SRB2 Message Board  

Go Back   SRB2 Message Board > Sonic Robo Blast 2 > SRB2 Discussion

Old 10-27-2017   #5861
choalover
チャオノコイビト
Default SRB2 OS Lua Support

I think SRB2 should have support for OS functions, because it would be useful to allow players to make a LUA script that shows what time it is on the game hud, and if players could make a whitelisting system based on IP addresses for their server.

Last edited by choalover; 10-27-2017 at 05:37 AM.
choalover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017   #5862
Wolfy
wolfs
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by choalover View Post
I think SRB2 should have support for OS functions, because it would be useful to allow players to make a LUA script that shows what time it is on the game hud, and if players could make a whitelisting system based on IP addresses for their server.
Not happening. JTE already explained why this would be a terrible idea.
[23:56:36] <SM-MaxX> prisma illya is a gift to this impure earth and a shining beacon for all anime
Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017   #5863
frozenLake

For which half: OS Information, like Time, or the whitelisting?

Anyway, I have a suggestion that kinda pushes in the direction of the former: the ability for lua scripts to connect to webpages for information, which could be useful for syncing player data between a group of servers, like how Zandronum has their setup, as well as being able to pull other "live data" from the server, such as time.
frozenLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017   #5864
toaster
トースタちゃん
Developer

OS information.

Also:
  • Make a terminal-like Lua script that does interesting/useful things.
  • Make that script use hooks to load an adf dot ly link as frequently as possible without arousing suspicion.
  • Host on the master server along with a bunch of other cool .WADs.
  • ???
  • Literally profit.

So no.
<MonsterIestyn> watch porm to keep warm
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017   #5865
frozenLake

Really? Huh. I would think that whoever hosted with that script would be banned quickly, with the script in question also banned from the Master Server using the MD5 of the file which is already accessable in order to keep it from spreading further.

But I guess that might just be me trying to make an attempt to change your mind for a feature that might not have a huge amount of uses for the average host to begin with.
frozenLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017   #5866
Mystic
チェン!
Administrator

By then the damage would be done. The reason those functions are disabled is because you can do damaging things with them. We don't want SRB2's Lua functionality to be an exploit vector.
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017   #5867
Potatosack
funyn menme

wait, so you mean we're never gonna be able to just

ask for the system's time
Old 10-29-2017   #5868
Zwip-Zwap Zapony
Please just call me Zappy.

I'd like to suggest separate console variables for camera distance/height for being in analog mode and being in "strafe" mode, such that the game doesn't have to change the variable itself when switching to/from analog mode (and as a result also first-/third-person mode due to that modifying whether one is in analog mode, which currently modifies the camera distance/height regardless of what it was set to before).
Zwip-Zwap Zapony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017   #5869
jameds
James

Being able to glob filenames in console would be nice.
jameds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017   #5870
choalover
チャオノコイビト

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameds View Post
Being able to glob filenames in console would be nice.
I'm pretty sure you can really already do this Lua, but correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 10-31-2017   #5871
Yoshirocks90
Eh, maybe later.

Sorry if this is the wrong place, but if it's possible, can there be a way request an e-mail notification for PM Read Receipts?
Yoshirocks90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017   #5872
choalover
チャオノコイビト
Default Lua Base Update Suggestion

This isn't a major problem for SRB2 right now, but maybe in 2.3 or later I think it would be a good idea to update SRB2's Lua base version from 5.1 to whatever is the latest version at that particular time, because Lua 5.3 added support for 32-bit integers, and there is a huge increase in the amount of numbers that you can use from 16-bit to 32-bit, which would be really good for Lua scripters.
Old 11-01-2017   #5873
Monster Iestyn
Friendly Neighbour-Hood

...but we already support 32-bit numbers? Mind you, it's only signed 32-bit numbers we support atm.

That's an uppercase i, not a lowercase L, for the record.
Monster Iestyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017   #5874
choalover
チャオノコイビト

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Iestyn View Post
...but we already support 32-bit numbers? Mind you, it's only signed 32-bit numbers we support atm.
Apparently, I never really used 32-bit numbers in SRB2's Lua, which is probably why I didn't knew that, and thanks by the way!

Last edited by choalover; 11-01-2017 at 11:09 PM.
choalover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017   #5875
742mph
I make Sonic look like me

Quote:
Originally Posted by choalover View Post
Apparently, I never really used 32-bit numbers in SRB2's Lua, which is probably why I didn't knew that.
FRACUNIT is 2^16, so if you've used it, you've used numbers that require more than 16 bits to store.
Old 11-01-2017   #5876
MK.exe
Lazy, Lazy and lazy?

A linedef to allow entry past a linedef 1 way.

I would imagine it to be used mainly for challenge maps where the creator of the map desires you to keep on moving forward. Also i guess it would be good for MP so you dont have people who decide to back track.

I understand this can ruin exploration maps but its up to the map creator to include the Linedef effect into their map.
MK.exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017   #5877
"Lat'"
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lach View Post
Would it be possible to implement a Lua hook that adds a thinker to each player by running only for certain skin names? Something like:
Code:
addHook("PlayerAbility", function(player)
    //Body code
end, "sonic")
This would make Lua abilities more efficient, as the game won't have to iterate through every player and check for the skin unnecessarily for every single player-oriented ThinkFrame and MobjThinker hook—it'd only have to iterate once and run the abilities per player based on his/her skin.
I know I'm goddamn decades late, but I would really like to second this, as well as adding that it would be awesome if there was also a way to disable said player thinker with a variable or something like that, mainly for mods that modify controls for specific stuff (See SUBARASHII's extra boss, etc).
It would honestly allow for much more compability between multiple mods, without forcefully having to support x character's abilities or whatever.
"Lat'" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017   #5878
Steel Titanium

I think an option to change the folder where files downloaded from the server are saved into would be nice.
Steel Titanium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5879
Ice
Pretty chill guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Titanium View Post
I think an option to change the folder where files downloaded from the server are saved into would be nice.
I agree with this.

Also, can we make the air bubble object(s) a lot bigger and easier to see? And increase the spawn rate of the big bubbles? I'm thinking a bubble about the size of sonic or bigger, maybe shield-sized and just as visible .

I only now realized that part of the reason why I hate underwater levels is having to strain my eyes looking for that puny near-invisible cluster of bubbles and breaking any semblance of flow waiting there for the next big bubble to come and hope to God my hitbox doesn't whiff it when it invariably comes on my last few seconds of air.

Yeah, it'll make underwater levels easier, but the difficulty that comes from these stupid bubbles is the frustrating unfun kind!

Last edited by Ice; 4 Weeks Ago at 03:53 PM.
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #5880
RomioTheBadass
PK3 Fetishist

I agree about the Bubbles spawner, torturing players isn't how you give them fun experience.
RomioTheBadass is offline   Reply With Quote