SRB2 AL

Possible?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard about this just a few days before the old forum closed, and I was wodering if it would be even HUMANLY possible to make a Multiplayer AL Bot. I mean, all you would HAVE to do is, have it chase the closest player,
if it has any rings left. If not, tell it to go get some, and if thre is a special ring in the sector it's in, grab it and continue chasing.

Right? the only problem I would find with this, is that you'd have to make a hellofa lotta sectors...

First off, it's AI. Second, bots in other Doom source ports are utterly idiotic. I seriously doubt we could do any better in SRB2.

This has more to do with time than anything else.

What would you rather have us do: Work on finishing the game, or work on adding bots?

Simply put, any bots we could feasibly make would be really stupid and not be able to do anything except on maps like SMATCH, so it just doesn't seem important to try.

Bots munchmunch CPU. I'm talking that you'll need a 2ghz+ to do it.

I dunno, AJ. Quake 1's reaperbots ran silky smooth even on my old 266mhz when I had 16 of'em running around in a level.

However, Zdooms Bots on the other hand... if I had more than four crusing around a stage my PC practically burst into flame.

What you guys are failing to think about is that any time we spend making bots means that we aren't using that time to do other things. I'm personally much more interested in finishing the 1 player game, myself.

SRB2, I mean with quality. You do realize the original intent was to make all of the stages have their own texture set, right? Also, there is no way that us puny mortals with WadAuthor can even compare to the gigantic stages that AJ produces with DCK.

I would have to say that a441 is the only one that can effectively utilize as many features as I can.

Besides, there's a lot of level-specific stuff left to program for that makes them unique. Otherwise they're just bland thingys..

I don't like level-specific stuff in the code. It gives THE AUTHORS unfair advantages in building levels. The crazy THZ2 button is a good example. Eventually, the linedef executor will be able to make that kind of effect (and much much more), so add-on level makers can have their own crazy buttons.

Mystic said:
SRB2, I mean with quality. You do realize the original intent was to make all of the stages have their own texture set, right? Also, there is no way that us puny mortals with WadAuthor can even compare to the gigantic stages that AJ produces with DCK.

?! Mystic, lot's of us use DCK, and can make gigantic levels too! Making new texture sets is pretty damn easy, and if you ever need any help on the textures, just ask, damnit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 6, Members: 0, Guests: 6)

Back