Could Flock replace FireFox

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried it, and I must say, I'm very unimpressed by this. It's just Firefox with a new theme and a few small modifications for blog editors. While I can understand the point of making those kinds of things, it would seem to me that they'd be better off making Firefox extensions that do the exact same thing, without redownloading Firefox, which is essentially what you're doing with this.

Anyone who knows me knows that I love to try new things. But my initial impression of Flock is that it's pretty bad, even for beta software. Immediately upon execution it grew to a 52MB working set, in contrast with my Opera browser which had been sitting idle for most of the day with seven open tabs and consuming no more than 35MB of RAM. Additionally, I'm now getting a momentary pause about once every two seconds. I'm pretty much in agreement with DW. I don't think it's worth it just for a copy of Firefox with eye candy and pointless integration of a number of popular websites. Nice try though.

you know Flock isn't really that new

for me it's just a fork of the official Firefox builds with social sites integration and other things like blogging. Because I am not very active on them and I am not interested in this features I would say it doesn't suit my needs

I just use my Firefox with my 7 favourite add-ons

just my oppinion...

The beauty of Firefox is that it can be as minimalistic or maximal as you want, by choosing only the extensions you want to install. Flock... just can't do that. I don't see the point of having a bunch of useless yet forced add-ons, while not being able to use some of the more essential extensions I would like. I'm a geek, not a social frat-frat idiot.

I'll try this, but don't expect me to switch.

I don't really care for any browser other than Safari or FireFox. On my Mac I use Safari, and on my Windows I use FireFox. I would use Safari on my Windows too, but FireFox is good enough for me.

Internet Explorer comes preinstalled, works with just about all websites, and doesn't leak memory all over the place like Firefox. Wow! Where do they come up with this stuff?

Cheese said:
I don't really care for any browser other than Safari or FireFox. On my Mac I use Safari, and on my Windows I use FireFox. I would use Safari on my Windows too, but FireFox is good enough for me.

Same, I just use Safari on my Mac's, and Firefox on my PC's.

Oh yeah, Firefox is also more secure and lets you block ads and malicious scripts automatically. And there is a syndicated list of all known ads, whether they be page elements, images, or Flash, so that ads stay blocked. Microsoft would never want to do something like that.

In all honesty, Internet Explorer feels rather clunky after using Firefox. IE is unexpandable, doesn't handle new windows as tabs, has security holes, has an inaccurate and slow rendering engine, and has next to no community involvement. More and more web developers are deciding to add support to Firefox, and if a site still doesn't work under said browser, you can always use IETab to switch rendering engines.

Seriously, in all the time I've used Firefox, the only spyware I've ever gotten came in the form of harmless cookies. I can't recall the last time I got any other kind of spyware, or any virus that wasn't a false positive, from using Firefox. Under this light, there's really no reason to go back to Internet Explorer.

And if you hate Firefox so much for its memory leak that already has a fix, you could always try Opera. There's a browser that has a good wealth of features and is secure as well, and it looks to have some pretty strong community involvement. It's not quite as versatile as Firefox in my opinion, but it definitely has its fans.

I'm pretty sure that firefox has addons for those features. I prefer IE, but it bombed so I'm using firefox.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back