Hi def DS "anounced"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like someone ignored me. ;p
You guys do know that the DSiXL isn't something "new" All it is is a DS with bigger screens. No hardware change and no layout change, just pixel stretching

Ooo, we put a big screen! So much effort!

But seriously, I don't think this means HD as in what you get from he 360. I think it means just much better graphics, high detail. IDK

The real problem is the battery lifetime, if they want to male an HD portable hardware they need (of course) changing the graphic card and stuffs that have a high electric consumption, and i doubt that anyone will buy a portable console and play only 2 hours before recharging it again(like the good old GameGear).

I'd just like to note, for those of you who are thinking a higher resolution DS might exist in the future that will make all your current games look pretty, don't expect much. None of your games are going to look any prettier, the DS would be unlikely to have the horsepower to upscale any content to a higher resolution, upscaling DVD players have dedicated hardware for that, and look at the size of them.

Also, screw new hardware technologies, they need to be focusing on what Microsoft has nailed already (and what Sony are preparing, so I hear) and that's user created games and applications, and a better online system. A DS Marketplace where people can publish their own games is what they need (Wii too). Don't give me WiiWare or DSWare or whatever crap that is, it's nowhere near as obtainable as XNA.

You're behind, Nintendo, stop making new hardware and focus on your ****** software, just because everyone loves your games, doesn't mean your backend is any good, and it isn't. The Homebrew Channel will never see a true fix because your system for the Wii is awful, and games will never see exploit fixes because you're the only console that doesn't have game updates available.

tl;dr: lrn2makeanOSthatworks.

I'd just like to note, for those of you who are thinking a higher resolution DS might exist in the future that will make all your current games look pretty, don't expect much. None of your games are going to look any prettier, the DS would be unlikely to have the horsepower to upscale any content to a higher resolution, upscaling DVD players have dedicated hardware for that, and look at the size of them.

Also, screw new hardware technologies, they need to be focusing on what Microsoft has nailed already (and what Sony are preparing, so I hear) and that's user created games and applications, and a better online system. A DS Marketplace where people can publish their own games is what they need (Wii too). Don't give me WiiWare or DSWare or whatever crap that is, it's nowhere near as obtainable as XNA.

You're behind, Nintendo, stop making new hardware and focus on your ****** software, just because everyone loves your games, doesn't mean your backend is any good, and it isn't. The Homebrew Channel will never see a true fix because your system for the Wii is awful, and games will never see exploit fixes because you're the only console that doesn't have game updates available.

tl;dr: lrn2makeanOSthatworks.

^
A rant at Nintendo no one from Nintendo will read.

Looks like this is a good read to elaborate on what Cue is saying.

I don't think we should turn this into "Nintendo made the Wii totally wrong, blah blah blah" :p

Of course we shouldn't. Now, back to the topic...

I don't think this "DSHD" is worth talking about until later on, when we have some solid evidence that something like that is being created. It's something I'd like to see nonetheless.

Nintendo is behind as far as online functions are concerned, but just because they're working on new hardware doesn't mean they're not concerned with new firmware as well. That's like saying the fact that they aren't working on a Mario game because they are busy making Wii Fit Plus (although, two to three years sounds like a good development cycle for a game of that caliber to me, and that's how long its been since SMG was released).

Also someone asked why they haven't mentioned Wii HD yet... well they have actually mentioned something about it but it was more of a "we are currently looking into it" than a "YAY NEW WII WITH HIDEF". If I remember correctly, IGN had some fun with that but I never saw that come here. I just looked at it and thought "who needs hi-def?". Wii's not the only one that falls prey to this sort of thing, I've seen articles on a PS4 and the like as well... all probably just grown out of some casual mention of researching new tech. When Nintendo's ready to advertise it, we won't need a blog to hear about it.

Lastly, Cue brings up a lot of valid complaints, but it would be a safe bet that complaints such as those are being totally drowned out by the call for better graphics. The industry recognizes violent games and high-tech graphics as a means to appealing to hardcore gamers. (personally I think its about playing what everyone else is playing and being SEEEERIOUS about it) Microsoft is doing a pretty good job of it, as much as I hate to compliment someone that treats the PC the way they do... but I think the industry as a whole needs better awareness of the indie scene.
From where I stand, the two most innovative companies are Nintendo and Valve. The former for branching out and appealing to more gamers, and the latter for branching out and appealing to more game makers. Nintendo makes creative games, and Valve makes games that take full advantage of extra features. Since some kind of crossbreed between the two is unlikely, I'm happy just to be a PC&Wii gamer for now.

Also, we need less repeated consoles. They need to bring out something new, the DS gimmick got old when touch screen phones became mainstream.

New gimmicks please, stop re-releasing the same console.

What you mean is that it is no longer a fad. There is still a huge amount of untapped potential in the DS's features, not including the DSi's added features.
Everybody complains when something's a fad and as such everyone rushes in with throwaway games to sell for that reason only. However, after the fad dies down, people start looking at the features seriously and asking themselves how use those gimmicks to make a good game instead of looking at how to us a game to provide good gimmicks....

Its not near as new or innovative as it was... but its not exactly exhausted either. I think I'd be fine with the DS (the one I have or rebrands) for a couple years at least with my budget. Once you move on to the next generation, support for the old-generation stuff dies down.

From a financial perspective, it is very bad business to move away from a console design entirely unless you are ready to move on completely and the old one was obsolete. Either way, if you make a new console design before you're done with the old one, you end up competing with yourself. The solution is either to no longer actively support the old console for a new and different design, but keep it out there... (eg. PS2) or make them the same enough that you can really market them both to justify the cost of having several different consoles in production at once (eg. DSi).

Of course, its all about what you want. If you want gimmicks, pack up and go elsewhere because they aren't being used as gimmicks anymore. (at least not with games worth paying attention to and which don't begin with the word Wario)

----------------
EDIT: Some suggestions for searching for new gimmicks. DSi, Balance Board, Project Natal, iPhone, eyetoy, Sony's motion wand. All of these are features that are still used as gimmicks if they are even at that stage already, but haven't been in practice enough to be familiar features. Also, the Vitality Sensor may be too quirky to go through a fad, but you can always hope for the best! (insert sarcastic tongue smiley here)

Last edited:
HD Graphics... On a portable system?

That's a surprise. But, why say something about an HD DS before a Wii HD? Either way, if this is anything important to hint out, this means that the consoles are about to be succeeded by yet another slur of consoles... Again.... like it has been since the creation of Pong.

What do you think the psp go is. It's a Hi-def Psp although you would be stupid to buy one when you can just save up an extra 50 to get the Ps3.

PSP Go isn't an HD PSP.

PSP Go is just the PSP but focuses much more on digital distribution. It failed terribly and Sony knows this. So they are probably NOT going to add some good support and instead use some of PSP GO's features in PSP 2.

WHOA WHOA WHOA Autosaver!! Let's not get ahead of ourselves about a PSP 2 ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back