"The wads transfered from servers"

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocky

Kay
Recently, some servers had weird wads such: pokemon.wad, powertails.wad and different versions of the maps of srb2 2.0

That is even allowed to do on srb2?

Because the wads I mentioned are full of bugs and maybe it can damage the game.

Please someone stop that or else your srb2 game can be next to get damaged.

My Srb2 2.0 wasn't damaged because i stopped the download in time.

Recently, some servers had weird wads such: pokemon.wad, powertails.wad and different versions of the maps of srb2 2.0

That is even allowed to do on srb2?

Please someone stop that or else your srb2 game can be next to get damaged.

WADs are Doom's, the game SRB2 was modded off of, add-on file. As WADs are add-ons, SRB2 encourages quality WADs on the MS. When one loads a WAD, it's loaded into memory, not the main file itself. The bugs could cause the game, in a worst-case scenario, to Sig-Sev. At the moment, I believe no WAD is currently banned.

I'd hate to come off as extremely blunt, but... how on earth do you know whether or not the wads are full of bugs... if you didn't even fully download them? That doesn't even make any sense.

Frankly, this is just plain paranoia. There are some pretty crappy wads out there, no doubt about that, but there's not a chance in hell of them breaking your copy of SRB2, least of all if you aren't running on modified source code (which chances are, you're not). It modifies graphics, maps and characters, and really not much beyond that. When it comes to stuff you get off servers on the MS, there's really nothing to panic about at all.

I could understand it being a crap wad that SIGSEGVs due to some reason or other and Crashes, Or just a horribly done wad. It could even be someone testing an unfinished multiplayer wad for all we know! What ever the reason, just restarting SRB2 should fix it.

Yeah, WADs can't damage anything. If they're bad, they're bad and that's it. They don't do harm to your SRB2 copy at all.

Blacklightning, I knew because after that i download them from the net on google because I knew the names.

SpriritCrusher, I think you're wrong, because my srb2.srb file was modified and I couldn't play on Srb2.

I had to reinstall Srb2 again AND IT JUST SUCKED.

That's why I made this thread, to you guys don't get with your file modified and corrupted.

Edit: Oh, blacklightning, I know its sounds like paranoia but please let me talk, I'm just warning people. I'm sorry if I sounded like a creep or something.

Last edited:
WAD files cannot modify srb2.srb. All WAD files do is temporarily add data when you add them to the game. When you shut the game down, their effect ends entirely until you readd them. Something ELSE would have to have caused your srb2.srb to become edited, because WAD files can't do that.

Wads can't modify SRB2's source codes in any way,they just temporally affect the game memory,when you restart the game the modified data will be erased.

Well, thanks for the help Mystic. Perhaps it was just a coincidence.
Thanks guys for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back