How would you organize a team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shardvex

I have been working on many projects for srb2 recently, and progress is going slow. It just doesn't work trying to run a one man show.

I'm not exactly sure how to put this, how would I go about organizing a team that will WORK? (Meaning work, and work together.)

Especially for a hobby project, a "team" is just formed out of people you are friendly with, and know relatively well. They also must be talented.

The Sky Sanctuary team is comprised primarily of people that the original devteam were friendly with, because as friends naturally go, "one conversation leads to doing favors, which leads to getting work done for the game." It kinda' happens naturally. You can also cherrypick talents for people you don't know, but in the end, both people will have to want to work with each other. It's the same way with getting a job.

ie: I made mrt-Chaoticlevels (link to that in my signature). It had all those gametypes, but lacked a ctf level. Metal Fighter pm'd me, and offered to help by making a ctf level. I know I can't make one, since my sense of symmytry sucks. A lot. So what he did helped a lot. If only I could make one...

Shout out for volunteers is what I often do in my IRC channel. Often times I'm lucky because people are willing to help. For reasons I'm not sure of, albeit my best guess would probably be because either they have experience working with me in the past, my friendly attitude toward them, and/or the fact that they know I won't produce sub-par/rubbish material.

I'm not sure how well it would go over with you because either not many people know what material you can produce; whether it be good or poor, we can't make that assumption. Or the way you handle your team while working on and off the project.

I'm not saying you don't have a chance of assembling a team, but it might not seem likely. My suggestion to you is to try producing some material on your own, build a friendly environment with your peers before you start working, then assemble volunteers who make the basis on whether or not to help you out on a project. They will be able to base the work you produce on their effort of involvement.

I can tell you from experience that I'm able to work well with others.

EDIT: Whoops, I just noticed now that I might be restating what Digiku had previously stated. Oh well, I guess it can't be helped.

Thanks for the tips.

Although Mystery Cheese, I'm not as interested in finding consistent (or talented) workers, as I am with finding team workers. I think I know how to start now...

There are 2 reasons why I help others.
1. Because the other person might really need help.
2. Because I'm a nice guy and I will help anyone who needs help. ^_^

Yeah, you sure help rail people...

(Don't take me seriously, ever.)

And, I am guessing that was sort of an "offer" to help? Am I right?

Well, I probably will ask for help, as soon as I get back to wad editing, which will be when I get past this school.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back