SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > SRB2 Discussion

Old 03-10-2008   #541
:SonicMaster:
<0>_<0>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Warrior
It's actually a good thing, given that if you couldn't do so, NiGHTS race would be merely a drill spin across the map. It's a great way to gain an advantage.
If you get a NiGHTS race that's a total drill-fest, then the stage itself has issues. Darkmatter Freeway comes to mind, and I'd rate it a total 1/10 because, among other things, how you can drill dash for 35 seconds straight.
Old 03-11-2008   #542
Prime 2.0
Grape flavored
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRC
<Prime_2> this gives me an idea for SRB2.
<Ash|Editing> cool, prime
<Ash|Editing> what idea
<Prime_2> Eggman monitors
<Prime_2> I don't just want them to deal damage after a short delay.
<Prime_2> I want them to fucking explode
<Prime_2> and throw you back like a scatter ring to the face
This would preferably happen on impact, with lots of fire, monitpr-shaped shrapnel, and some area of effect so you can hit people with it in match and race. Points for doing so would be optional.

In any case, this would be for more than just looking(and sounding) awesome, but could also be used for speedruns when playing as tails or knuckles(I did mention that it ought to send you flying like a scatter ring to the face), or for one-shot challenges in which the player attempts to aim the knockback upwards, so that he lands in an area higher than could normally be reached. Point being, this would not only make the eggman monitor more kickass visually, but it would also give it some use in the game outside of the mild punishment for retarded people who don't associate robotnik's face with bad things.

I'd suggest implementing the 3D directional knockback before trying any fancy graphical stuff. the most important aspect of this is that it can contribute to the eggman moniter's value in the improvement of gameplay. If it works out all nice, then you can add cool pyrotechnics.

As a final note, if you were going to booby trap something that you knew was going to be smashed open, would you use some weird damage after delay system that nobody can understand, or would you stick some high yield explosives inside of it?

That's what I thought.
Science tells us that nothing can be proven, only rendered more likely to be true. If we do not question what we already know, how can we know, much less admit, when we're wrong? Such things are vital to progress.
Prime 2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008   #543
Prime 2.0
Grape flavored
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSNTails
Why not just create a whole new kind of explosive object?
Because that would just add more baggage... the point of the suggestion is to make the eggbox move valuable from a level design standpoint. If you make a separate explosive object, you just have one damaging item that you can use, and one that you can't, with little difference in implementation. So either the explosive object wouldn't be used at all, used exclusively as opposed to the eggbox, or only used where the designer believes you would have to use an aimed knockback. That doesn't make for good gameplay.

Seriously, though. What is the point of the eggbox when its in 3D? they're too easy to avoid... the only way to make them retain value as an item is to give them some sort of use that the player could exploit, and the explosion + directional knockback was a perfect fit.
Science tells us that nothing can be proven, only rendered more likely to be true. If we do not question what we already know, how can we know, much less admit, when we're wrong? Such things are vital to progress.
Old 03-11-2008   #544
SSNTails
What part of 'RETIRED' don't you understand?

By that logic, then why do we have spikeballs or spikes or fireballs?

And Mystic has seemed to have good uses for Eggman boxes.
Old 03-11-2008   #545
Prime 2.0
Grape flavored
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSNTails
By that logic, then why do we have spikeballs or spikes or fireballs?

And Mystic has seemed to have good uses for Eggman boxes.
Spikes are placed over a wide area, and generally force the player to jump over... and are not "expended" when hit. Spikeballs float, and serve as a valuable hurt-on-contact item in combination with other objects(like eggman). Fireballs bounce up and down through the air, and either force the player to time his jump, or jump around it, and can surprise a player who is speeding through the level. It also adds to the atmosphere of "lava" levels, such as RVZ.

All of those things serve a unique purpose... and regardless, the gains in gameplay to be had from the alteration to the eggbox should at least warrant a test of the concept. Plus, it would make them awesome.

Please, think of the awesome.
Old 03-12-2008   #546
<0>_<0>

Something to replace Adventure Example Zone, even though it won't be an Adventure level. Mystic said we weren't having a playable Adventure mode level in 1.1. Honestly, it's a really lame unlockable.

Better visuals for Spring Hill Zone. Personally, I don't like the ones we have now. They're too generic. Even Botanic Serenity Low-End is still nicer looking, and that's taking into account that playing it Software causes it to HOM.
Old 03-12-2008   #547
Sik

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRB2WikiSonicMaster
Something to replace Adventure Example Zone, even though it won't be an Adventure level. Mystic said we weren't having a playable Adventure mode level in 1.1. Honestly, it's a really lame unlockable.
Or somebody could make a good Adventure level instead :) (through the only really interesting thing from the Adventure mode is the analog control that only works in single player sadly).

Source of my avatar: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/427405
Zen forums: http://zenforums.ipbfree.com
Sik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008   #548
<0>_<0>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sik
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRB2WikiSonicMaster
Or somebody could make a good Adventure level instead :) (through the only really interesting thing from the Adventure mode is the analog control that only works in single player sadly).
Actually, I'm trying to make a map specifically tailored for this mode. Unplayable without the mode, in fact. I shouldn't be overly confident, though. I'm still semi-amateur. But I have already put three weeks of effort into it and it's still like only 90% complete.
Old 03-12-2008   #549
Ash
Permanently Banned

Linedef Executor: Change Thing X Position (Once)
Linedef Executor: Change Thing Y Position (Once)
Linedef Executor: Change Thing Z Position (Once)
Linedef Executor: Change Thing X Position (Each Time)
Linedef Executor: Change Thing Y Position (Each Time)
Linedef Executor: Change Thing Z Position (Each Time)
Linedef Executor: Change Thing X Position (Continuous)
Linedef Executor: Change Thing Y Position (Continuous)
Linedef Executor: Change Thing Z Position (Continuous)
(Add (Ring Count) to them, to have more of them, or, if you can control that with Flags, that'd work too.)
Floor Over Floor: Crumbling, Bobbing, Solid Collision (Respawn)
Floor Over Floor: Crumbling, Solid Collision (Respawn)
Floor Over Floor: Bobbing, Solid Collision
Floor Over Floor: Crumbling, Bobbing, Solid Collision (No Respawn)
Floor Over Floor: Crumbling, Solid Collision (No Respawn)
Floor Over Floor: Crumbling (Continuous), Bobbing, Solid Collision (No Respawn (Default))
Floor Over Floor: Crumbling (Continuous), Solid Collision (No Respawn (Default))

(What I mean by solid collision: This type of FOF reacts to another FOF touching it. As in, as it crumbles, if its floor touches the ceiling of another FOF, or its ceiling touches the floor of another FOF, it should stop, and not move anymore (until respawning, IF it has a respawn). Continuous Crumble is a concept I thought of while using these types of FOFs; if a crumbling FOF has no respawn, but it bobs, maybe it should be able to crumble each time it has the ability to fall? (solid collision))
Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008   #550
sonicfreak94

Show when somebody is typing while in a netgame, so you don't think they're just sitting there. Similar to any Instant Messanger.
sonicfreak94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008   #551
Ash
Permanently Banned

Sonicfreak, I think that could be accomplished with some sort of graphic floating above the player's head. You know, like when a player has a flag, it says "GOT FLAG!" above their heads. This also leads back to the original suggestion, player names above heads. =(
Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008   #552
SuperSonic64

Originally Posted by Ash
I got admined on the srb2mb and SigSevCafe
I'm an admin
HAHAAHA
I banned supersonic64.
=P
SuperSonic64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008   #553
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

Quake 3 used to have those, and it just made shooting people who were typing all the sweeter, because you KNEW they couldn't shoot back.
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008   #554
<0>_<0>

You know how if you drop your Rings in NiGHTS mode, you get points every time you recollect one of the Rings? I want that to not happen anymore.
Old 03-14-2008   #555
<0>_<0>

I always use console to talk, so I wouldn't need a save-message-in-progress feature. I just have my trusty gamepad to move, and I always keep console open at CON_HEIGHT 10. But this is good for those who don't have gamepads, so I agree: this should be in there.
Old 03-14-2008   #556
Sik

Except the Talk button by default is T and that is a character you can input :P

Old 03-16-2008   #557
Sik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaysakado
You can do that, if you're willing to give the player 50,000 points and an extra life for finishing a level under 30 seconds. Remember, you can make FOFs exit sectors, and you can make FOFs only appear for certain characters and you can make custom exit sectors and this is a run-on sentence, isn't it?
I could as well make teleports. But it only works with the three main abilities, while I was talking about taking into account the characters.

Old 03-17-2008   #558
fickleheart
ms reflec beat stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaysakado
You can do that, if you're willing to give the player 50,000 points and an extra life for finishing a level under 30 seconds.
Custom Exit. Noclimb flag. Whee, no points!
Old 03-17-2008   #559
Monster Iestyn
Friendly Neighbour-Hood

How about a special type of FOF that can be pushed in a certain horizontal direction (This means it has to be a polyobject...) for a certain limit. When you reach that limit, it cannot be moved. But once you let go of the directional button you used to push it (Most likely forward, but any direction in the case of having analog control on!), it will make you bounce off it with great force, while it moves back to it's original position.
I'm thinking that when you bounce off it, you will be spinning, and will be launched off the ground - not by a tremendous bit though...

Or maybe a special FOF that's Downwards and Upwards movement speeds can be adjusted separately - meaning you can have it going down like a crusher, but go up much slower.

That's an uppercase i, not a lowercase L, for the record. Also, it's pronounced "Yes-tin".
Monster Iestyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008   #560
Sik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Iestyn
How about a special type of FOF that can be pushed in a certain horizontal direction (This means it has to be a polyobject...) for a certain limit. When you reach that limit, it cannot be moved. But once you let go of the directional button you used to push it (Most likely forward, but any direction in the case of having analog control on!), it will make you bounce off it with great force, while it moves back to it's original position.
I'm thinking that when you bounce off it, you will be spinning, and will be launched off the ground - not by a tremendous bit though...
Also add a sector that does NOT bounce back, that servers just as a pushable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Iestyn
Or maybe a special FOF that's Downwards and Upwards movement speeds can be adjusted separately - meaning you can have it going down like a crusher, but go up much slower.
Can't you do it already moving both the ceiling and the floor of the control sector with the custom crusher linedefs?