Metal Anyone v2 - Leave your Ability to Fate!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because they don't exist.

Give me good-looking Emerl or G-Mel sprites and I'll change this in a heartbeat.

He asked why you didn't ask anyone to make Emerl sprites for this, not why you didn't use ones that didn't exist. That would be amazing too.

I actually would love to sprite Emerl. I honestly didn't want to see Emerl being in SRB2 before, but seeing this does changes my mind about it. Thing is that I'm already working on a hell load of things, part of them actually being related to this game, and the rest just being commissions or whatever. Still, I would love to see this on Emerl.

EDIT: No, don't expect Emerl for me. I would love to make Emerl myself if I already didn't have a lot to work on, and doing Emerl would be just even more work TBH.

Last edited:
I actually would love to sprite Emerl. I honestly didn't want to see Emerl being in SRB2 before, but seeing this does changes my mind about it. Thing is that I'm already working on a hell load of things, part of them actually being related to this game, and the rest just being commissions or whatever. Still, I would love to see this on Emerl.

I'm sure that once you finish up the Sonic Respriting, you'd definitely be the man for the job of making Emerl sprites. It's no wonder the devs accepted Chuckles' sprites for 2.1 Knuckles. Your sprites are just that good.

Emerl.png

I guess I can finish this.
This is just a skeleton btw.

0.5/180 frames complete

This wad is a neat idea, but if anyone is thinking they can make a complete set of Emerl sprites in a few hours and call it a day, then they need a serious reality check. Metal Sonic cheats around everything by floating constantly; making an actually decent walk/run cycle in all five directions means making 60 unique frames that animate well and that's not something you can just slap together in a jiffy.

This wad is a neat idea, but if anyone is thinking they can make a complete set of Emerl sprites in a few hours and call it a day, then they need a serious reality check. Metal Sonic cheats around everything by floating constantly; making an actually decent walk/run cycle in all five directions means making 60 unique frames that animate well and that's not something you can just slap together in a jiffy.

Challenge accepted... Maybe. Let me finish shadow first.

Also, will swim ability be present in future versions?

I'm just gonna say no. Swim is too situational for the roulette. While some character data is definetly more powerful than others, swim is just too underpowered. That, and who's gonna represent swim anyway? Big? Wanna have an underpowered ability AND be super slow? I'd rather not tie "secondary" abilities to any of the other abilities if possible. I strictly wanted the vanilla abilities, and while I had to cut swim and there's no "none" ability character, I consider Metal Anyone to be complete on that front.

Actually, G-merl got around mostly by floating and dashing too. Hell, even when G-merl wasn't copying the player's abilities, he still very clearly copied Mecha Sonic and threw in a few more tricks, so he can still copy things. I prefer G-merl for a few reasons, mainly his design. While Emerl changes palletes a lot to imitate other characters, and just changing one of his shades would leave you with orange or gold clashing with everything, having G-merl's yellow highlights change color would mesh well with his black paintjob. G-merl may be his lesser known form, but I still prefer it. Peh.

Last edited:
Well its not gonna change your mind but if you wanted a character whose stats wouldn't totally suck as a swimmer, there's always vector, I mean, he's a crocodile for god's sake, makes more sense than big anyway, and he could use neon green as a color choice, just putting it out there in case you do ever get the urge.

So, I tested it...
Those abilities below are useless and/or super hard to control!

Air Drill: Oh god... a double jump... that goes 1 meter in front of you and doesn't allow you to bounce on what you fall!
Jump switch: Unless if used in Arid Canyon, this is useless.
Hover: It's mecha sonic, without the spin, and with the ability that slowly leave you fall.

Usefull abilities:

Metal's jump boost: I have to say it is quite usefull, maybe a bit OP when you use super sneakers.

Mecha's float: To compense this usefull ability, you have an incredible acceleration, same for the speed!

S-T-K abilities: Nobody can contest them!

Silver's psycho powerz: It actually gives you a good acceleration but an horrible speed.
Also being able to throw enemies in the pit is fun!

Others are just "normal" abilities, I don't have much to say on them.

I don't know where to start:
I remember that you said something about this yesterday, and today it's already done ?
This one is a bit different because your abilities don't get changed on every move but I think it works better this way.
This is a lot like Emerl from Sonic Battle, who would learn the moveset from other characters and mix them. A Emerl version is possible if you use the darkest shades of orange for one part of his color and the lighter shades of orange for the other part.

This wad gives some nice ideas for character wads. I only know 1 2.0 character which used Float. Now everyone can try out abilities and learn how they work. I don't know why noone did a Gamma wad yet, would've been a good idea.

The only thing I don't like are the missing abilities:
CA_SWIM
My first thought on that was big, but you already used Lavender, then I thought about bark(from sonic the fighters) and the peach color but that isn't a well known character. Vector with green color would probably work the best.

Edit: Shadow uses the Homing Attack, forgot about it.
CA_HOMINGTHOK
GREEENEYES, I've asked MI about changing the startcolor with lua(so this could have changing eye color for greeneyes) but it isn't possible, so you would probably have to use neon green for this.

Fallswitch resets the Z speed(It's Z in srb2 and y in most other games) so if you use it while moving up, you stomp down and if you use it while falling you do a bounce.

Airdrill goes way higher than the double jump and I think it has some other uses too.(Skip the first part of ERZ2 !) Maybe you could create a custom lua animation so metal uses the spring sprites to spin while using airdrill(I could do the spring sprites for metal)
Edit:
He uses different spring and fall sprites, so no sprites are needed.
The color on the signpost doesn't change, maybe you can fix that. Metal Sonic's death sprite is always silver/grey for me, possible bug ? Sonic's Thok is also silver instead of steel blue(shadow's works).
Can you maybe create a version that only changes powers on levels and not if the player dies ?

His action sprites need to be fixed so that he doesn't move up/down and he maybe needs custom sprites for the different actions. Some of Metal's Sprites have black colored parts, which look very strange with light colors.
A very good character wad, now you only need to add the missing abilities and this is finished.

Here are my thoughts about the different abilities:
Thok/Fly/Glide&Climb are the abilities that everyone knows, they work great and are good in end game.

Swim is... useless ? It's infinite and you get waterrun with it, but that only helps in DSZ and maybe in some other stages, so you are playing as a character with almost no abilities most of the time.

Homing is ok, it's only 1/2 or 1/3 the speed of a thok, it can allow the player to get easy points or attack enemies without a problem, but later on RVZ with the upside down springs and the metal sonic race, a character with thok is way better than a character with homing. It doesn't work well on the first phase of CEZ's boss. It's almost as good as a thok but not that good in 2.1 anymore.

Double Jump/Slowfall both ok abilities. Double Jump is a nice extra jump which can be very useful and slowfall is ok, it would be one of the great abilities if it wouldn't go down that fast.

Float this is even better than supersonic's float, you can slow down without falling down. This ability can be better but sometimes a bit worse than the 3 normal abilities, so I'd say that it's on their level and a good abilitiy. If you know how to get to a high point of a map, you can use it to fly over a lot of the levels.

Telekinesis/Fallswitch/Airdrill this are the gimmicky abilities.
Telekinesis only pushes around enemies and doesn't damage them with it, exept for the spike enemy in RVZ. Even swim did give you something good for a special type of level, while this is almost useless, so you are playing as a character with no abilities and enemy pushing.

Fallswitch can be useful for platforming but it isn't as good as one of the main abilities. If you have this with multiability, then you can slowly go higher or almost float in midair.

Airdrill can be somewhat good. The jump resets your movement speed and is almost as high as a triple jump, which allows you to skip some parts of the level or the beginning of ERZ2. If you hold it down you can dive down, useful for THZ and DSZ but not anywhere else.

Jumpboost is a gimmicky ability too but it can be very useful.

Glide/Fly/Thok/Float/Double Jump/Jumpboost/Homing/Slowfall/Airdrill/Fallswitch/Swim/Telekinesis

Thoughts about the different characters:
Sonic
feels a bit slower, not sure if he is

Tails
Action frames need to be fixed so that it doesn't go up/down all the time, feels like tails.

Knuckles
He needs the action frames fix too and maybe custom climb frames. His Jump Height isn't reduced so he can take the normal paths, maybe fix that ?

Amy
The black pixels on metal sonic are visible here, but that's a problem with the sprites and not the ability.
Amy's acceleration is almost too slow, it's difficult to get over the wall on ERZ 1(the lava room with the snailer).
Does she have multiability ? The double jump could be a bit higher but it's ok like that.

Metal
Fast acceleration and lower top speed than sonic ? I think metal sonic plays well and the jump boost is a good ability.

Mecha Sonic
You tried to balance him for the ability. I don't think that float is that OP, you can't move up while using it, but it's infinite.
I can see why a big robot like Mecha Sonic would have slow acceleration, but this has the same problems like amy and is very slow underwater. His speed is good if you can reach and keep it.

Silver
Fast acceleration and low top speed. The ability isn't that great but his stats are useful.

Espio
Ok stats, not fast but also not slow. Fallswitch isn't that great but it works for platforming.

E-102
Slow acceleration(faster than amy or silver sonic) and low top speed, plays like gamma. Slow Fall is ok, multiability makes it more useful.

Blaze
A bit faster than Espio, Airdrill isn't that great but it's a good ability for blaze.

Shadow
Does this one use Speedwagons stats or are they custom ? A good character, but homing attack isn't that great.

I think that all of the characters are fun to play as, but some are better than others.

Last edited:
This is perhaps one of the most interesting characters in 2.1 or any one we've seen in SRB2 so far. You never know what you're gonna get!

This is a great character to play as. It makes replaying the game so much better.
However, I found that when adding Rosy with this wad loaded, the game freezes, the colors mess up on the game and then it crashes. If i try to launch the game with both of the wads in any srb2 launcher, it doesn't open.

Well its not gonna change your mind but if you wanted a character whose stats wouldn't totally suck as a swimmer, there's always vector, I mean, he's a crocodile for god's sake, makes more sense than big anyway, and he could use neon green as a color choice, just putting it out there in case you do ever get the urge.
The fact that the character that represents it looks like hell isn't the problem, its that swim only does sh** (And barely that) in about 4 acts, really.

---------- Post added at 02:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 PM ----------

Metal Sonic's death sprite is always silver/grey for me, possible bug ?
Probably intended, its hard to fug up that hard.
Like, maybe it means metal (???) loses its "Flavor?".

---------- Post added at 02:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:40 PM ----------

Metal's jump boost: I have to say it is quite useful, maybe a bit OP when you use super sneakers.
Metal has... always had that ability so... Yeah.

The fact that the character that represents it looks like hell isn't the problem, its that swim only does sh** (And barely that) in about 4 acts, really.
If the swim character got 1.5 jump height, acceleration of silver and a medium speed, then it could probably work. Vector is the best for this because purple is already used up by another character and green isn't used.

I think that Metal Sonic needs to stay like he is now, he copied the abilities in heroes and is probably the most fitting character of the classic ones to copy abilites.

Emerl copys the moves of a character and the animations, so a lot of sprites would probably needed to do this. A way to get both colors changing would be to use the darkest shades of orange and the lightest ones.

I don't know why everyone wants Gemerl, he didn't even copy someone. I'd keep metal sonic for this and maybe make a Emerl version, but why Gemerl ?

I'd love to see it changed so that abilities are constantly cycling per tic until you hit your first input of the life. Maybe add a slot machine sound effect too, hehe.

It'd also be nice to see the ability text disappear automatically after showing for ten seconds or so. Having it on spawn is invaluable to figure out what some of the dumber abilities do, but once you have the information it's a tad redundant. That's a very insignificant quip I have, though.

This plays very well, but there is a flaw that bugs me a bit. The dialogue showing what's your ability/type isn't local so it overlaps the text in multiplayer if another player in the server is using Metal Anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back