DSZ1 Secret Area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zubat

GFZ (WIP) theme enthusiast
Okay so I'm messing around with devmode and the map function in the game, but then I saw something that looked... out of place. I turned on noclip to check it out, and I found something I've never seen before even though I've been playing this game for years. Gif below.
72tPDKx.gif
I can't break through the wall by spinning, or even by bashing it down with Knuckles. Later through the area, there are solid walls that stop the player. I couldn't find out how to get those to go down either.

So my question is, how do I access this area without cheating? Are there more secret areas in the game similar to this that nobody has talked about, other than the hidden path in RVZ?

Last edited:
Okay so I'm messing around with devmode and the map function in the game, but then I saw something that looked... out of place. I turned on noclip to check it out, and I found something I've never seen before even though I've been playing this game for years. Gif below.
72tPDKx.gif
I can't break through the wall by spinning, or even by bashing it down with Knuckles. Later through the area, there are solid walls that stop the player. I couldn't find out how to get those to go down either.

So my question is, how do I access this area without cheating? Are there more secret areas in the game similar to this that nobody has talked about, other than the hidden path in RVZ?

10chars

Dammit, first RVZ and now DSZ. What is it with you guys and super duper ultra secret areas that nobody will EVER find without using a map editor?

If there were no map editors, then not a soul would ever see these areas. So what's the point of even making them?

If you find a secret area added during the patching cycle, particularly if it's hidden in a way that makes Crash 2's secret entrances look like giant neon signs pointing to treasure hoards, it was probably Inu's fault.

It's a very silly secret area. I do like the idea with the intermittent waterfalls and hope it shows up in the DSZ remake in some form or another (albeit toned down).

Wow that's obscure. Consider me impressed, I thought I knew everything about the current version. When I get time I'll go ahead and use doombuilder to comb through the rest of the game for obscure secrets. (there's this one, the RVZ one and a hidden path in CEZ2 Im aware of)

Yeah, I actually was gonna hide the three heroines of Freedom Planet there with a message "Greetings from Avalice!", but Mystic explicitly vetoed references to anything outside of SRB2 itself. (Although I think there are still Touhou references in Aquatic Temple Zone and Icicle Falls, which makes that a bit infuriating.) However, since the path was extremely well-hidden and actually has some form of utility (it allows players - well, Knuckles, at least - to return to the start of DSZ1 if they really need to), the path stayed in. Similar to the hidden outdoor area in RVZ1, really; that one had one of the kanji from Inu's name in it originally, but that got nixed while the path itself remained.

Might even still have GIFs of the code that produced the message/showed the characters in action, but said code was never checked into the SVN and has long since been lost.

Last edited:
I was initially told via the Wiki that the location of this secret was in the hallway located just under the exit that only Knuckles could access, all the minutes I spent searching for a switch down there until I found out the switch was in the shadowed area opposite of the exit.

I was also disappointed that the secret area's bonus for completing it was just six extra lives; no emblems or whatnot.

Somehow I actually knew about this secret path, and have for a while now. And I know that I found it on my own, because I specifically remember being all proud of myself when I discovered it and figured out how to access it.

I have no idea how it happened, though. I never go into the map editor, so I must have found it with noclip. But even then, I can't remember how I could possibly have found that switch and known to push a gargoyle onto it, then increase the water level.

...This is really bizarre. I know of something but have zero memory of how I know it!

Similar to the hidden outdoor area in RVZ1, really; that one had one of the kanji from Inu's name in it originally, but that got nixed while the path itself remained.

As a player, I think it's really neat to stumble across random stuff like kanji - things that are strangely out of the place in the game. The 'Sonikku' got me curious enough to do some research, and I found out a lot about the game that way. I'm sure you guys have reasons for removing Inu's name, but I thought I'd point out how that type of stuff positively affected me as a player.

Right, that GIF I mentioned. I'd rather not embed it, since it's like 18MB, but here's what it looked like.

In retrospect, it's probably for the best that it didn't make it in, since the art style of Freedom Planet's sprites kind of clashes with SRB2's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back