The Last Airbender

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice

Pretty chill guy
I haven't seen the movie myself, but from what I've heard, the movie is complete garbage. Hell, rottentomatoes (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/last_airbender/) gave it an 8%. That's less than a 1/10.

I didn't really expect any better from the start. This movie had a lot of things going against from the beginning.
1. Cartoon doesn't translate too well into live action
2. M. Night Shyamalan was directing it
3. The main characters are white.
(Yes, this is a valid complaint. In short: The movie is getting railed for racist remarks due to most of the cast being white; while in the show itself, a majority of the cast appears to be of Asian/Inuit descent. ~Inuyasha)

Despite all of these things, I still wanted to watch it, if not for the cool effects and the environments from Avatar. But now that I've heard of all the inconsistencies and bad decisions Shyamalan took when directing this, I don't think I'll even rent it.

Anyone see it? Comments?

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't see it, and I refuse to. Due to the fact that the trailer made it look like it came up from the "Let's pretend to be Dramatic" book, which made me get bored of it already. It also looks overall stupid, I'm not sure what went through the writer's head but, this surely isn't Avatar.

Like, for instance, it doesn't look like it came up with a general translation to the cartoon (As Ice stated) and the supposedly "action parts" seem so poorly done, I got Memory Headaches remembering it's as bad as the so called stunts from Power Rangers.

Regardless It's awful, too dramatically boring, and it doesn't fit Avatar at all. Also, it doesn't even look like anything humorous was put into it, That was one of the main charms the cartoon had. Man, this made me mad, because Avatar was one of my Favorite current gen cartoons; It's like a Sonic '06 scenario all over again.

Last edited:
I was horribly, horribly, HORRIBLY disappointed. Even more so that the fact that I was already let down knowing that M. night Shamalamadingdong was directing it, but this was a complete abomination. It's impossible to pick out one particular thing about why it was so bad because THE FILM FAILS IN NEARLY EVERY ASPECT.

The plot is horribly rushed and incomprehensible
The characterization is non-existent, unless you like Katara summing up everything via a bland voiceover exposition.
The dialogue is LAUGHABLE. "We believe in our beliefs as much as they believe in our beliefs"
The action that was so advertised in the trailers...well, let's just say that this was the "best" action scene in the entire movie.
The acting was pathetic, though I'm willing to give some of the actors some props. Jackson Rathbourne seemed like he was trying to capture as much of Sokka...er, Soh-ka as the abysmal script would allow him, and most of us know that Dev Patel is already a decent actor (slumgdogmillionaireplease). Shaun Tohb also seemed like a decent actor, and he was probably the only one who managed to translate any of the characters from the series with the character of Iroh, dah...EE-roh. But the acting was very abysmal.

I won't say anything about the racebending issue. I realize that there's been a gigantic controversy about casting Caucasians as the protagonists and then making the evil Fire Nation an nation whose denizens bear a striking resemblance to the people of India. But I'm one of those people who believes that making a big deal about racism is identical to being trolled (I dunno, real life isn't always the Internet, though).

It was a horrible, god-awful, terrible, miserable, mind-numbing and heart-crushing experience. Especially since the original series is one of my favorite stories of all time.

It deserves its below-10% rating on the Tomatometer. It's just goddamned awful.

EDIT: By the way, there are two FX failures in that clip I posted. at 00:04, the skin tone of Ringer's face changes a bit, which basically shows that there was little to no effort in covering up his stunt double in that shot. And then there's the soldiers not even budging after being trapped by an "ice cage" at 00:17.....even BEFORE they're completely trapped.

Last edited:
Personally, I hope it's "so bad it's good" when I go see it. But really, I expected this from the beginning.

A friend of mine saw it pre release and told me about a large amount of changes, at which point my hopes were a little dashed, then when I read [url="http://www.racebending.com/v3/general/the-last-airbender-film-changes-from-the-cartoon-series/]this[/url], I figured out it would at least be good for a couple of laughs.

A problem I noticed right off the bat was that M. Night Salmonlawn created this because the cartoon "could make a good movie". That doesn't sound like he had a ton of inspiration. More like trying to leech off of the show's popularity. For a movie to be based off something great like Avatar, it would be better focusing less on action scenes and effects and instead more on plot, backstory, and character development. 'Cause the cartoon defiantly had a ton of that.

Multiple votes from different critics tallied up into a general score?

The tomatometer represents the ratio of critics who scored the movie as a percieved "fresh" (which I believe qualifies as a 60% or higher).

There is an approximation of the average score to the right of the meter, though (which is 2.8 in this case).

I just watched this movie yesterday. All I have to say, big disappointment. :|
The movie sucked so much... the actors were all out of line and most of the story was just squished up story lines of the original (and better) avatar show...
Oh and also, I think that the only funny part in the movie was when that white haired princess girl (I forgot her name >.<) died. She was supposed to be holding on to the fish and giving her life force to it... but instead, she just walked into the water and died.

Last edited:
Well first off seeing the actors potraying the movie made me already think it was going to be a bad movie(Sure they got a child actor for aang but that meant nothing) then seeing the action in the movie from the trailers it actually looked good. I still want to go see it but if you ask me in the action scenes in the trailer they use slow motion a little too much but thats just me.

The action scenes are usually short, and even in full-motion, the moves are too slow. I think the biggest disappointment in all of this is how the big water creature that Aang creates in the Avatar state is replaced by him rising the ocean. I can't believe the master of special effects wasn't able to achieve that.

I asked around, and it pretty much seems like the movie was good if you haven't seen the show, and horrible if you did see it. At least story-wise. I can't wait to see Book 2 butchered up next year.

They got Aang's name wrong. Ong? SERIOUSLY?

I didn't even see the movie, but that alone tells me that M. Night Shamingwiththelama had no clue what he was doing.

Thus, this goes right in the trash bin with Alvin, Garfield, the Smurfs, and the future live action Felix the Cat. Note: Oh god, why are they ruining Felix the Cat?

They also call Sokka "So Kah" and Iroh "E row". Let's not forget "Agne kee".

Which is interesting when you consider that "Agni Kai" actually meant something, though it was rather spliced together.

The Avatar Wiki said:
  • The word "Agni Kai" was created by using two already existing words. Agni is a Sanskrit word meaning 'fire', related to the Latin word for fire ignis, from which English derives the words ignite, ignition etc. Agni is also the god of fire in Hinduism, and may be represented as fire, lightning or the Sun.
  • Kai is the Japanese word for 'meeting'. It is most commonly used in the sense of a business meeting, but it can also mean a general meeting of two or more people.

So when you change "kai" to "ki" what does it become?

I watched an interview with M. Night Shyamalan in regards to The Last Airbender, and he said that he changed the names because "they sounded more asian this way".
Motherfucker.
Also, firebenders can't make their own fire. That little detail changed them from one of the most dynamic and powerful races to the most limited. Great decision! >_>

I pretty much knew that it was going to suck when I saw the first trailer, which explained pretty much none of the backstory other than "Kid must save world. Watch kid save world."

M. Night Shyamalan just furthers that belief. Cartoons rarely translate well into live-action movies, just like books, video games, and anything that hasn't appeared in another sort of media first (Except for comic books, those adaptions tend to be decent apparently).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back