• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Source code to mods?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiteRose

I hope this isn't considered trolling or whatever, but I see a few mods around this forum that look great but are in violation of the license that the doom-legacy code is under. SRB2 itself is NOT in violation at all, however.

The official Doom Legacy site at http://legacy.newdoom.com/downloads.php#source indicates that the code is under the GNU General Public License version 2.0. Section 3 states this:
3. You may copy and distribute the Program (or a work based on it, under Section 2) in object code or executable form under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above provided that you also do one of the following:

a) Accompany it with the complete corresponding machine-readable
source code, which must be distributed under the terms of Sections
1 and 2 above on a medium customarily used for software interchange; or,

b) Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three
years, to give any third party, for a charge no more than your
cost of physically performing source distribution, a complete
machine-readable copy of the corresponding source code, to be
distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a medium
customarily used for software interchange; or,

c) Accompany it with the information you received as to the offer
to distribute corresponding source code. (This alternative is
allowed only for noncommercial distribution and only if you
received the program in object code or executable form with such
an offer, in accord with Subsection b above.)
The original version of SRB2 fulfills this by including the source code with the download.

Option A is easily fulfilled by simply including the source with the download, just like the official SRB2 package does.

The reason I'm asking for this is because a Windows exe file does NOT fulfill this part of the license. Also, not everyone uses Windows, and some of your modifications are likely to work on my Linux machines if I just compile the source. I really don't mean to cause a controversy, but is it really that hard to include the source with your mods? I'd really appreciate that. And if not for me, know that it's technically illegal to distribute it without the source code.

I don't mean to offend anyone personally. Practically everything I use on my own computer is under this license, and I just wanted to point this out to avoid legal issues (not that there would be any, but it doesn't hurt to cover yourselves by simply including the source).

And again, I do like the ability to run the official SRB2 on my Linux computer natively. ^^ Keep up the great work, people! The wads I've tried (and I've tried a lot of them already) are outstanding and loads of fun!

And anyone who wants a Linux tester--I'm very willing to help out. I can tell you if your mod is Linux-compatible if I can see the source to compile it on my computer. ^^ I like stress-testing games.

EDIT: Changed the title to be less accusatory, since that was never my intent.

And I still am offering to help--if anyone wants me to play around with this on Linux, just get in touch with me.

There's nothing wrong with this; at least not in the way Shu criticizes this. I personally would find this useful if I had a doubt.

Uhuh

You wanna upload a source code to an already slow server every single time you make a beta update? I sure as hell don't.

Wait, now I see through all your unessisarily big words. You want the source code so you can run it on Linux or what ever. Still, I don't think it's "illegal" not to, though.

Shu said:
Wait, now I see through all your unessisarily big words. You want the source code so you can run it on Linux or what ever. Still, I don't think it's "illegal" not to, though.
Don't make claims about the legality of it without educating yourself. http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

And for the human-readable version: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html

-------------------------

As for the rest of you, I can understand the slow server problems. I didn't mean you guys were a bunch of source-stealing pirates. That wasn't the point of this thread. I really, really didn't mean to offend anyone.

I could help provide a Linux binary, though, if you guys want to get in touch with me. I would be willing try to compile it if you guys want to. Since the demand for the code is so small, too, I could set up some free web space (I don't use my GeoCities site anymore and can put some source code there, for example.) You can send me the source and I can upload it if you like, and give you the link. I'm happy to help in any way I can. Just get in touch with me! ^^ This is perhaps the greatest game ever, and I'd like to help make it better for more users. :)

I don't want to be complaining about this without offering to be part of the solution.

--Danny

It's not like any one cares, though. You're not gonna get the F.B.I. to go hunt down every one who makes a mod and arrest them over a stupid game, exspecally a fan-game.

EDIT: I DW doesn't delete that double post in the next 60 seconds I'm gona make fun of him.

EDIT2: Danggit.

Draykon said:
Uhuh

You wanna upload a source code to an already slow server every single time you make a beta update? I sure as hell don't.

This is what Alam's SVN server is for.

SVN, aka Subversion, is a system that tracks sets of changes in files

let look at the changes at SRB2MODS server..

list of recent changes: http://lawarias.game-server.cc:81/trac/timeline?changeset=on

now lets take a look at one change for example, http://lawarias.game-server.cc:81/trac/changeset/1295

here i changed one line, now if you were to click "Next Changeset", you would see the next set of changes someone made

but all that is server side, for you! it a bit differnt

Alam, your turn

Yeah, most of the major EXE mods and ports out there are already on the SVN. I believe it has SRB2109, SRB2JTE, Shufflarb2, SSBSS, The Missing Links, SRB2Mac, SRB2GP2X, and SRB2DoomBuilder.

I think that would be awesome if my mortal mind could comprehend it. You are a true genius, even though you use your Master Server control powers as an excuse no to capitalize your i's. *banned from the MS.*

It had something to do with how the data in files changes through versions, right?*Head asplodes.*

Dark Warrior said:
...?

The Subversion Repository and the Master Server are two totally different things.

Then every thing I know is a lie. No seriously, I have no idea what's being talked about now. But why do I care? *See the thing about the FBI.*

Thanks everybody for the help. I apologize again if I offended anyone (except Shu, for obvious reasons :roll:)

I will do an svn checkout and try these out! Thanks everybody, especially you, Alam!

I just changed the title because I feel bad about the original one...
-----------------------------
Shu, this thread has NOTHING to do with regular Windows users. Source code is only relevant to developers and people who don't run Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back