Does anyone think the final boss is anticlimatic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawhog

I think it is, or at least uncreative. I know Dr. Robotnik using a giant robot (especially ones that resemble himself) isn't unheard of, but I just don't think that using the "Metal Robotnik/Black Eggman" thing from the Sonic Movie/Ova was the best move. That character is the only reference to the Movie/Ova made in this game, and it just seems out of place compared to the more "original" things (like the rest of the bosses and enemies).

I'm not trying to flame, just saying something that crossed my mind.

That won't be the final boss in the final game. It's actually going to be the boss battle to Dark City Zone, but acts 1 and 2 from that zone haven't released. Not only that, but since they wanted to have at least some kind of a boss battle at the end of Egg Rock Zone for the current version of the game, we have Metal Robotnik as a temporary final boss. I was originally disappointed by the boss battle as well, but after finding out this information, I became much less disappointed.

There's more Sonic OVA elements to SRB2 than just Brak Eggman. The plot itself focuses on Sonic, Tails and Knuckles, with boss fights from Dr. Eggman and (hopefully) Metal Sonic, and Dark City Zone is supposed to be a parallel to Robotropolis/Eggmanland. I'd even go as far to say that the game's sprites and AJ's artwork most closely resembles the way that Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Eggman were drawn in the Sonic OVA.

As for the boss itself, I love it. It may not be visually innovative, but the ways in which it's taken down are so innovative and risky, just like all other great Sonic final bosses. And then there's that great difficultly factor. You're not allowed to rest for a second, ensuring that the battle stays exciting. Next to ERZ2 I'd say it's the most intelligently designed element of SRB2, myself.

Last edited:
There's more Sonic OVA elements to SRB2 than just Brak Eggman. The plot itself focuses on Sonic, Tails and Knuckles, with boss fights from Dr. Eggman ...I'd even go as far to say that the game's sprites and AJ's artwork most closely resembles the way that Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Eggman were drawn in the Sonic OVA.

As for the boss itself, I love it. It may not be visually innovative, but the ways in which it's taken down are so innovative and risky, just like all other great Sonic final bosses. And then there's that great difficultly factor. You're not allowed to rest for a second, ensuring that the battle stays exciting. Next to ERZ2 I'd say it's the most intelligently designed element of SRB2, myself.
I agree and disagree on some of your points, Just because it has those characters doesn't mean it is ova related, I will agree that Aj's artwork is inspired by the ova (or at least Japanese Sonic in General), and I will agree that the boss itself is very difficult and challenging. I just thought they could have made a new Mech for Robotnik, OR added more references here and there so it won't seem so out of place to me.

Um, there will be more references. Dark City will be based off of The Land of Darkness, and I think Metal Sonic will be a boss somewhere, but I'm not sure about that.

...and Dark City Zone is supposed to be a parallel to Robotropolis/Eggmanland.

That'd be the last thing anyone'd want to happen. (At least I, I hate that place...) Eggmanland was full of metal and all and DCZ isn't going to be like that at all. Just look Acid Missiles GMZ or that old Match level SWZ for how it's probably supposed to be.

LightspeedX said:
That'd be the last thing anyone'd want to happen. (At least I, I hate that place...) Eggmanland was full of metal and all and DCZ isn't going to be like that at all. Just look Acid Missiles GMZ or that old Match level SWZ for how it's probably supposed to be.

Except for the sewer-trekking bits, I'd say that GMZ is generally bland. It's just basically a city at night. On the other hand, the whole "metallic base" thing has been done to death with THZ and ERZ. But it's entirely possible for DCZ to be a unique and memorable urban-themed level.

Last edited:
I find the fact that the stage is nothing but four towers suspended in space anticlimactic. The boss itself is definitely a huge change from the normal SRB2 boss, if by the standards of normal games it is pretty generic. Now, if this boss goes into DCZ and the boss that replaces it in ERZ isn't even more groundbreaking (but it will be, afaik), THEN the final boss will be anticlimactic.

Also, hasn't Dr. Robotnik been in a giant robot in every single game where there wasn't some supernatural entity? (and in some of those he was in a giant robot anyway...)

Sonic 1 - Exception
Sonic 2 - Giant Mechanical Robotnik
Sonic CD - Exception
Sonic 3K - Giant Flying/chasing Robotnik
Sonic 3DB - Giant Tank Robotnik
Chaotix - Metal Knuckles comes close
SA1 - Egg Walker
SA2 - Exception (supernatural entity)
SH - Egg Emperor, Metal Sonic comes close
ShtH - Eggman in Slot Machine
S:NG - Exception (supernatural entity)
SatSR - Exception (supernatural entity)
Sadv1-3 - Eggman in Giant Robot
SR - Eggman/Nega Doomsday Tribute
SRA - Big Swell comes close, Lava Robotnik
SU - Egg Dragoon
SatBK - Black Knight comes close

(not counting riders, sonic r, spinball, and similar spinoffs) All but a few games had Robotnik piloting a giant robot or at least something that looks like Robotnik piloting a giant robot. Its one of the few traditions that Sonic Team consistently honors that has been around since Sonic 2. Why should we deviate just for the sake of being different?

EDIT: Thanks tmm, updated list.

Last edited:
I believe each of the Sonic Advances have Eggman in a giant robot in either the last fight, or the second to last fight in Sonic A3's case.
SA2 does not as far as I recall. Eggman sends the Egg Golem to attack, but that doesn't work, since Eggman isn't piloting it.
ShtH had Eggman in a giant slot machine in most of the neutral ending story lines.

Probably "later", not "sooner".. I've never seen a Metal Sonic boss done right, and I'd assume that if he's going to show up, it is going to take a while to code him in to begin with, not to mention make sure its actually FUN instead of most character-vs-character battles which are tedious by virtue of attack pattern, and frustrating by virtue of the smaller hitbox.
(The best character-vs-character battle was Mecha Sonic in Sonic 3k... I don't think I've played a 3d character-vs-character battle in a Sonic game since that feels near as worthwhile.. except maybe E101-MkII. They are either cheap or pathetic)

JEV3 said:
...not to mention make sure its actually FUN instead of most character-vs-character battles which are tedious by virtue of attack pattern, and frustrating by virtue of the smaller hitbox.

If there was ever a time to appreciate 2D mode, it would be now. It's certaintly not a fix-all to the above problem, but it should at least make attacking Metal a hell of a lot less frustrating.

WHERE'S OUR TEASER FROM SSN HE ALWAYS POPS IN TO THESE THINGS JUST TO GIVE WEASEL HINTS.

Also, I don't really think Metal will be a boss. He might make an appearance, but maybe as a warm-up before Eggman, like the bosses in SA3.

Expect Metal Sonic to make an appearance sooner or later, yes.

Isn't that basic what we said about this version of srb2 as well?
But yeah... I was kinda wanting an eggman Chase like in Sonic 1/2... this seemed kinda empty...
That and lack of a super sonic stage... Flying would be hard but something like Mystic realm? I mean they must have made 'super fire shoot' for something more then just fun... right?

That and lack of a super sonic stage... Flying would be hard but something like Mystic realm? I mean they must have made 'super fire shoot' for something more then just fun... right?

We will probably not get the Super Sonic stage until game is completed.
The Final Fight might even take everyone by surprise, it might even be greatly different than the ones in mods and level packs gameplay-wise, but we do not know that yet.

After hearing that the level this boss will be in the final version (Kinda ironic since I thought this was the final one, I guess you can improve on perfection) will make more of a reference, it will make more sense. I just thought it looked a little out of place in Eggrock 3

I thought it made a pretty decent final boss for the demo, all things considered. I mean, Sonic 2's final boss was basically the same thing in a smaller arena, even though there was another fight with Silver Sonic before that. There've been worse final bosses in Sonic. CD's, for example. Or any of the Game Gear ones.

Still, I'm still looking forward to see what the non-super final boss is. Even if it was a little easy, I don't think Death Egg's last boss was ever really beaten, so if they manage to get anywhere close to that, they'll have done a good enough job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back