Something odd about 2.1 Special Stages

Status
Not open for further replies.
I figured out something about the new special stages. Sonic transforms Super when Sonic could NOT transform without the Chaos Emeralds. Am I right? (I already know the direction the thread is already.)

There is also a secret 8th Chaos Emerald, you think that's not weird? I think the fact that Super Sonic being NiGHTS is a fine connection between the 2: Super Sonic can fly; and so can NiGHTS. Also, Mystic did mention that this game isn't supposed to be a serious game, so something as odd as that is just there. Like the Launch Cutscene of 2.1.

I seem to remember that, in the discussion topic before 2.1's release, someone justified this by saying that the ambient chaos energy of the Special Stages lets Sonic transform without all of the emeralds, but he needs them to transform in his own world since that energy isn't present. Of course, the out-of-game explanation is that SRB2's only NiGHTS sprites were for Super Sonic and making ones for the normal characters would've been a waste of the devs' time.

I thought that it would be cool if normal character versions were made, but the chance of that ever happening is unreasonable at best considering the amount of NiGHTS there are, if I recall correctly, is at the very least the same as a normal character. Still kinda want ones for each character (so Tails or Knux doesn't become Sonic), but what can you do.

The current explanation floating around 'dev, which is Mystic's so you know it's canon, is that the characters are dreaming about being Super Sonic. This may be integrated into a coming release by replacing the backing image on the results screen with pictures of the player character having either a pleasant dream or a nightmare, depending on the results of the special stage.

Is it a convenient excuse to get out of making more NiGHTS sprites? Why, yes, I'm glad you noticed that!

TBH you'd only need like one sprite per character and then just rotate it four times.

This may be integrated into a coming release by replacing the backing image on the results screen with pictures of the player character having either a pleasant dream or a nightmare, depending on the results of the special stage.

That's rather cool, actually. However it does beg the question of "where did this bed come from".

A glowing blue orb that flashes 7 colors makes a player summon a bed and dream into a stage where they can nab a chaos emerald and keep it in their inventory?

OK.

I'll be honest, I like the idea. This makes the purpose of the special stages seem more mystical. If grabbing a token can suddenly put a player to sleep at [the end of a stage] some point, having to either wake up from a nightmare or with an emerald in their pocket.

NiGHTS into DREAMS.

What kind of intrepid adventurer doesn't have a sleeping bag handy for such occasions?

Oh *smacks head*, of course! Nothing like a good ol' sleeping bag for adventurers that want to smoke some and enter Special Stages.

It's a good thing Sonic and co. have pockets big enough to carry them!

Nothing like a good ol' sleeping bag for adventurers that want to smoke some and enter Special Stages.

Sonic was sleeping on the ground in the opening cutscene to the game, so even if they had no sleeping bags I'm sure they wouldn't mind konking out on the ground for a little bit!

Something else that isn't sitting with me right pertaining to special stages is that Sonic doesn't flash wildly while flying around like how he does in regular stages. Then again, I guess it wouldn't be too much fun for your eyes to watch 7 seperately flashing Super Sonics compete for rings against each other in Multiplayer.

Sonic was sleeping on the ground in the opening cutscene to the game, so even if they had no sleeping bags I'm sure they wouldn't mind konking out on the ground for a little bit!

Something else that isn't sitting with me right pertaining to special stages is that Sonic doesn't flash wildly while flying around like how he does in regular stages. Then again, I guess it wouldn't be too much fun for your eyes to watch 7 seperately flashing Super Sonics compete for rings against each other in Multiplayer.
Or maybe the Super Sonic's can have the same color as the player, it could at the very least make it custom...

Who needs sleeping bags? Make them sleep in the floor, like in the Binding of Isaac. You should just delete the tears in the characters.

Okay, I honestly love the idea of Nights stages (Special Stages) be just dreams. I love the background-changes-if-you-screwed-up-or-not (New word) idea too. My main suggestion is either to change Super Sonic to normal characters (Which changes depending the character you are playing as) or maybe just make the Super forms for both Tails and Knuckles for Nights.

It's a special zone where you can only be Super Sonic there. The emeralds allow you to take that power outside of the zone.

I know this same conversation been gone over half a million times, but I think this situation is unique enough to be worth dredging this up. It is really bizzare that all this effort's been put into the super forms in 2.1 patches (Tails super transformation sprites and palettes weren't in the original release, while Knuckles got a new palette in the original build while I forget when his transformation sprites were introduced) when now we're just going to drop Super characters entirely from Multiplayer, leaving those effectively unused.

I'm wondering how feasible it is to have it so once you beat a Singleplayer savefile with all Emeralds as a non-Sonic character to say [CHARACTER] can now become SUPER [CHARACTER] for that save file after the credits, giving an extra benefit to replaying old save files and beating the game multiple times? It might be confusing with Co-op in the mix, though, which is why I'm reluctant to get behind this idea 100%.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back