Advice About Making a Hangout Map

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkBones

Hi, I was thinking about making a hangout map for my server, but I've got a few questions about it.

1) What kind of things are good to have in a hangout map?

2) How would I make it constantly new, exciting, and enjoyable?

3) How would I keep other servers from shamelessly using my map without permission?

Please reply with your advice, its really appreciated!

EDIT:
...if you really want a good example, search for SF94...
IKR? SF94 is the map pack that inspired me!

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure not a lot of people here like hangout/RP maps, but if you really want a good example, search for SF94. It's pretty much all you want in a hangout map- places to explore, secrets, nice detailed things, stuff like that. Just Google SF94 Serv and you'll find it.

1)Try looking at SF94's maps and see what made them good.

2)That can't be solved, everything loses it's charm no matter what eventually.

3)Can't be solved either, you have no control over other people that aren't in your server, nor in real life.

I suggest not releasing this on the forums, seeing as a lot of people I know don't like hangout/RP maps.

But as Rawr said;

Originally posted by Metal-Rawr
places to explore, secrets, nice detailed things

And try making a rollercoaster in SRB2, it's hard or impossible to do, but if it's possible, it might be fun to try.

1) Very few visual glitches, a vast yet detailed map with a lot of variation between areas so that players always know where they are, and polish.

2) You could try having a control room only accessible by the host that changes the map drastically before the players get there; the host spawns in the room and can warp into the level with a teleporter. Fiddle with linedef executors, too, and see if you can come up with some cool puzzles!

3) The most difficult things for people who try to integrate levels into their own packs are custom textures and SOCs; if you drop a bunch of custom textures into TEXTURE2 and sign your name in the level it should deter the lesser thieves. Having SOCS that are necessary for the level to work correctly should help.

Here's what I think:

Hangout maps should have a lot to do, and not be just running and standing places. There should be things that do stuff, and should not be hideously large. Like previously stated, a GREAT example of this is SF94-Serv. That has some serious effort put into it, with awesome doors and NPCs and a nice polished feel. There are some hangout maps which just go for the "make things as big as possible" feel, like house2.wad and it's derivatives (die.wad and it's derivatives is terrible too, though I like the plane.). I feel that map's just running, and contains nothing to make me keep playing. No interesting visuals, no hidden areas, nowhere to actually GO.. nothing. Except a boringly big house. I honestly don't get why people like this map.

If you played 1.09.4, I also recommend looking at SRB2JTE's "SA City". While generally hated due to the stricter rules of the 1.09.4 MS at the time, but I personally thought it was a fun map, if a bit too big. It did have a lot of interesting places in it though, like the arena (Camera angles FTW!) and the house design was neat. I quite enjoyed messing about in this map, though SF94-Serv's map is quite a bit better in comparison.

The old 1.09.4 wad SRB2City was fun as well, having a hangout style to it, but actually being a full-on match map. It had a few interesting places and was fun to explore. You should take a few pages from that book, too. ;o

Few examples for ya, anyway.

I wouldn't even bother making one, as it takes a lot of time and hangout is quite Dumb, IMO. But try adding a lot of missions, it'll make it much better, because People who don't like hangout that much can go through the missions, meaning there will be more people using it and coming to your server to play. Also, it can be played in Single Player and actually be fun.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back