Assistence with finding sound drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chibs

Just Someone
After several days of searching, downloading and viewing "Driver installation failled" screens, I've decided to come to the board with my problems.

What's happening is that my laptop came back from the shop about a month ago. I had Vista on it for about 30 minutes, then I set up dual-booting on my laptop between Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty and Vista.

Recently, I got fed up with the incompatibility of a lot of programs I use, while Flash 8 worked flawlessly, SRB2 was netgame incompatible, SRB2DB was buggy and some of the games I wanted to play just wouldn't run. So I decided it was time to install XP over Vista.

Now, here's the part that has had me frustrated for the last few days. I've managed to successfully install the graphics driver and the wireless card driver, but so far I have been unsuccessful in installing the driver for my sound card, an annoyance because one of the reasons I went back to Windows was for movie editing, due to the lack of good movie editing on Ubuntu.

No sound card pops up in Device Manager, I've downloaded countless drivers from HP and related sites, I've even did another fresh install of XP to start over (and managed wiping out my Ubuntu partition in the process), and none of those have worked. What makes this whole affair even more difficult is the fact that I'm running a laptop, which doesn't use generic drivers.

I'm running an HP Pavilion dv2419us on Windows XP Home Edition SP3. I know that I need a driver for Conexant HD Audio, but I'm not sure what sound card I'm actually running on is.

I would REALLY appreciate help.

EDIT: If it makes it any easier, I'm having this guy's problem.

Gemini Spark said:
Get a driver's license. *shot to oblivion*

Honestly, that's what I thought the topic was about...I figured I could lend lots of advice considering I have a license :D

Well, that's nice and all, but I would really appreciate if I could get some real help, please.

You could probably identify the sound chipset by booting up some live Linux distro that'll detect anything. Knoppix is a good one. Burn a CD or use a USB storage device to boot from with one and check the kernel load log or any 'hardware information' program. Once that step's done, you know what to look for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back