Will Crawlas Ever Shoot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eblo

I've always wondered whether or not if Crawlas will ever shoot. I mean, they have turret-like "noses" and the concept art shows them firing bullets.

Is there a chance of Crawlas becoming bullet-firing enemies? Or will there be a variant of Crawla that will fire bullets?

I think it would be cool to have a variant of Crawlas that fire bullets, but I don't know if they're planning to have them.

One of the original plans with my mod was for Blue Crawlas to shoot bullets and Red Crawlas to shoot lasers, but I'm not sure I'll follow up on that.

The Crawla Commander used to fire shots originally, but it was absurdly annoying and cheap, and that feature was removed.

Just gave all blue crawlas a 50% chance to shoot one bullet during one cycle run.

Judge by yourself how annoying it turns out! x___x

Code:
FRAME 68
SPRITENUMBER = 2
SPRITESUBNUMBER = 16
DURATION = 3
NEXT = 52
ACTION A_RandomState
VAR1 = 2000
VAR2 = 2001

FRAME 2000
SPRITENUMBER = 2
SPRITESUBNUMBER = 0
DURATION = 3
NEXT = 53
ACTION A_Chase
VAR1 = 0
VAR2 = 0

FRAME 2001
SPRITENUMBER = 2
SPRITESUBNUMBER = 0
DURATION = 1
NEXT = 2002
ACTION A_TurretFire
VAR1 = 91
VAR2 = 0

FRAME 2002
SPRITENUMBER = 2
SPRITESUBNUMBER = 0
DURATION = 2
NEXT = 53
ACTION A_TurretStop
VAR1 = 0
VAR2 = 0

Thing 1
MAPTHINGNUM = 3004
SPAWNSTATE = 50
SPAWNHEALTH = 1
SEESTATE = 52
SEESOUND = 0
REACTIONTIME = 32
ATTACKSOUND = 0
PAINSTATE = 0
PAINCHANCE = 200
PAINSOUND = 0
MELEESTATE = 0
MISSILESTATE = 0
DEATHSTATE = 603
DEATHSOUND = 22
XDEATHSTATE = 0
SPEED = 3
RADIUS = 1572864
HEIGHT = 2097152
MASS = 100
DAMAGE = 0
ACTIVESOUND = 0
RAISESTATE = 0
FLAGS = 16777221

Morph said:
Just gave all blue crawlas a 50% chance to shoot one bullet during one cycle run.

Judge by yourself how annoying it turns out! x___x

I see what you mean. But then there shoot be a semi-rare Crawla that shoots. Just a suggestion.

Yeah, I agree. Maybe we should have a Green Crawla, which is just as fast as the Red Crawla, but also shoots bullets.

Having some Crawlas shoot and others not effects the player's perception of them and will ultimately result in cheap kills, though. How is the player supposed to distingiush a shooting one from an ordinary one? It's not the frequency that's annoying (although granted it could be if overdone), it's the arbitrary manner in which they're fired. This could easily be circumvented by providing a visual discrepency or clue of some sort, but at this point the effort required far outweighs the need or demand for such a feature.

Crawlas are fine as they are, really, they can still provide a challenge when used correctly whilst still serving their basic purpose as low-level cannon-fodder, gun fire would just oversaturate the formula, not to mention levels would have to be edited and balance tweaked to accomadate such an attack.

TL;DR It's really not worth the effort.

There was a member in this forum named "shadow" who made Eggmanway, a mod that contains a lot of levels that was lacking in the scenery department. But one version had shooting crawlas. Once they locate you, they shoot. It got really annoying when you bounced off a spring to a ledge up high, just to be shot down. It made the mod hard and sometimes annoying, but it had its moments.

I got an idea: make the crawlas move backwards, like the crawla commander, with the turret-like noses. Exemple: Sonic is about to jump a crawla but then, that crawla moves backwards thanks to the nose.
Also, the blue crawla will move backwards as same as it's speed, it could be also the same with the red crawla.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back