• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Magical Dimensions Zone (Complete)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry that I took so long. Here it is:

No screenshots yet, but the Magical Dimensions Zone is finally complete. http://www.mediafire.com/?8ibz4w4c4j894mk

Please rate the level of 1 to 10 and don't play the level online, because it is only playable with 1 player only.

EDIT: The thread is saying that it is incomplete but it's complete. The problem is that I can't change the thread's name.

Last edited:
Go to the first post and edit it. The title for it isthe thread title.

Edit: Oh yeah, if it's complete, you should submit it to Releases.

Last edited:
Review ~
The score will not help in this part of forum, it is rather used to enhance or demean a level of the contest. You must especially pay attention to detail that testers provide.
If you really want a note, so I put 5 / 10.

General : well-priced for a first level, though it's a heaven of suffering for Sonic and a country ballad for Tails. We need to find another challenge as flying platforms with a hole underneath, it's a challenge too much unbalanced.
Personally, I expected a new music and / or rings in the boss room.
The theme is still pretty to look at and well respected.

Forest Part : Lack of width, for a forest. I love the placement of red crawls, they are located just at the point where the thok of Sonic ends. In contrast, flying platforms are very long to go ...

Desert Part : Except for the flying platforms, not bad. Perhaps it would have been more better to use the texture SNDPILRA for ALL platforms that are not quicksand, and QUIKNOAN for ALL the quicksand sectors.

Ice Part : It is very similar to the sanctuary of water and ice of Rayman 2 ... the steps are very beautiful to look at - such as falls to the left and right.
But I'm surprised that the ice does not slide. Finally, do not make the flying platforms slide, only those where you can run on it.

Volcano Party : Quite short ... you tried to create a dangerous part, certainly, but quite short.

Boss detailed above.

The most important thing is that Sonic and Tails have no vision at all in the same level. We need to find other ideas for challenges. Also, these ideas will come more easily if the player does not play every time in a large room.

Thank you for the review. I apply the suggestions that you said on my future level pack. Thank you all.

You slightly overdid it with those small platforms. It's annoying as heck to deal with them with Sonic .

Yeah, I guess you are right.

Perhaps, soon I will make a beta version of this zone and replace that with bigger plataforms.

Thanks for the comment.

I suppose I'll review this level as well, going over each section seperately.
(I played through the level as Sonic.)

Grass/Forest Dimension: It was relatively easy for a first section, but it took me a while to find the red spring and I lost several lives while doing so. Please don't hide it among the bushes, SRB2 is usually not a treasure hunt, and when it is, there's an emerald radar. The platforms that move up and down all at once took me a while to figure out, and they're rather small for their point in the level, but I appreciate the challenge. Also, some of the platforms are misshapen so the flats on their surfaces are cut off on their right side.

Desert Dimension: I'm not sure if you noticed this, but the Minuses seem to be invisible until you're about 150 fracunits away, which is kind of odd, but not really your fault. Anyway, I agree with what IE said, you should make the textures less confusing so it's easier to tell which areas are quicksand and which aren't. I don't have any real problems with this dimension other than that except that the platforms are, once again, too small. Also, in case you haven't noticed, the Starpost Activator sector in this dimension is misaligned.

Ice Dimension: First of all, NEVER put death pits where people can't see them. Those gaps between the stairway and the platforms at either end need to either be wider or nonexistent, because at their current size they're almost completely invisible to the player until they've already walked into them and lost a life. It might also be a nice gimmick to have slippery surfaces in this dimension, even though many other levels use that gimmick as well. If you do make the surfaces slippery, though, you need to make those tiny platforms bigger once again.

Lava Dimension: OMFG, Rocky. This dimension is a NIGHTMARE with Sonic, and the difficulty spike between it and the ice dimension is absurd. I lost more than two-thirds of the total lives I lost on this level in this dimension. Yes, this dimension is twice as hard as all the others combined, at least to me. Besides the incredibly annoying spikeballs on those still rediculously tiny platforms, there are also those infuriating Buzzes that always show up just when you're about to make a tricky jump and screw you up completely. If nothing else, just make those platforms bigger... D: Also, you can skip all of the spikes by walking along the edge of the platform, and the lavafall just before the spikes doesn't harm you.

Boss: A rather interesting arena, and we don't get to fight the Egg Mobile with spikeballs very often (even though a SOCed attack or two would have been nice), but I do still have two major problems with it. First of all, the arena is too large and it takes forever to lure Eggman back over to you once you hit him. Second--and this is by far the most frustrating one--there's no checkpoint right before the boss teleporter, which means that if you die on the boss, you have to do the entire already mind-blowingly cheap lava dimension over again. However, this problem is rather easy to fix. Just add a Star Post right before those springs and some rings in the boss arena, and you'll be fine.

Conclusion: In general, this was a rather entertaining level, although there are still some glaring flaws with the difficulty curve and the character balance that prevent this from being something I'm inclined to play over and over again. There were a few interesting platforming gimmicks, and you really went out of your way to hide secrets in clever ways, but this level just doesn't have enough redeeming value for me to enjoy playing it.

Rating: 3/10

It's ok. Thanks for the review. I will definitely try to improve my skills.

A beta version will be out there but it will take a while.

Anyway, thanks for the review 742mph, And for the honest comments. I will correct those flaws.

I hope that I can some day keep up with awesome level designers like KO.T.E or Mystic. (Some day)

---------- Post added at 05:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:43 PM ----------

Guys, The level is in the releases section. Please comment there.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back