mtf_ThunderCoilZone.wad

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZarroTsu

Over The Speed Limit
"Thunder Coil Zone" from the Nov/Dec OLDC.

Thunder Coil Zone -- Creator commentary.

I'd first like to point out, upon playing the match pack, that the area around the "Lightning rod" (in the middle of the map, can't miss it.) SHOULD NOT BE WORKING LIKE THAT, AS FULL SECTOR DAMAGE. Only the floor should be, and it completely baffles me as to WHY this is happening. The only explanation is the last-minute addition of the exitsector/flagreturn effect I added to the sector as to return the flag of anyone who fell down there (Since re-attaining the flag on damage-floor is nigh impossible), to which I question why the hell it applied this form of action to the sector. Seriously game. I wanted a fair means of flag return, not you TOTALLY RUINING THE MAP. It's a total punch to the gut seeing something reliably stated completely turn against you; and even more-over, I can't just say "Oh hey guys, use this version rather than the one officially included in the map pack. Sorry about that." (Okay I can, but that'd look bad.)

A too-late realization that also struck me is that I had forgotten the addition of emerald starts, as I was much more focused on level design and ring placement than I was a minor gimmick. Even so, with an aerial setting with a large bottomless pit around the majority of the level, super form comes as a massive double-edged sword. It's hard to say now, but perhaps the lack of any such gimmick is for the best, assuming people don't jump at the lack of emeralds. (at least 4 people will.)

One of the things I'd have liked was a much easier method for accessing the topmost part of the center 'building'. I tried different springs in different locations, but the yellow spring was far too low, and red springs would generally overshoot the whole thing, and make players a screaming target for others who already got up there to get rail. There are a few means for sonic to get up there, however; just use your imagination. (And game physics.)

Something to largely make note of is Mach's part in it. He essentially supplied the rough layout for what the final version is. In play-testing it, it was ironically fun despite several flaws, and so I jumped at the chance to try my hand at it, and essentially overhauled the whole thing into a much more player-friendly map with several goodies in store, without completely breaking things. The general comparison you can make is from other maps Mach entered into the contest. They aren't necessarily BAD, they just need a lot of polish, and a more open feel.

But I digress, if anyone wants the map without that last-minute sector screw-over, PM me before rating it, and I'll give you the "un-fixed" version. Otherwise, I'd appreciate the topic-wide knowledge that it isn't suppost to work like that.

(Why the hell would I deliberately want to do something so stupid and game-breaking?)

• Fixed the coil issue. The only problem is if a flag gets lost down on the electric floor, you'll need to wait the 30 seconds for it to respawn at the base, unless you can manage to throw it on to the recovery platform down there.

• Added Emerald spawn locations to the specified file below

One of the known issues to the level is lag, which is however hard to correct without butchering the whole level. In the zip file below are 4 different versions in attempts to fix things. (All of them have the coil issue fixed, as stated above.

(1) The map layout for bottomless pits is the same as before.

(2) The half-light gradient along the pit has been removed, and replaced with Sky.

(a) Without emerald spawn locations.

(b) With newly added emerald spawn locations.

[Note: You do not need to add all four wad files at once. You only need to add ONE wad to the game.]

"Map MAPG0"

Attachments

• Thundercoil.rar
    251.4 KB · Views: 486
  • Thundercoil.zip
    302.6 KB · Views: 492
  • srb20034.jpg
    srb20034.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 536
  • srb20035.jpg
    srb20035.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 624
  • srb20036.jpg
    srb20036.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 548
  • srb20037.jpg
    srb20037.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 436
  • srb20038.jpg
    srb20038.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 460
  • srb20039.jpg
    srb20039.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 393
Well, the issue of the lack of Flag Return is a major one, and I don't really like the "tower" gimmick when it comes to Knux. He barely makes it with the flag most of the time. They could be a bit lower. also, the cloil itself is just pointless and has nothing to do with the level. It's not even steel, it's just a rod jammed into stone that has a continuously falling beam. It has almost nothing to do with the rest of the level. It's like you had a level, and decided to stick a piece from another level in it forciby. All in all, it's just an OK level, and nothing more.

I like the level. It has its charms. I like how the stage keeps with the theme by using an electrically charged area in the center. But honestly, that coil is just too big. Players are most likely going to be flying into it every 5 seconds if they aren't careful! Altogether, this level gets a 8/10 for great graphics, item placement, and gimmicks to make the stage even more challenging.

This is one of the better Multiplayer maps I have downloaded. Opposite to what others may think, I really like the giant lightning rod in the center of the map. It's a very nice touch. My only qualm is that it doesn't seem like sonic can reach the top of the central tower unless you switch to him after you've reached the top. If this gets another release with a bit more added stuff, I would suggest putting a spring or fans or some other means to get him up there (maybe a teleporter or a zoom-tube, unless that makes it too laggy) I don't know much about map making but as far as my experience goes, you have one of the better maps on this forum. 7/10

My only qualm is that it doesn't seem like sonic can reach the top of the central tower unless you switch to him after you've reached the top. If this gets another release with a bit more added stuff, I would suggest putting a spring or fans or some other means to get him up there (maybe a teleporter or a zoom-tube, unless that makes it too laggy)
Eh, you can reach the top of the tower as Sonic, without switching skins. You just didn't look hard enough :P
(Hint: it involves diagonal springs and a waterfall)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back