Super SRB2 Kart Z =NOT EXACTLY CANCELED=

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the next release I redid the shell sprites themselves in a way, improved the triple shell icons, and made the feather not look absolutely terrible (as well as some more effects). I hope the new shell effect will be received well or be shunned for nostalgia picking.

EDIT:
Also, spoilers that won't come this release, but in the possible future.
srb20017.png

(Mockup) The final kart, based off of Super Circuit's design.

Last edited:
Red shells are too slow and shields are borked. Don't tell us, we already know.

Is there any need to update so much? I mean really, it gets kinda annoying to have to update the files every few days or so, at this rate my laptop's gonna have no disc space left due to it being full of SRB2Kart .rar files so can you PLEASE slow it down a little or at least make older versions able to join newer version netgames.

EDIT: It's more about the slowness of downloading the rars due to the size of them really, I have a good internet connection but it's still slow for some reason.

EDIT2: Another Update!? You Released one just Yesterday, TEST THE DANG THING BEFORE YOU RELEASE IT! If Waluigi's sprites don't closer match SRB2's style this time I am going to be SO annoyed.

EDIT3: *facepalm* Waluigi's sprites still suck.

EDIT4: Finally an update that isn't just a patch, I just want some major updates rather than patches, I mean really, patched twice to fix one bug? Fix your bugs first time instead of needing to fix twice.

Last edited:
Zarro, the link's broken. I tried to download this and I went to a page that said;

"Invalid or deleted file."

Please fix the link so I can download this.

Is there any need to update so much? I mean really, it gets kinda annoying to have to update the files every few days or so, at this rate my laptop's gonna have no disc space left due to it being full of SRB2Kart .rar files so can you PLEASE slow it down a little or at least make older versions able to join newer version netgames.
Making it so older versions can join newer servers is impossible. Just delete your old .RARs when an update comes out.

That release still had the broken red shells, so I think he's updating it now.

I really don't think the styles clash at all. I followed all of SRB2's sprite logic when making it. Unless you're referring to the design? If so, remember that we just stuffed the entire Sonic the Hedgehog cast in a Mario Kart clone.

I don't think it quite clashes either. Something does look odd though...maybe I'm just too used to the old kart and need time to get used to the pretty one. =p

I really don't think the styles clash at all. I followed all of SRB2's sprite logic when making it. Unless you're referring to the design? If so, remember that we just stuffed the entire Sonic the Hedgehog cast in a Mario Kart clone.

It's missing the dark, almost black defining lines that knuckles has in between his dreads (quills?) and outlining his body. Your kart sprite is very smooth in comparison.

Knuckles looks very cartoon-ish, while your kart seems more realistic.

Here's my two cents on the matter.

The main problem, even with Vanilla SRB2, is that the game employs multiple spriting styles. Some are hand-drawn (and thus are asymmetrical and have graphical artefacts) while some are drawn pixel-by-pixel (so they're a lot cleaner). Some are anti-aliased, some aren't. Some have cartoony outlines, some don't, and some are 3D-ish. That's why it's hard to make custom sprites that fit SRB2's style. There IS no SRB2 style, so what exactly IS "SRB2 sprite logic" when it's not something clearly defined?

And that's why it is especially noticeable when you're putting existing characters inside of a kart. Some look better than others when you do it. Sonic and Tails don't really match the existing kart sprite, but other characters look great. It's also why Rosy.kart looked kind of odd.

There's no simple solution to it really, because if you make a kart to cater to Sonic and Tails, then the much-cleaner custom characters will look strange in it, and vice-versa. I liked where the other new kart was going, with the slightly redesigned sprites on Sonic (What ever happened to that anyway?)

Honestly, I really like the new kart, but you're all right, the smooth shading and edges clash with Knuckles' more jagged look. It might look better with a different character behind the wheel though. I think maybe make the shading a little harder and more anime-like.

But to be honest, I'm not really a fan of the pipe-frame. Even though I grew up with it in Super/64/GBA, I much prefer the standard kart in Mario Kart DS/7.

Last edited:
So I noticed you add a certain... something to the game.

The black shells based off the exploding koopas in Super Mario Land.

So here's the question. Why are they not called Bombshells?

So fireballs bounce off spinning shells, and in White Forest, it's sometimes impossible to clear that first set of springs without a mushroom (I think it's the first).

AND I MUST KNOW WHAT THE "SECRET OTHER STUFF" IS
I MUST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back