiton?

Last edited:
Ubuntu also has a Wubi-based installer, so you don't have to modify partitions.

Try booting the CD first, for first impressions. Don't install it if you can't confirm that your hardware works great with it.

(I take it someone on the internet is trying to evangelize you into ubuntu. I say use what you feel most comfortable with, and what works best for you. I use Ubuntu myself, but I wouldn't want to recommend it to every human in the known universe for the sake of it, and I don't find it as comfortable as Windows either. (monitor configs, mouse movements, wine issues, no ntfs steam etc))

Last edited:
Wubi is unrecommended, it's better off without it. And Ubuntu 9.04 seems to have a broken wubi. Just use the partioner.

I'd keep a linux distribution on your computer, incase you get a virus or want to test out a game's linux version.

I recommend using Wubi, too. It lets you dual boot Windows and Ubuntu (like what I do). Best part about it is that everything works fine, and it installs just like a regular Windows program.

If you're worried about losing your Windows XP installation, but can't partition hard drives, just use Wubi. It will make your life much easier. =)

Wubi is unrecommended, it's better off without it.
The Ubuntu team recommends using the Wubi installer if you are testing Ubuntu moving from Windows, since it can be easily uninstalled and doesn't have the inherent issues of a LiveCD.

Just use Wubi for now. You can mess with real dual-booting later.

Don't worry I downloaded Wubi instead ^.^
so I wont have to do that CRAP A DAP BURN-ON-A-CD Thingy =P

NOTE:Some words here are made up

Last edited:
I have a new problem whenever I use Wubi it gets stuck that say it has 2 hours and 17 minutes
Is there something wrong?

EDIT:Never mind I used it again and it got fixed

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back