Contest Discussion Topic (2.0.X)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing those 2 mansions made me think that maybe it's high time to make my overdue castle level. So time constraints permitting, I may get in my swinging platforms, or I may just wind up with the chains.

This time, there will be psudo-slopes.

Last edited:
This time, there will be psudo-slopes.
You just can't make a normal map, can you? Besides, you should have noticed just how badly received your "pseudo-slopes" were and how little they had in common with actual slopes. If you do use them, prepare for low scores galore.

Anyway, on top of the SP castle-themed levels, it seems we have several castle-themed Match levels this time. Must be because it's around Halloween or something.

Last edited:
Anyway, on top of the SP castle-themed levels, it seems we have several castle-themed Match levels this time. Must be because it's around Halloween or something.

I never play match so I can't comment on that, but I am looking forward to the spooky SP levels since I haven't seen any except EMZ. Were past October contests like this?

Last year we had a something Halloween-ish SP map called Gothic Gardens, but it was neither very Halloween-themed nor very good. Apart from that, I don't know of any. We did have Christmas-themed maps around Christmas though.

What about that castle level with blood lakes? (Can't remember the name). It won the SP division, IIRC.

srb20191.png

My map is gonna beat everyone else's.

also I know the screenshot is screwy shaddup :<

This level is going to be very scary! The story is that Eggman locked you in a mansion and is now chasing you down with an ax. He also infected you with a toxin so you will sometimes see scary images with loud distorted screams.

...Okay I lied. I'm trying to make the map a little spooky, but not over the top to the point where people forget it's srb2. There won't be any new monsters, sounds, textures (inside the house at least) or different non-srb2 gameplay. Hopefully it can continue to look somewhat realistic while actually being fun. I have some ideas. :P

Toxin that makes you see scary stuff? NIGHTMARE HOUSE MUCH~
I kinda hoped this will be ghost haunted actually, looks nice.

You just can't make a normal map, can you? Besides, you should have noticed just how badly received your "pseudo-slopes" were and how little they had in common with actual slopes. If you do use them, prepare for low scores galore.
I'm well aware of the risk, and the Psudoslopes will not be abused like Sega/dimps abuses speed boosters. I'm also attempting to make a swinging platform using a combination of the swinging chain and polyobjects.

I guess the reason why I can't do normal levels is because I want to push the barrier of what's currently possible.

I'm well aware of the risk, and the Psudoslopes will not be abused like Sega/dimps abuses speed boosters. I'm also attempting to make a swinging platform using a combination of the swinging chain and polyobjects.
It doesn't matter if you abuse them or not, one of them wold be more than enough to make your level worse. Why don't you understand that these pseudo-slopes (or psudoslopes, as you call them) have nothing to do with real slopes and simply don't work?

I guess the reason why I can't do normal levels is because I want to push the barrier of what's currently possible.
In case you didn't notice, none of the maps you made until now were well-received. The sole exception, Daimondus CTF is probably the one map with the least "innovation". Pushing the borders of what's possible is one thing, pushing the borders in a good way is another.

It doesn't matter if you abuse them or not, one of them wold be more than enough to make your level worse. Why don't you understand that these pseudo-slopes (or psudoslopes, as you call them) have nothing to do with real slopes and simply don't work?
Those psudo-slopes were only the early phase, the current phase has the Sonic genesis games to use as referance. the steeper the slope the faster you need to be to get up it, and the faster you'll go down it.

Those psudo-slopes were only the early phase, the current phase has the Sonic genesis games to use as referance. the steeper the slope the faster you need to be to get up it, and the faster you'll go down it.
It's still a conveyor and not a slope. Don't you see the different in that? If you stand still on a pseudo-slope (and goddamnit, why are you consequently leaving out the "e" in "pseudo"?), you will get pushed down slowly, unlike a real slope. The difference is dramatic.

How is lava reef guys? What is a pseudo slope? I KNOW that slopes are IMPOSSIBLE in SRB2. Anyways my level starts where 1 left off. How? The lava rises. This time it will be smaller and has a outdoor section!

Glaber (I capitalised the first letter of your name in the interest of keeping to conventions in the English language), you do realise that your pseudo-slopes aren't even that?

There's a key difference between conveyors and slopes. In your pseudo slopes, an object instantly accelerates to a steady speed and moves down. In a real slope, the effect of gravity forcing down on an object causes the object to (assuming a steep enough gradient) move down the slope as the downwards force exceeds friction against slope surface.

I KNOW that slopes are IMPOSSIBLE in SRB2.!

Of course not in vanilla SRB2, but it's not impossible to add via modifications to the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back