• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Mod--Eggman Robo Blast 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

742mph

My work is never done yet
I got this idea from the playable Eggman WAD. I thought, "If someone else can make the antagonist the main playable character, then why can't I make the protagonists the main villians?"

So that's what I did. This WAD changes the graphics, sprites, abilities, and a few other things in order to reverse Team Sonic and Robotnik's roles. This time, Sonic and co. are becoming greedy and decide to conquer the world. They invade the Egg Rock and kick Eggman out, then use his factories to start building (significantly different than Eggman's) robots of their own. Eggman decides to stop them before they conquer Mobius. It's his planet, and he wants to conquer it, not leave it at the mercy of those furries!

So far, I've only made a few modifications:

-I've made Eggman playable and gave him abilities similar to Sonic so the difficulty is mostly unchanged.

-I've used some texture changes and minor level edits to transform Greenflower Zone into a sprawling metropolis.

-I've used similar edits to make Techno Hill 1 less hill-y and more techno-y.

-I've created and added five new enemies in place of some of the old ones:

--Green Spherical Robot: Slowly rolls toward you. Can be killed in one hit.

--Red Spherical Robot: Quickly rolls toward you. Can be killed in one hit.

--Giant Spherical Robot: Flies, shoots bullets. Takes several hits to kill.

--Two-Tailed Fox: Flies slowly toward you. Again, one hit kill.

--Echidna: Glides at you quickly. One hit kill.

Screenshots:
Moderator Notice:
Screenshots removed because they're all links to what is quite possibly the worst Wiki on the internet.

Also, I'm accepting submissions for enemy sprites. That means if you direct me to a WAD of yours that you'd like me to turn into an enemy, I'll use it if I can, give you credit, and give your creation a featured role in taking down the once-mighty Eggman! And you barely have to do anything!

So there's my work-in-progress. I hope you like it and are willing to submit badnik sprites.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like you've just retextured EVERYTHING!

Honestly, apart form these so called 'original' enemies, you don't seem to have done any ACTUAL work on this.

(significantly different than Eggman's)

Aside from the textures, they are completely the same.

Hopefully you'll do more than just use the in-game textures to make everything reverse.

May I remind you that this is a work in progress. When the WAD is finished, it'll be significantly different from the actual game. On the other hand, you'll probably hate on it no matter what I do... -_-

I see you're from the Sonic Fanon Wiki. Any hope that this wad could have had dropped 2000%. Hooray for knowing how to use the find & replace tool in Doom Builder! Yippie for replacing sprites with XWE! Yahoo for doing NOTHING WORTHWILE WHATSOEVER! All you did is replace things, while adding nothing interesting. The reason we even LIKED Eggman.wad was because of how different he played from everyone else. But if he's just Sonic and everything else is just a spriteswap, then what the hell is the point? Just to make everything look worse?

Well the main problem is that what you have so far is just extremely ugly. Greenflower Zone has a natural theme, which just doesn't work with technological textures. If you want this to look in any way good you'd need to do something along the lines of the mixed textures in Techno Hill with the pipes sticking out of the rock, and even then that probably wouldn't look great (as it doesn't look particularly good in THZ1, to be blunt). Your idea (play as Eggman in a destroyed bad future) isn't bad but the execution here is just atrocious. Anyone can use find and replace to change how something looks.

I see you're from the Sonic Fanon Wiki. Any hope that this wad could have had dropped 2000%. Hooray for knowing how to use the find & replace tool in Doom Builder! Yippie for replacing sprites with XWE! Yahoo for doing NOTHING WORTHWILE WHATSOEVER! All you did is replace things, while adding nothing interesting. The reason we even LIKED Eggman.wad was because of how different he played from everyone else. But if he's just Sonic and everything else is just a spriteswap, then what the hell is the point? Just to make everything look worse?

I expected a few people to be unhappy about this WAD, but this is insane. If you're going to hate on it, at least make your criticism constructive. Also, the main site that I use for discussing Sonic is Sonic Blast. I merely use the Fanon Wiki to upload my images. Also, I'm rather new to this, and I'm not using Doom Builder (it doesn't work on my computer), which means there's no Find and Replace tool, so go easy, okay?

then what the hell is the point?

The point is to create a modification to SRB2 that makes it more interesting to play for people who have a lot of experience with it, but not to modify it to the point of unrecognizability. If I do too much more than a spriteswap, then it'll be unrecognizable, and it'll become a failed level pack, which I don't want it to be. Remember, the point of a mod is to change large parts of the game, not the whole thing.

The point is to create a modification to SRB2 that makes it more interesting to play for people who have a lot of experience with it, but not to modify it to the point of unrecognizability. If I do too much more than a spriteswap, then it'll be unrecognizable, and it'll become a failed level pack, which I don't want it to be. Remember, the point of a mod is to change large parts of the game, not the whole thing.
Spriteswap =/= changing large parts of the game

I expected a few people to be unhappy about this WAD, but this is insane. If you're going to hate on it, at least make your criticism constructive.

I'd just like to point out to you, this wasn't a bunch of idiots giving you advice here. This is Mystic, Spiritcrusher, and D00D64, who usually happen to know what they're talking about. They've been working with SRB2 much longer than you likely have, and they know what works and what doesn't. So I wouldn't blow off everything they say. :J

All I have to say criticism wise is that the fact that the butt of Robotnik's Eggmobile is taking up half the screen, which would make it hard to see where you're even going.

Hmm good. Indeed, the big Eggman who hide is bad. But it will redo all the sprites in this case ...
This is an original idea, but be careful. Remember that there, you play from another angle, that of Eggman.
Also, mixing two themes as Greenflower and Egg Rock ... I want to get to the point where mixing two themes is very complicated. Even if we play as Eggman, levels should not be 70% ERZ 30% GFZ, 70% ERZ 30% DSZ, etc..

However, I appreciate the creation of enemies like Knuckles / Tails ==> "role reversal". Maybe Tails will be better in its original orange color?

Yes, let me try to make a well thought out and lengthy review on swapping sprites. This wad doesn't need well-thought critique to point out how awful it is. It looks like shit and requires almost no effort to do. No SOCcing, no mapping, no ANYTHING. Just changing sprites around and making things look far uglier. In truth, you arn't doing a damn thing. At least nothing worthwhile or pleasant to look at.

Maybe soc the bosses into Sonic and friends?
looks like no gameplay has been changed, so I would work on that sort of thing.

Wait ... you retake levels SRB2 and you just changed the textures ? I had not noticed Greenflower act 1 on the first image.

So in this case no, I don't like. Regain a level of existing SRB2 is forbidden. In addition, the level stays the same. Your project must have their own levels, otherwise it has no interest.

I get the idea, and by the time this WAD is released, which has a lower chance of happening than ever, it'll have more than just texture changes.

And thanks, IE, for being the only one here who's actually giving out constructive criticism. I'll take your suggestions into account.

There have been several examples of constructive criticism in this thread. Some of them have been blunt, but pretty much everyone here has said exactly why they feel the way they do about your mod.
Only give constructive criticism. If you are sharing your opinion on something, give reasoning as to why.
Even if the opinion is "I hate this WAD", it's still constructive so long as they explain why they hate the WAD.

I guess the standards of constructive criticism on this board are different than what I've experienced before, then.

Hey, I didn't say certain posts WEREN'T a bit rude, but they still made completely valid points regarding why they disliked the concept. Just because somebody is tactless doesn't necessarily make them wrong.

*cough*

Maybe soc the bosses into Sonic and friends?
looks like no gameplay has been changed, so I would work on that sort of thing.

Also: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/constructive+criticism

No-where there does it say it has to sugercoat everything. If you WAD is bad, how would saying its good help at all?

BTW maybe take some more screenshots, but first put chasecam off so we can see anything besides Eggman's fat ass.

Also maybe show some of the enemies other than tails?

Lastly: seriously, when Mystic offers advice, you should at least consider it =/

No no, we will stop please, we aren't at school ...

742mph, this is not aggressive, but I would like to inform you that some criticism over my post may help you. I refer specifically to the message of Mystic.

But please, no "constructive criticism"or I do not know what ...

Uh, sorry, but I have no idea what that meant ^^"

Why are you saying "no" to constructive crit.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back