SRB2 bosses opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lat'

Absolute territory where
Kart Krew™️
So, just post here what you do think of the vanilla SRB2 bosses.
Here are my reviews tough...

Egg Mobile
Yes, best boss ever!
The only thing I didn't like is how he rapes the player with rockets, it also spawn a small fire trail that disapear shortly after being spawned, hopefully...
The pinch attack was way better since the boss has a second protection but maybe a bit too much for a first boss.

Egg Slimer
Oh that boss.
So, to avoid being killed too fast, you guys added a glass.
(Think about spinning on the ledges of the platform :P)
Since it was basically not changed, It is still as good as it was in 1.09.x~2.0.x

Sea Egg
Oh my lord, that boss...
The normal phase wasn't changed but the pinch phase is horrible!
I mean, you are rapped by 2 tons of missiles that comes to **** you.
Also I had lots of troubles to see which Eggman was the good one the first time...

Eggscalibur (or I-do-not-move.avi)
That boss was mostly good, I have to say, maybe a bit boring because you have to wait until you can attack him.
The pinch phase was... ... It is dumb, once you passed the spikeballs to get at the top of the arena, it let you bounce to the same place...

Metal Sonic (Or obvious troll)
The race was okay (even if there are tons of lazors) but the fight...
Firstly, he is INVINCIBLE while charging an attack, you can't stop him for doing it, secondly, the pinch attack is an obvious troll, he is aiming you for over 20 seconds!

Metal Eggman (I do not know its exact name :/)
Actually it is good, very good.
My only trouble was the big red target, I had no idea how to dodge it,
In pinch phase, the missiles are insta-kill, I mean they make you fly out of the arena, where you can see how beautiful the floating over nothing lava pipes are.

What are your opinions, guys?

Screw the Sea Egg and Metal Sonic pinch phases, especially how in the latter you can only hit him once between attacks. Also, the Eggscalibur fight drags on for a little bit too long, since again, you can only hit him once per vulnerability period. Other than that, though, I was generally satisified with 2.1's bosses.

While I liked how dramatic and grand the Brak Eggman fight was in 2.0, it was definitely hard to figure out how to damage it. The 2.1 version is honestly better in terms of gameplay, especially when Brak enters pinch mode and the walls crumble down. The entire battle tenses up from that point on, as getting hit by a single missile or whatever that Arch-Vile attack is could easily send you into the abyss below and it always keeps the player on their toes.

Opinion time!
Possible wall of text so it's in a spoiler tag.

Egg Mobile

This boss was improved so much in 2.1! The only thing I don't like is that his lasers last a tad bit too long for my liking, and it's hard to hit him in the pinch phase without getting knocked around by his spike balls of death.

Egg Slimer

The boss is still lame. I don't even care for it. You can still defeat it by standing in one spot and just jumping when he comes over you. No effort required.

Sea Egg

The first part of the battle is egg-celently done. I have no problems with that. The second phase however is a complete convoluted nightmare. There are three clones shooting missles at you, SIX total, and they disappear within seconds and zap you almost immediately once you fall in the water. It becomes more annoying when your teammate falls into the water, and they disappear to go hit the switch. And it is way too hard to single out and hit one of the Eggman clones so quickly.

Eggscallibur

This is a well-made fight, however I suggest making an invisible barrier over the stands so characters like Tails and Knuckles cannot get there until the pinch phase.

Metal Sonic

He's okay. I had some troubles with the race, but then I found the shortcuts and I beat him easily. The fight is alright, but the pinch phase is way too quick. He usually floats away too fast so you can't hit him before he attacks again. And that pinch attack is overkill.

Brak Eggman

This boss was fun. I really like the mechanic of crippling him first before you can attack. I just think the knockback of some of the attacks could be reduced. One wrong move during the pinch phase and you get flung off the map.

I myself found a new boss in the game, and here is my review for it.

Azure Temple's Green Emblem, yes this is cleary a boss.
So, you have a level that you basically CAN'T finish without getting hurt and what is the point of this emblem...? Find and keep until the end of the level a Nuclear Shield.
Isn't this insane?

The best way to get ATZs Green Emblem is to use Knuckles, because his route has Trapgoyles that are easily avoidable, followed by a gliding challenge with Aqua Buzzes. After that, you should go the puzzle route (being careful not to get hit by the Trapgoyles' flames), and then you are at the end with the Nuclear room.

It's not perfect, but it's by far the safest way.

I already tried with Knuckles but for some reasons, the Gargoyles are hungry of blood, and they hit me everytime I try :/

Egg mobile:

This is a really good boss for being the firts one actually. I don't find it that hard but then I forget that "new players" exist. Although, I find this boss more fitting for Red volcano zone since he has a flamethrower attack and the spiky ball phase, things that are present in RVZ (flamethrowers and the enemies).

Egg slimer:

It's... okay. Fits THZ perfectly but the stage where you fight him is not. What I meant to say is that I expected some kind of weird underground chase. Something similar with the train section from Gamma's level, Hot shelter. Can't find a picture of it...

Sea Egg:

This boss is good. My only complain is that I always get hurt by those missiles when I hit him and I'm pushed in the opposite direction. Missiles should explode when you hit him, specially in the pinch phase.

Eggscalibur: dat name...

He's not that hard as other people say, but he is, indeed, boring, very boring.

Metal Sonic:

The race is pretty good, though, get rid of that wall with spikes because I'll basically wait until Metal Sonic breaks it. And lower the platforms a little bit in the gravity part. The fight itself is a bit awkward, I still don't know what I have to do when he's bouncing all over the place.

Brak Eggman:

Perfect for a final boss, I don't find any problems with him.

Egg Mobile
The old arena design was stupid as hell, so it's good that you revamped it to look more natural. The boss also at least does something now, but I think it could use a slight nerf to make it easier on newbies. Hard to say since I haven't fought the boss as a new player, but I think the laser should not be able to change direction while it's firing, and that the delay between spikeball dashes should be a little higher.

Egg Slimer
The pinch phase is a little better, but it's kinda unclear that the spring underneath is harmful to spinning players. The normal phase is still boring, I don't like how the boss completely ignores the player.

Sea Egg
The clones should be easier to identify, and the water needs an actual fair hazard instead of an unavoidable zap attack. The arena at least looks decent now, especially compared to the rest of DSZ.

Eggscalibur
I hate waiting room bosses. The player should be involved in making the boss vulnerable instead of just waiting around for him to expose himself for no reason. His attack telegraphs are too hard to see because of the cage getting in the way, make it glass or something. The pinch phase is too vague, I'd replace the first chain with a diagonal spring that sends you to the second chain.

Metal Sonic
The reverse gravity room with the raising/lowering platforms needs to be nerfed. The first room also trips me up a lot but I'm pretty sure that's because of the conveyor bug. As for the battle, the way of damaging him is really awkward. The pinch attack also takes way too long.

Brak
The arena is pretty awkward and ugly, but you're probably not keeping this boss here anyway.

Last edited:
One way the developers could make the Egg Slimer more fun and customizable is make it use waypoints or axis transfers. Then you could make it go in a more complex path than a fucking circle.

One way the developers could make the Egg Slimer more fun and customizable is make it use waypoints or axis transfers. Then you could make it go in a more complex path than a fucking circle.

Good point you got there, let's try to make this boss in Egg Satelite X)

You do realize that the major difference between the clones and Eggman is that the clones pop up at a different speed, right? When the real Sea Egg comes up, that's the time when all the missiles fire. I don't even have to look into the cockpit and it's really rare that I hit the clones instead of the main body.

You do realize that the major difference between the clones and Eggman is that the clones pop up at a different speed, right? When the real Sea Egg comes up, that's the time when all the missiles fire. I don't even have to look into the cockpit and it's really rare that I hit the clones instead of the main body.

...*mind blown*

Edit: Oh, goddammit, you got my hopes up. This doesn't work at all, because most of the time they rise simultaneously. All this lets you know is whether the center Eggman is the real one or not.

Last edited:
The clones move at the same speed as the real Eggman. The center is less distance to travel, so if one of them chooses the center pipe it will pop up before the others. If none of them pick the center they'll all appear at the same time.

By the way, if the real Eggman picks the center and you whack him before his clones show up, he'll spawn extra clones. Probably a bug.

Last edited:
OR, you could use Jeck Jim's old Sea Egg Md2 and completely cheat the fight with knowing who is who.

If you look at the eyes for the ones that are fake, they don't have the orange-ish outline.

Egg Mobile [size=-2]now portable![/size]
Eh, there is a better level design, however, i like this boss update.
Istead of firing alone blasts, now he fires LASERS!

Egg Slimer [size=-2]yuck![/size]
For me, it is the MOST ANNOYING BOSS EVER!
He fires slime and we have to hit him and dodge slime at the same time.

Sea Eggman [size=-2]Eggman+fishies[/size]
Well, and i though this was also annoying, but it isn't.
Although, the second phase is the most annoying part but with skills, you can do it.

Eggscalibur [size=-2]King Arthur is back![/size]
Well, well, well! Now THIS impressed me! What an amazing boss!
Blades everywhere! Gotta be carefull! Second phase annoying...

Metal Sonic [size=-2]Metal wants to race![/size]
Ah... One of my favourite characters is here at last!
Sonic CD now in this + a fight! Cool Boss!

Metal Robotnick/Brak Eggman [size=-2]Disappointed...[/size]
I'm kinda disappointed with this one... it was very strong...
Anyway, besides of being the hardest boss, it is also ANNOYING IN VERY MANY WAYS!
LAVA, LIGHTINGS, BOMBS, FLAMETROWERS, THIS FREAKED ME UP!

(Sorry on the last boss review...)

---------- Post added at 10:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 PM ----------

You have to concentrate to hit the real Eggman. He's the one moving his moustache but the clones will be way too diferent from the real Eggman.

Just concentrate and get him!

Ok, Here's my review:

EGGMOBILE 2.1
For a first boss, I'll be contrary to everyone and say that the difficulty in the boss is a GOOD thing, especially with the new pinch mode, the Spike Dash. A pinch move shows that Eggman has had his shit for the first 5 hits in his battle, and really can introduce newer players that Eggman doesn't play.

EGG SLIMER 2.1
Okay, the only major difference is the arena, now more cheat proof! The boss is really the same, except the fact that the boss enters his pinch mode after 5 hits instead of 6, and bounces back when hit during his pinch phase. (I also like the attention to detail that Eggman simply turns the vehicle around instead of snapping around in the other direction in 2.0.

SEA EGG 2.1
this boss... This Boss... THIS BOSS... Is a challenge. Compared to 2.0, the first phase is a little more forgiving with the electrical water now being a simple flash instead of staying on as long as someone is in the water. The Second phase completely destroys that forgiveness as an all new problem: Clones! These fuckers get in your way a little too much and cause the fight to last longer. Two tips: Check out Jeck Jims' old MD2s and use the Sea Egg MD2 he made in the past, it's really useful to tell between the clones since they don't actually have a MD2 yet... OR, to tell between the Real Eggman and the fakes is 1: Their eyes, 2: Their Skin, and 3: Their movement (Eggman moves his mustache so it's easier to tell between them, also the clones move at a slower speed when coming up from the tubes with the Real Eggman and he tends to fire first before the real clones.) The boss fight is a little more and less forgiving than the 2.0 version.

EGGSCALIBUR
*sniff sniff* I smell new content! ... Oh wait... I forgot, Eggscalibur at first wasn't a working boss back in 2.0. Well for 2.1 He's finally not useless! ...and OH MY GOD HE'S SO DAMN BORING! Okay, so for the first portion, rotating spikes. Yay? Anyways they rotate when ever he presses a button in a one of two directions and after a while, he will accidentally open his protective cage?, leaving you to quickly hit him. Honestly, the fight might be simple at first, but if you position yourself correctly between the spike balls, you can actually stand still and play jump rope until he makes his opening. (Warning! Results may vary.) The Second phase is actually a little entertaining, and it shows that you learned to use Eggman's weapon against him: the chains! The only problem is that if you don't mess up and fall back down on the ground, the fight is simply easy once you can control yourself in the air, and with sonic or a homing thok character, you can actually get 2 hits!

METAL SONIC
I feel like this game was inspired by Sonic the Movie. Anyways, you're basically racing a sonic ghost that doesn't use the thok at all. (And that ghost recorder is a damn good platformer.) The race is NOT easy, your ass will be handed to you by a certain bottomless pit. (Oh yeah, I'm talking about YOU Gravity Room!) Biggest tip for that area, GO INTO FIRST PERSON VIEW. The View won't screw up your jumps that much. Other than that, be warned that you'll be on the time limit, and that if you're behind him during the countdown, you need to really speed up with a spindash, otherwise, YOU'RE SCREWED! Other than that, let's get on with the fight. I feel like I grew up with this fight, the amount of changes to make it harder were really rapid. Anyways, the fight is quite awkward, you have to threaten Metal Sonic with a jump so he can warp away to a different spot so you can hit him (I didn't know Sonic 4 happened before all this), but trying to threaten him is hard all on it's own, because of the purely electrical arena, you might jump into the electrical fence. The charge up attack is easy to dodge with circle strafing, if you're good at it. And Finally, the pinch attack. (Was anyone else afraid of losing the speed record from this?) This portion of the fight takes FOREVER, Metal Sonic hits the wall 3 times in random and on the fourth charge, he comes for you! So you need to telegraph his movements, in case the game doesn't do it enough for you.

BRAK EGGMAN 2.1
This final boss, is the most entertaining final boss in SRB2 history. (Also, isn't this from Sonic the Movie? Where he also had wings?) For starters the entire body is enveloped in electric, SO DON'T TOUCH HIM! However, there are lava showers all over the arena, and you need to direct him into it so you can take away his electrical barrier. Kinda hard to do, but once you do, IT'S OPEN SEASON ON YOU EGGFUCKER. Let's discuss the 4 attacks Brak has. Attack 1: Flamethrower| Easier done than said. Attack 2: Super Rocket| This attack can easily kill any homing attacker because of the recovery from the homing attack, which is a bad idea honestly, so don't do it! Attack 3: Super-Bomb| Brak just sends out a bomb and the explosion spreads very fucking far. I mean VERY fucking far. 1/6 of the arena can be covered in fire, so watch out! Attack 4: Homing Explosion| This attack is basically unavoidable, unless you hide behind one of the barriers that rise up when he's doing that attack, thankfully for the recent update, it'll show you that he's aiming at you with an aiming sight and an aiming reticule. These attacks are very dangerous and can get you killed without even knowing it. and for the pinch phase, he destroys the wall that can save you from the super rockets and constantly uses all of his attacks, he also walks very fast. Eggman, has had, his shit, for the final time. And a simple rinse and repeat of the lava shower will help you end that fight in no time.

The boss fights honestly make 2.1 an actual challenge. Fun Fact: when you play as Tails in the Metal Sonic Fight, flying will cause Metal to levitate up to your level, leaving you easily exposed, so don't fly! I really like the fights and I hope Eggman will conjure up some Sand and Lava related contraption for Arid Canyon Zone and Red Volcano Zone (From Sonic Blast on the Game Gear?)

Last edited:
I suppose there isn't any harm in saying my opinion as well...

Egg Mobile:
Well,the boss' upgrades from 2.0 make the fight much more interesting,but I feel that the pinch phase is a bit TOO difficult. It is REALLY hard to hit him without getting hit yourself. I would suggest maybe making the spikeballs spawn a little bit farther up or down.

Egg Slimer:
Well, the wall spinning trick was removed, and you can't end up flinging yourself off the edges anymore... But adding in the glass walls has the effect of making it so that when eggman goes to fly away, he has to fly THROUGH the glass. Either way, the pinch phase has been made a little less pathetic now... I still feel his pinch phase is easier than the main fight though...

Sea Egg:
The one main annoying thing about this boss is that now it is basically impossible to get out of the water without getting zapped. I guessed that was changed to make falling in the water more of a punishment, but it still feels kinda cheap,especially if you bounce off of eggman the wrong way... I dont have too much of a problem with the pinch phase. So long as you pay attention, you can figure out who's the real eggman.

Eggscalibur:
Hey look, this thing actually works now! I like the fight, because even if it does take a while, you're still always moving, so its not like there isn't anything going on... However, with the pinch phase, it really feels like getting hit is just up to chance. Not to mention that its kinda hard to understand what to do at first. I first thought you had to launch directly up and hit eggman on the bottom of his machine.

Metal Sonic:
This is a really cool battle, consisting of 2 parts. The race, and the actual battle itself. The race itself is nearly perfect, even if it will kick your butt to the moon when you first try it. The music for the race, though... I feel its just a little too slow paced for a RACE. The battle itself is pretty good. I feel that the process of hitting him makes sense. The player will naturally go to hit metal sonic, and I saw that way he dodges, it makes it look like he's spinning out. So it makes sense that he would be vulnerable. His pinch attack where he bounces around the arena isnt so bad either. I never thought that it took that long, anyway.. My only complaint is that its REALLY easy for metal to float behind you when he's actually vulnerable. Its kinda hard to hit a target you cant see,after all.

The Cy-Brak-Demon (Or How I stole the final boss of Doom):
This boss is REALLY fun. All of his attacks have a decent amount of leadup to them, and despite the process of lowering his electric barrier being slow, I still like it. One thing I think should be changed though, is the fact that he still puts up his barrier during the pinch phase. I think he shouldn't be able to do that, but he should therefore be more aggressive with his attacks. I just feel that having to lower his shield kinda destroys the pacing of the pinch phase, even if it does get pretty tense having to get so close to the edge...

...Whew,that was a LOT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back