Changing camera modes

Status
Not open for further replies.

CGally

I got this idea after a glitch affected me. Basically, I was playing the Adventure Example and the camera naturally worked a certain way in it, so I used the controller instead of the keyboard and mouse to control Sonic.

But when I played other levels, the camera stayed in "adventure mode" form. That wasn't so bad though, as it still felt natural to control using the controller instead of keyboard and mouse, and actually had advantages in certain respects.

So my suggestion to you is to, in the next version, include an option to change camera mode - possibly on the fly. It would be an excellent feature, I think. Using the keyboard and mouse is ideal for "behind-the-character" view and Doom-type controls, but using the controller works best for the "adventure mode" camera, and it feels more like playing a regular 3D Sonic game that way. People would have a choice between the two modes, and it would work great for everyone.

Just a suggestion to keep in mind. Thanks for the great game! :)

You can already change some of the camera properties on the fly with the console.

Try these

Cam_height
Cam_dist
Cam_still
Chasecam

And in OpenGL mode, try this

GR_FOV

There is a topic for these kind of suggestions.

I think you could use key binds to switch between modes. Not sure.

There should be an "Analog Control" option you can turn on/off in the options menu that does just that.

"analog 1" does it indeed. It activates the camera mode that is more natural-feeling to controller users. Thanks.

Now my suggestion is to make it an option (or even a button press) in the next version so the general public will know about it and experiment to find which camera mode suits them best.

Now my suggestion is to make it an option (or even a button press) in the next version so the general public will know about it and experiment to find which camera mode suits them best.

It should be in the options menu already. Isn't it?

Also, why don't you let people use analog in netgames?

Every player does not have a camera in a netgame. In that mode, movement is based on the position of the camera, not the player.

Oh, it's in the options under "controls" -> "analog controls". I didn't know that - the name didn't imply what it was (that it changed the camera behavior or made it control more directly). Glad it's there as an option though. I definitely prefer this mode. It feels so much more natural with my PS2 controller.

However, I wish the game would remember what setting you put that option on, and save it there the next time you run it. That at least is something I feel should be addressed in the next release.

Yes, but the average person doesn't know about this. I'm suggesting this for the convenience of the average person.

Heck, I don't even know how to do scripts - I could learn, but that's not my point here.

The more approachable something is to ordinary people who may not know a lot about computers, the more it can catch on.

Use Notepad and put in the file
analog 1

Then, save as 'Autoexec.cfg' in your SRB2 Directory. It *should* work then.
You've just created a console script. A basic one, but still. Yes, they are that easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back