SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Off-Topic > Video Games

Old 03-18-2017   #41
Puppyfaic
*panting sounds*

Well. This is ... disappointing. I hope there's more to the game than just the same unleashed hallway gameplay.
Puppyfaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017   #42
SANICBOOM644
Blue Hedgehog Acceleration

I actually like how this turned out. Hopefully boom sonic is the third character
SANICBOOM644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017   #43
RomioTheBadass
Right there, Criminal Scum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppyfaic View Post
Well. This is ... disappointing. I hope there's more to the game than just the same unleashed hallway gameplay.
Wisps can actually make the game Challenging, Remember Planet Wisp from Generations, Just hope they will be used right, else it would become a Run and Bounce game.
Old 03-18-2017   #44
Hyperknux
The board's UK Ecologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SANICBOOM644 View Post
I actually like how this turned out. Hopefully boom sonic is the third character
Sega already confirmed there will be no other Sonics other than Classic and Modern appearing in the game. The new character is said to be someone different. Then again, they said that about Classic Sonic returning for Generations only and look how that turned out.

Of all the names they could picked; Sonic Forces?... they could of picked Sonic Resistance or something more catchy (the stream went off on so many dodgy names for it I'm not even going to comment on that).

The gameplay look a bit of a mix between daytime Unleashed/Generations. Though I'm not too keen on the hallway linear design I'm seeing. I hope they expand the exploration and the corridor sizes more in the later levels. I really didn't want the wisps back for this, but now we got another game to put up with them. The aesthetics look pretty damn cool though.

I'm curious but also cautious at the same time. Until more details get revealed there's not really a lot more to say about it.

Last edited by Hyperknux; 03-18-2017 at 05:58 PM.
Hyperknux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017   #45
Shadon
Just kind of an asshole

It limits the boost, which forces players to conserve it more.
Shadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017   #46
Larztard
Yeah...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadon View Post
It limits the boost, which forces players to conserve it more.
Which I think is a PERFECT idea! The problem I always had with Generations was boost was always plentiful and you refilled on it by collecting rings and destroying enemies which was all the time whenever you boosted near a trail of rings or into a group of enemies. Basically, "LET'S PRESS X TO WIN". Now that they are going back to a similar boost mechanic in Colors, I think it's safe to say that Forces will be more difficult than Generations and which in this case, is great.
Old 03-19-2017   #47
MarioFreak2001
Too busy playing SADX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larztard View Post
Now that they are going back to a similar boost mechanic in Colors
But in Colors, you hade to collect those Wisps to fill up the boost gauge.
What do you think is gonna be the collectable to fill up the boost gauge?
Old 03-20-2017   #48
YevaEA
Christmas is no longer here

Sonic forces us to critically examine an Alpha demo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioFreak2001 View Post
But in Colors, you hade to collect those Wisps to fill up the boost gauge.
What do you think is gonna be the collectable to fill up the boost gauge?
According to the 40 second demo they showed, a boost was done just after breaking open a Wisp container. I think it's safe to say that Wisps are the main source of boost power for the Modern stages this time around. That really did bum me out at first. But the more I think about the title, the more I feel maybe there's more "forces" at work against Eggman than they're letting on. Maybe there's a good plot related reason for Wisps to reappear, and I'd really like for that to be the case. Maybe the Wisps have something to do with the third, final, and unnamed playstyle that we've been hearing about.

The hallway level design does kind of irk me, but only if that were a final product. This is still an early build, and they have lots of time to make sure the Modern stages are enjoyable even when boosting. As long as they have little to no 2D or hallway sections for the Modern stages once the game is released, I think it'll be fine. I remember how open some of the areas in Generations felt, and I'm ready to see more of that.

I'm hopeful about the Classic stages too. In Generations, you couldn't really drop into a halfpipe and carry your momentum like how the true classic games did. That absolutely needs to be implemented properly in Forces. Same deal with elemental sheilds. Same with that spindash button. They're building this game on a new engine after all, so there really should be no excuse.

EDIT:
I watched a video this morning where a dude criticised the Wisp capsules because it limited the boost. It would constrict the player to ONLY boost whenever the game said they could. It would force the player to slow down in platforming sections. Thats a fair point from him, but this is an early build. The devs needed easy and immediate access to the features they wanted to show off. It's possible that Wisps may not be they only way to boost, and that the demo wasn't being restricting to the boost, but intetionally put there to showcase the boost.

Last edited by YevaEA; 03-21-2017 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Didnt want to double post, so im tacking it on right here
YevaEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017   #49
MarioFreak2001
Too busy playing SADX

Quote:
Originally Posted by YevaEA View Post
According to the 40 second demo they showed, a boost was done just after breaking open a Wisp container.
Wait, there was a video demo?
Please excuse my obliviousness, but how come I've never heard of this?
Old 03-20-2017   #50
SANICBOOM644
Blue Hedgehog Acceleration

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomioTheBadass View Post
So it's Sonic Generations 2.

Dear god, 0:00 to 2:15 must be one of the cringiest things I ever seen.

EDIT :
Trailer : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws3JuE7Is7I
30 Seconds Gameplay : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCBIiPphdhM
Here it is
SANICBOOM644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017   #51
CobaltBW
I do things sometimes

I just want to point out that what they showed us was probably an intro or early game level, so... take the hallway design with that in mind.

Personally, I'm just kinda tired of having to switch between two gameplay styles in every damn Sonic game, so I'm not interested in this. It would actually be more appealing if they just stuck with Classic Sonic or Modern for the entire game. That said, it'll probably be a good game; Sonic Team has had plenty of time to flesh out their formula, so it was a good move on their part to stick to their guns and build off of that.

Anyway, Sonic Mania's coming soon, so I don't really care.

Check out my soundcloud profile for music stuff

Last edited by CobaltBW; 03-20-2017 at 08:25 PM.
CobaltBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017   #52
Cyrus8088
Overly sleepy

Damn the gameplay so far looks one way sided, expect some boring gameplay and no mild free Rome like adventure 1,2 and the fan game SRB2
Cyrus8088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017   #53
Sky The Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus8088 View Post
Damn the gameplay so far looks one way sided, expect some boring gameplay and no mild free Rome like adventure 1,2 and the fan game SRB2
Look at the beginning of Green Hill Act 2 from Generations. They're similarly designed - hallway, basics only. This is likely an intro stage like CobaltBW said.

Then we got Sky Sanctuary Act 2 and Seaside Hill Act 2 in Generations, which are very open and well-designed.
Sky The Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017   #54
Puppyfaic
*panting sounds*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky The Destroyer View Post
Look at the beginning of Green Hill Act 2 from Generations. They're similarly designed - hallway, basics only. This is likely an intro stage like CobaltBW said.

Then we got Sky Sanctuary Act 2 and Seaside Hill Act 2 in Generations, which are very open and well-designed.
Sky Sanctuary isn't a good reference. Its level design could've been good, but you can just press boost and cruise right over all the platforming-heavy sections. That's why I dislike boost gameplay.
Puppyfaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017   #55
Cyrus8088
Overly sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppyfaic View Post
Sky Sanctuary isn't a good reference. Its level design could've been good, but you can just press boost and cruise right over all the platforming-heavy sections. That's why I dislike boost gameplay.
well we'll see what we get
Cyrus8088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017   #56
Sky The Destroyer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbrCEZdb9qI&t=22s

First footage of Classic Sonic's gameplay in Green Hill Zone that's filled with...sand. (Starts at 22 seconds)

EDIT: Also new character:

Last edited by Sky The Destroyer; 04-12-2017 at 11:41 PM.
Sky The Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017   #57
Larztard
Yeah...

I don't have a good feeling about this new character to be honest...
Old 04-13-2017   #58
SSNTails
What part of 'RETIRED' don't you understand?

Quote:
OMG! It's Yukkle from The Wizard Needs Food, Badly!
Old 04-13-2017   #59
FuriousDragonZ
Paper Mario fan rn

Quote:

The silhouette makes him look like Shadow...oh no, is it gonna be another Hedgehog?

Last edited by FuriousDragonZ; 04-13-2017 at 04:22 PM.
FuriousDragonZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017   #60
Katwover
typicality nonsensical

Quote:
Spoiler: