Portal 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got the game for PC. :D

I'm on Chapter 6 in Single Player. And the title lies - there was a cake reference!
And I'm half way through Course 3 in co-op. I would be further, but my co-op partner had to go. (I think he's plotting against me. At least, that's what GLaDOS said.)

And who cares about the graphics? Sure, they're not as good as Portal 1's graphics, but the gameplay makes up for it.

Where was the cake reference then? I've been through the single player game twice and I haven't heard or seen one.

When you've almost fully escaped with Wheatley, you can portal into this room which says something like "GLaDOS Control Room and Cake Storage" or something like that.

Spoiler'd for those who haven't done that part yet.

I bought the PS3 edition, it's quite fun.
I'm on chapter 4 in Single Player, and I'm on course 4 in Coop. I had a blast playing COOP for hours.

Like several people pointed out, the replayability is quite low, the graphics are not impressive, and the story is pretty boring. There is also the problem that people who haven't bought the first game have no idea what the deal is with the main computer person.

At least I got two games in one - One for PS3 with a free code to download it on PC.

Pfft, hardly, the graphics aren't impressive? As in low quality? You're playing it on a console, try it on a PC at max. Replayability is actually quite high, I need to go through some of it again to get things I missed. I don't really think you need the first game to play the second, but if you haven't played the first as well then why not? No valid reason no to. Also, Valve aren't bound to make sure you understand everything if you haven't kept up with the franchise.

I bought the PS3 edition, it's quite fun.
I'm on chapter 4 in Single Player, and I'm on course 4 in Coop. I had a blast playing COOP for hours.

Like several people pointed out, the replayability is quite low, the graphics are not impressive, and the story is pretty boring. There is also the problem that people who haven't bought the first game have no idea what the deal is with the main computer person.

At least I got two games in one - One for PS3 with a free code to download it on PC.

If you play any Valve game for the graphics you're doing it wrong. Their graphics are never top of the line but their art style is amazing in nearly every game they make.

The re playability is low yeah I'll agree with you on that, but hey there's the Portal 2 SDK coming out whenever Valve releases it, and PS3 owners can play on the custom maps made as well.

How is the story boring? It's a well made story about how you should never let power take over you, and it's filled with some of the funniest insults I've ever heard.

If you play Co-op too much, I can see how the story is boring, because there's not much of a story in co-op apart from GLaDOS reacting to you doing dances in front of security cameras. Single player, however, is very story-intensive. :3

I just wish there was a "Puzzle Mode" or something, where you just do test chambers like Portal 1 and Co-op mode. :3

If you play any Valve game for the graphics you're doing it wrong. Their graphics are never top of the line but their art style is amazing in nearly every game they make.
I don't play for graphics. I just wanted to point out to not be amazed if you are a graphic whore.
The re playability is low yeah I'll agree with you on that, but hey there's the Portal 2 SDK coming out whenever Valve releases it, and PS3 owners can play on the custom maps made as well.
Really? That sounds awesome!
How is the story boring? It's a well made story about how you should never let power take over you, and it's filled with some of the funniest insults I've ever heard.
I'm comparing to the store to other retail games. I really didn't consider the constant comments and insults.

I agree, gameplay is far more important then anything else. This game is perfect on the gameplay element.
Pfft, hardly, the graphics aren't impressive? As in low quality? You're playing it on a console, try it on a PC at max.
I meant to say they aren't mind blowing. Ha ha, the PC. I can't try the PC version because PSN is down.

Last edited:
You don't need to. If you already created an account to sync to, you just go onto that account on your computer and put in the code that came with the game to activate it on Steam. No PSN needed. Just playing on Co-op isn't allowed on the PS3 version at the moment.
*rages*

You don't need to. If you already created an account to sync to, you just go onto that account on your computer and put in the code that came with the game to activate it on Steam. No PSN needed. Just playing on Co-op isn't allowed on the PS3 version at the moment.
I put in the code, it says I have to go on PSN and sign in onto Steam.

Sick of cake jokes? Portal 2 will have no cake!
We now know there is actually a cake reference, heck, maybe someone will find something more than just a reference soon. Time to change topic title back to "Portal 2", if you ask me.

Co-op somewhat has a story. Complete the mobility gel chambers and you'll see. Now for real spoiler: you find the vault of human test subjects locked away for years. Now GLaDOS has more subjects! :V and it has it's own credits sequence too.

I finished the game a couple of days ago. For quite a long time it's pretty boring just testing for GLaDOS again.
When Wheatley shows up to help you escape again, it gets pretty exciting.
Co-op is pretty replayable though, you have different experiences with everyone you play with. For PC there are custom maps so I think it'll take a while for it to lose it's replay value. Graphics whores: Max settings are impressive but don't expect to see Crysis 2-type eye candy. It's not THAT pretty(take it from someone who owns a GTX 560 ti) but it does well in all cases. For those concerned about the ending song: It's quite catchy but I honestly enjoyed Still Alive better.

We now know there is actually a cake reference, heck, maybe someone will find something more than just a reference soon. Time to change topic title back to "Portal 2", if you ask me.

The thing is, the cake reference is just so little, as the only ever mention of it is on a single door (which I myself have yet to find) in the game.

I really didn't consider the constant comments and insults.
Actually, that is what makes the story, considering that comments and insults are the only words ever spoken. The basic idea behind the story isn't new (then again, what is?), but the way they do it is pretty cool.

Actually, that is what makes the story, considering that comments and insults are the only words ever spoken. The basic idea behind the story isn't new (then again, what is?), but the way they do it is pretty cool.

I agree. The comments are hilarious especially some of the ones when you abuse an emote in front of a camera.

I finally beat the game! (And Portal 1!)
This game must have had the best climax to a game I have ever played!
Blasting Wheatley to the moon must have been one of the best things ever in a video game to happen

Guess while I'm at it... looks like there's a complete neutral list now with the cores

halolz-dot-com-portal2-personalitycorealignmentchart.jpg

On a related matter I took a liking to the adventure sphere after seeing him in the boss fight.

I just saw that elsewhere a minute ago. I don't really get why the Fact Core is classified as lawful evil - It seemed too demented to be either law-abiding or malicious. But that slot had to be occupied by something.

Otherwise, it's great.

Portal 2 authoring tools beta(SDK) is out now.

I'm trying to make a basic room but I get mostly a black screen when loading, the compiler doesn't warn be about leaks...

Well, you could always load the pointfile in an attempt to find the leak in question. If there isn't a pointfile, then there isn't a leak, and your problem is something else.

Also, this tool is invaluable.

Last edited:
Well, you could always load the pointfile in an attempt to find the leak in question. If there isn't a pointfile, then there isn't a leak, and your problem is something else.

Also, this tool is invaluable.

Turns out the Valve developer wiki is sorta outdated or something, because it's method of making a room is really buggy and leads to what I experienced.

But that tool is great, thanks for showing it to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back