SRB2 On Gamejolt, Legit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Version: 1.0.0"? That's definitely not right (possibly unless it's a really old version). And it uses the 2.0 single player trailer and a 2.1 screenshot, so it's not old. "Status: Complete"? That's definitely not right either.
"Customization: SRB2 includes the ability to create your own levels, characters, game modes, and with knowledge of programming, even a whole new game."? While you can do that stuff, that's not part of Sonic Robo Blast 2 itself like the description implies. Definitely not "legit".

No, that is not supposed to be there. That account is not owned by anyone on Sonic Team Jr. If there are advertisements on that page, someone is generating revenue off of SRB2, which we do not allow.

That said, I do have a slightly more "official" SRB2 page from 2013 on GameJolt, unpublished, because I was at one point experimenting with using its available free cloud storage space as an alternative Master Server we wouldn't have to host ourselves...

Here, I fixed it up. http://gamejolt.com/games/sonic-robo-blast-2/17913 New official Sonic Robo Blast 2 GameJolt page, I guess. Now nobody needs to put up a terrible one.

Last edited:
No, that is not supposed to be there. That account is not owned by anyone on Sonic Team Jr. If there are advertisements on that page, someone is generating revenue off of SRB2, which we do not allow.

That said, I do have a slightly more "official" SRB2 page from 2013 on GameJolt, unpublished, because I was at one point experimenting with using its available free cloud storage space as an alternative Master Server we wouldn't have to host ourselves...
I wonder how you would be able to run a Master Server using GameJolt. GameJolt sounds like a cool website.

Yeah. GameJolt supports free* indie games by providing them with limited cloud storage space, an achievements system, and high score boards, to be used in any way the game developer pleases.
*Generally ad-supported and monetized exclusively by GameJolt itself. Last I checked, they even have TOS rules disallowing you from coming up with your own monetizing system outside of their page ads.

The cloud storage space could be used to hold publicly available custom levels for some games, private user save data for other games, and could almost certainly hold some useful information like server listings for SRB2.

I personally learned about it through a Minecraft-style fangame named "Pokémon3D" (as generic as that sounds), which uses GameJolt's cloud storage for all the standard online services you'd find in Pokémon games; Global trade station, wondertrade, and GameJolt achievements for beating gym leaders, all done through shared storage space without an active game server backing it. Nifty stuff!

Last edited:
Note that in general, the only verifiable source for downloading SRB2 is the Downloads page on srb2.org, and any mirrors that may appear on there. Other sources are run unofficially by others, and any chance (however small) of getting something nasty from one of them isn't something we can do anything about. They also tend to get hideously out-of-date.

I think it's nice to advertise SRB2 on such common sites, that would bring More fans to the game .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back