Analog control discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello, I'm creating this to discuss about the AC, the team have been working on it?
it's better than the default control.

I love using it with my gamepad... in single player.
Why can't they let you use it online? I don't think it would be much of an advantage in coop, would it?

I love using it with my gamepad... in single player.
Why can't they let you use it online? I don't think it would be much of an advantage in coop, would it?

If I recall correctly, there's an issue with making the camera object work in the netcode. So it's not that it's merely disabled in netgames, it's that it literally doesn't work in netgames, and fixing it isn't very feasible.

What do you guys mean that it doesn't work online? Do you mean it's impossible in any game mode or do you mean just first person match?

Analog control cares about the location of your camera when determining how you move. For instance, when you press right, in analog, the game looks at the position of your camera and moves right based on that viewpoint.

This is all fine and great for single player, but in netplay, the camera is actually only local. The position of your camera is known only to you on your end, and all your camera variables are kept to yourself. This means the server has no way to know where your camera is and therefore can't possibly know which direction "right" happens to be for you. That's why analog mode only works in single player.

Apart from Coop, I can't even really think of a reason Analog should be very useful in multiplayer. In Match, Tag, and CTF it would be a completely suboptimal way of controlling the player; how the heck would you aim accurately if the player and camera were positioned at different angles? In Circuit, it would probably be a better option than the standard camera, but first person is superior to both. So, yeah, even if there was a way the devs could bust their butts completely recoding the cameras to accommodate this option, how much of a benefit would it really be?

And don't get me wrong--when it comes to Single Player, I use Analog religiously. I just doubt that the same kinds of advantages would carry over to other modes.

And don't get me wrong--when it comes to Single Player, I use Analog religiously. I just doubt that the same kinds of advantages would carry over to other modes.
Just out of curiosity, can you do really difficult platforming with Analog? Because I always found it near impossible.

Just out of curiosity, can you do really difficult platforming with Analog? Because I always found it near impossible.

Well, it has been my experience that if you can get accustomed to using the Analog camera, some things are actually easier.

The trick is to get good at manipulating the camera angle and the player angle simultaneously, which can be awkward at first but becomes second nature after a while. I find that Analog permits you to change direction far more smoothly and quickly, which can be helpful in plenty of situations. The only real drawback to Analog is that the camera's extra height and distance can make it more punishing to negotiate cramped passages, which in any case shouldn't be too common if the level in question was competently designed.

My love for Analog Mode is manifest in Tortured Planet's design, as I used Analog during practically all of my test runs. The result is that the paths are a tiny bit wider, and with slightly smoother turns, than would have been strictly necessary. Essentially it was made under the assumption that players would use Analog. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, because anything that doesn't cause problems in Analog certainly won't cause problems in Standard. In fact, the only places in all of Tortured Planet where it noticeably hurts to use Analog is Knuckles' wall-climbing mazes in Snowcap Nimbus Zone Act 1 and Spacewalk Zone Act 2.

autoexec.cfg excerpt said:
bind b "toggle useranalog"
I am reminded of that scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark where some dude gets all flashy and "ooo imma cut you up" with a big knife, and Indy just casually pulls his revolver and shoots his ass.

Last edited:
As a level designer, I want to use analog for some fixed-camera N64 Zelda-esque moments of pure awesome. Aside from that, it's useless to me.

Sadly, it won't work for single player.

Now that I bought an Xbox 360 controller for my PC, I am now adapting it for my games, anyone knows how to turn an action (As jump, spin, etc) for an LT or an RT trigget?

How do you get the Xbox 360 controller working on the PC? Is there an adaptor you have to get at the shops or something?

Also, shouldn't each button be labelled as a analog button when you hit an X360 controller button when prompted (when changing controls)?

There are special Xbox360 controllers with a USB cord attached to it. Those are designed to work with a PC.

Same goes for wired PS3 controllers.

Actually, the Xbox controller works well with the computer because it´s made my Microsoft (Like the Gamecube controlers work on Wii since they´re made by Nintendo) however, Sony´s PS3 controlers while they DO have an USB cable, the control is not compatible, you need to download shitload o´ programs for it to work on PC.

I can't remember exactly, but I only needed like two files to get it to run properly (another one just there to help with calibration). It isn't that much to get those controllers working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back