Roly Poly Putt

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to see this on Android if it's at all possible.

Do you have any shell code for running native code on Android? Or any links/resources that would be helpful in this regard? You've done some Android work, correct?

If this get's released to the PC will there be a level editor so we can make our own courses?

I think having a level editor is getting a little ahead of ourselves -- making a stage is quite a bit more involved than say, SRB2. That being said, a PC version might expose some dev-like access to launch custom levels if you are adept enough to make them. We use DeleD ( www.delgine.com ) for most of the level creation, mixed in with a little bit of Maya for some more advanced stuff.

I will copy pasta from my youtube comment.
I have two criticisms of this game. The sound effects sound like they use klik and play sounds, and that isn't a good thing for this game. I hope you consider changing that. And I think the jumping looks a slightly awkward, I don't know if it would be less awkward when you play it, but it sort of looks strange around 41 seconds on the video when the character is slow. It looks like he shouldn't be able to make that jump with the speed, but he does. Looks pretty good aside from that!

I have two criticisms of this game. The sound effects sound like they use klik and play sounds, and that isn't a good thing for this game. I hope you consider changing that. And I think the jumping looks a slightly awkward, I don't know if it would be less awkward when you play it, but it sort of looks strange around 41 seconds on the video when the character is slow. It looks like he shouldn't be able to make that jump with the speed, but he does. Looks pretty good aside from that!

I can't say I'm overly pleased with the sound effects, but this can be something very hard for an indie studio to do. I ended up buying a bunch from IndieSFX. A small handful of other sounds I had to pay big bucks for just to get the rights to use them.

As for the jumping... the shot you described was a poor choice by Spazzo, IMO, for that exact reason. You can't tell, but there's a small slope there on the rock that he jumped off of to get a little extra of a forward boost. I promise the jumping is even better than SRB2's, since you get a shadow.

Out of interest, what kind of engine is this running on? Is it custom made or did you use a readily available engine?

I can't say I'm overly pleased with the sound effects, but this can be something very hard for an indie studio to do. I ended up buying a bunch from IndieSFX. A small handful of other sounds I had to pay big bucks for just to get the rights to use them.

What about the possibility of making your own? That would have been my first way to handle the problem, before I even considered buying sounds.

Out of interest, what kind of engine is this running on? Is it custom made or did you use a readily available engine?

Wizard2! About time, huh?

What about the possibility of making your own? That would have been my first way to handle the problem, before I even considered buying sounds.

So I just sit there and spit into a microphone? What if I need the sound of breaking glass? Or a certain kind of motor? Do I go out and buy panes of glass and smash them? Or rent whatever farm equipment I might need just to record a sound? Depending on what you need, it's just better to buy a pack.
A lot of people don't realize this, but it is actually illegal to use any sounds you download online or find somewhere, or record off of something else.

So I just sit there and spit into a microphone? What if I need the sound of breaking glass? Or a certain kind of motor? Do I go out and buy panes of glass and smash them? Or rent whatever farm equipment I might need just to record a sound? Depending on what you need, it's just better to buy a pack.
A lot of people don't realize this, but it is actually illegal to use any sounds you download online or find somewhere, or record off of something else.

If you need a spit sound, then yes, that would probably be ideal. :p

However, I was actually referring to the player movement sound effects, the menu sounds, and the cube collect sounds. Things like that don't even NEED a real life recording, and could be synthesized. Even a simple oscillator could yield some nice results. I mean, look at the actual Sonic the Hedgehog sound effects! His jump sound is pretty much just a slidewhistle-esque technique. The Mario coin sound is pretty much the simplest of simplest. You're not going for realism here, so things like these are fitting.

Things like breaking glass are a bit different. I'm assuming, on the basis that both you and Spazzo are musicians, that you have some proper recording equipment at your disposal. I know I do, and since I live in between a city and a rural area, I probably WOULD try my hand at bringing a microphone around. Simple sounds like splashes would be very easy to record. Farm equipment, you could just use any old engine. In fact, in that case I probably would have just synthesized one, or recorded a lawnmower or something. Menu sounds would have been a charm. Especially as they can be anything from clicks to music notes to silly noises, there are multiple ways one could have gone about it.

In this way, "Spitting into a microphone" is exactly what a sound designer does.

I guess it's largely a matter of envisioning what kind of sound you want when you don't even know what you want in the first place. I also don't have much software for manipulating waveforms for making sounds and can't afford to plop down a couple grand for Adobe Audition.

How would you go about doing it? Not meaning to sound cocky here, I'm genuinely interested. Personally, my computer is pretty freaking noisy, too.

Honestly, I don't know what professionals who make a living doing this use, but if I were given the task, I would pull up FL Studio, and start hammering away at any of the various VSTis that came with it. Many native VSTis came with it, everything from FM Synths, to additive and subtractive synths, to simple oscillators, all that. Which sort I chose would be depending on what I wanted it to sound like. If I needed to do any touch up to the clip, I would just open it up in an audio editor, like Edison (which is part of FL Studio) or Audacity.

I can understand what you mean about not being able to envision sounds though. I'm trying to imagine a proper sound for collecting sugarcubes, and I just can't at the moment. But then again, it doesn't actually have to be related to the object. Remember the banana collecting sound in DKC?

Well, you're never going to get synthesised breaking glass to ever sound good, and an engine is a pretty long shot too. Synthesisers are for making notes, and they really can't do anything else very well. Even drums will almost always sound like shit unless you fish out alot of money for really high-end VSTs.

That's nonsense. Synthesizers are for, simply, synthesizing sounds. And if you think mechanical sounds are hard to do well, you have a very small knowledge of synthesizers.

Also, did you miss this quote? I never said it would be easy to make glass sounds with them.

Things like breaking glass are a bit different. I'm assuming, on the basis that both you and Spazzo are musicians, that you have some proper recording equipment at your disposal.

I'm not sure how you think they do make sound effects, if you don't think they do it with audio manipulation tools. Heck, just look at the windwaker sound effects, and my point is proved.

Well, you're never going to get synthesised breaking glass to ever sound good, and an engine is a pretty long shot too. Synthesisers are for making notes, and they really can't do anything else very well. Even drums will almost always sound like shit unless you fish out alot of money for really high-end VSTs.

Wait, so synthesizers can't make a glass breaking sound? FM8's built-in library has more complicated sounds than a simple glass break.

FM8 (or any frequency modulation VST, for that matter) is definitely capable of making shatter/engine sounds. All it takes is a fair amount of knowledge about the program. For me, I would set the activated oscillators to have a high ratio/offset. This should make something like a high-pitched sine. Then, modulate one of the oscillators in on itself in order to get kind of a static noise. After that, mess with the envelopes to get a ting! sound. The rest is up to the sound designer. It's very easy to get used to FM8/whatever. Just try to stay away from getting the sound too obnoxious or high pitched.

And no, synthesizers are not for just making notes. That logic defeats the very purpose of a good synthesizer. Synthesizers were made to give sound designers something to work with, they're for producing the sounds used to make the notes. Of course, after getting your sound, you can make notes/rhythms/sweeps/whatever.

I'm trying to imagine a proper sound for collecting sugarcubes, and I just can't at the moment.

Well I recall regarding the old Crash bandicoot games that whenever you collect a Wumpa Fruit (The peach/Apple-looking fruits) it was associated with a sound that was a small slurping-like sound that escalated in it's pitch the more you collect in a row or at once.

This would be a good example (just click "Preview" to hear the sound)

Perhaps something similar to that? It does give off the sensation that the fruit you collected sounds delectable, same thing could be applied to the cubes. Course this depends if it's possible. . .

Last edited:
No D: I went to go buy it, but noticed that it will be released tomorrow. >=[

Anyways, I just watched the launch video, and seriously, this game looks pretty awesome. I've played quite a few (way too many) games on the iPhone, and from the video alone this already looks better and seems a lot more fun than most of them. Gonna buy it as soon as I can. Also, the link to the App Store currently doesn't work for me, I'm assuming it's because the release date is tomorrow.

EDIT: Also, good choice on the $0.99 app cost. At least for me, I almost never buy apps if they're more than $1.

Last edited:
How long did it take for you to make this game? I know you've been working on it since V 1.1, but that could mean that you worked on and off/etc.

When it asked me if I wanted to review the app in game, it opened itunes intead of the app store, and searched for roly-poly-putt with dashes instead of spaces. Obviously, it couldn't find it in the itunes store. Perhaps this is because it's still new? I'm having a blast so far btw!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back