Criticize your favorite game(s)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice

Pretty chill guy
What the title said, point out what you thought was horrible about the games you love.

Bioshock - Fucking fetch quests. You can't walk 20 feet without something happening to this part of the level that makes you go to that part of the level in order to get through the first part. It gets you to explore the entire place, but really, so much backtracking can get severely redundant. The experience is immersive, though, and well worth any grind it puts you through.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 - The spring suit was very annoying, the water controls were hard to get used to, and the gliding parts felt like they just needed a gimmick to pull off with the wiimote, which didn't work well.
Also, the way Mario takes fire damage. When he bounces back onto a solid platform, he bounces AGAIN, and runs super fast for a while. This makes it frustrating to try to regain control and usually ended up in death. Other than those things, however, it's a really great game.

Halo series - Unrealistic on the whole, repetitive level design, annoying flood-only levels, guns that sound and act like toys, enemies are too chatty to take seriously, online community consists of little kids and assholes, and a pretty unmotivated plot. However, the combat is fun, the art direction is great, games are colorful (as opposed to shooters which only use the colors of the dirt spectrum), and the music is fantastic.

Your turn!

Half-Life - I dunno if it's an issue on the consoles, but sometimes on Steam-downloaded version it seems that the games default jumping height is lower than it should, making required jumps impossible unless you break out the console. Also, health and armor are very thinly spread out, which came as a shock because I had played the very health-friendly Half-Life 2 first. In one of my saved Half-Life games, it's nearly impossible to progress because I only have a sliver of health and damned houndeyes keep ambushing me before I can kill them all after exiting my hidey-hole.

Pokemon SoulSilver - Gameplay is kind of dull after no major changes in three generations of games. The fact that you have to wait ten days at a time to catch the rare Hoenn and Sinnoh 'mons in the Safari Zone is super weak, and I just hate the concept of the Safari Zone in the first place. In SoulSilver as well as the original Gold and Silver, the regular trainers are too thinly spread out and too weak to be even a slightly fun challenge, though I know this was probably done to keep your party's levels low through two regions.

Last edited:
Half-Life - I dunno if it's an issue on the consoles, but sometimes on Steam-downloaded version it seems that the games default jumping height is lower than it should, making required jumps impossible unless you break out the console. Also, health and armor are very thinly spread out, which came as a shock because I had played the very health-friendly Half-Life 2 first. In one of my saved Half-Life games, it's nearly impossible to progress because I only have a sliver of health and damned houndeyes keep ambushing me before I can kill them all after exiting my hidey-hole.
I think I know the exact spot you're in, and if it's the one I think it is, there should be some desks and pet cages. Jump on top of them, and pick the houndeyes from above. I had low health there too and found that part to be pretty hard.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii - There are usually some levels that have specific gimmiks like level 2-4 with the wind gusts that are fucking hard to survive. But once you make it through the level, you feel proud of yourself because you were able to navigate a very annoying level that most other people might have just given up on.

Portal- Holy shit doesn't it get tiring seeing the same gimmicks again and again? Also could use more texture variation to make it seem like the place your in isn't some huge bathroom.
Team Fortress 2- They could AT LEAST stop letting the community make shitty weapons that ruin the fucking game.
Halo 3: ODST- Ironically, the AI's don't do shit to help you, same as in Halo 3. In fact, if you see them shooting something, you realize their bullets don't do ANY damage.
Half-Life 2- Makes you wait till the scripted scenes in which the AI's talk(which is fucking long btw) is over for you to get on with the game.

In regards to ODST: Throughout the course of the game, about 4 or 5 men take out about 2 or 3 armies worth of covenant. With that kind of achievement under their belts (along with the fact that they're supposed to be the weaker guys), you have to wonder:
Why the hell are the humans losing?

Portal- Holy shit doesn't it get tiring seeing the same gimmicks again and again? Also could use more texture variation to make it seem like the place your in isn't some huge bathroom.
Team Fortress 2- They could AT LEAST stop letting the community make shitty weapons that ruin the fucking game.
Halo 3: ODST- Ironically, the AI's don't do shit to help you, same as in Halo 3. In fact, if you see them shooting something, you realize their bullets don't do ANY damage.
Half-Life 2- Makes you wait till the scripted scenes in which the AI's talk(which is fucking long btw) is over for you to get on with the game.

Just to let you know, cursing a lot on purpose doesn't make you look cool. It just makes you look like a jackass.

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - Aside from the obvious "same engine as Ocarina of Time" thing, the game seemed somewhat short if you played the main story alone. Especially with people expecting a 'bigger' adventure than the prequel. The fact you can only truly save by going back in time makes the game more challenging, but if you have somewhere to go, you'll have to keep your console on, or use the owl statues, though with me, it was confusing the first time and I ended up losing my save. And to nitpick, when slowing down the flow of time, it causes the residents of Clocktown's schedules to slow down also, so when someone arrives at a certain area at a specific time, they end up walking very slow. The reused models from Ocarina of Time. Also, almost every port of the game seems to be very crappy.

Sonic & The Black Knight - As people have complained in the past, the sword system is a bit choppy and takes a while to get use to how the actual thing works. Personally I thought this game would of been better if it was an actual film. They have the soundtrack, the environments, the characters? it would have more potential that way.

Crash Bandicoot 3 - The Rising Water gimmick - God damn it I hate these. You see like a puddle, oh yeah no problem *go to run across it* then it floods and instantly swallows you up and drowns you. It doesn't help the level feels quite cramped as well.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles - Several things.

Boss Difficulty - I understand if the carts are seperate, the difficulty should be easy to hard, but when merged together, they should increase the difficulty each zone or something and Knuckles is a joke, yet he's in Zone 11 for god's sake. I felt the battles were fairly easy. Lucky Sonic 4 has a twist with their bosses.

Sandopolis Zone - The level is so damn big & dragging and it takes a while to complete. It also has some of the most annoying enemies in the game such as those ghosts which constantly respawn and especially Skorp who is a little bitch. When you get close, he can whip you with his spike tail when he enters the frame which is almost unavoidable, and his spike tail has stupid recoil too.

I'll find some more games to critisise when I feel like it.

@Jacy: Ducking is your best friend for that type of gimmick. It stop you from getting caught from the wind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back