Where can I find a guide?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Misc

Thanks for the nice comments - you made my day!

One of the things I love most is watching my kids get excited about things I loved as a kid, and then find them beat my pants off at those games when they get good at it. : )

As an add'l FYI - once my kids are in bed I play Battlefield 2 on East Coast Gaming servers mostly - so if any of you play that and see nomadprime in your crosshairs - say nice things after you shoot.... : )

By the way, my kids keep asking me - is the mario level in SRB2 available on a special day of the year even if you haven't beaten the game (sort of like how the Xmas effects kick in on Dec 25th)? They swear to me they have seen it before and then it "went away", but they know they haven't beaten the game and collected all the Chaos emeralds.

Thx for your help!

If you're using 1.08, I noticed that even if you beat it all the way through, the save get's deleted. Don't know why, it just did :\
Anyways, this doesn't happen in 1.09. Mario levels last as long as you don't delete the save.

Nope, the only two date-activated things are the Xmas things, and the easter egg hunt in April.

Actually, a long, long time ago, Mario used to be activated by playing the game on New Year's Day. That has long since been changed, but if they have been playing SRB2 for several years, then yes, they are indeed right.

Heh, I remember when you used -mario to access that 24/7... I always had a tendency to mix -mario and -xmas, for a Mario level with snow. Then I'd load Aerial Garden Zone for no reason in particular (remember the time when AGZ1 was BOTH acts, not just the one? I do). Heck, I remember when -xmas gave you Christmas Hunt, but with Santa in a barrel, rings that were Pac-Man dots, ringslinger that activated once you freed Santa, MMX music...

Actually, that reminds me an awful lot of those old match stages I don't think anyone really remembers anymore... like that one volcano zone, or that stage with the four temples in the corner, some small paths in the middle, and a LOT of bottomless pits around. In fact, I think the only stage from that set that is still around is Zero Ring Zone...

Or hey, remember the special stages in Demo 4? You think 1.09's are hard, then you should give THOSE a spin; they're freakin' impossible. I wonder if a port could be done, just to prove a point...

No, this post does not particularly serve any point, other than nostalgia. But nostalgia's cool, so no worries, right? Right?

I remember Demo 4's special stages. Me and my cuz took turns trying to get all the rings. We were stuck in the level with low ground and with water everywhere.

Ah - it all becomes clear

We have a bunch of the old versions archived on various systems around the house, so that must be why they remembered the date specific mario activation.

Thanks for the help!

Actually, most of the dirt-old stages are still around in some form or another, but many haven't been used in a while

Demo 3 was the first version to have match stages in it normally.

MAP05 was Meadow Match
MAP06 was Tag Valley
MAP07 was Techno Isle
MAP08 was really bad and never seen again
MAP09 was Zero Ring

Meadow Match and Zero Ring are still in SRB2 1.09, Tag Valley and Techno Isle were in the Chaos rotation back in 1.08.

Demo 4 included many stages made by me, and many of them sucked, to be blunt. Orange Crater, the lava stage you mention, was made before there was really any way to shoot across the map, and Air Haven, the AGZ-themed stage, was impossible to stay alive in.

Demo 4 did introduce Airborne Temple, though, another map we still have today.

Mystic said:
MAP08 was really bad and never seen again

SONIC HAS PASSED
REALLY BAD AND
NEVER SEEN AGAIN ZONE 1

Nomadprime, could you look at the History page on the website and see if you happen to have any versions we're missing?

Most notably:

SRB2XM94.EXE
and
SRB2XMAS.EXE

Actually, that reminds me of another -xmas bonus... you'd get an extra Match stage that, IMO, was far superior to what it replaced. It was a bit flat, though, but the giant icy lake in the middle made up for that.

Yeah, I wonder how it'd be if people took the old stages (including Really Bad And Never Seen Again Zone) and updated them to make use of all the special rings and everything.

Old versions

I'll be happy to check to see what versions I have at home. Since I know that most of them may be just the installed version (not packed in the installer) - what would be the quickest way to spot from the exe what versions I have? Are there specific creation dates on them you're looking for?

Hmm, I think December 1999, and April 2000, for SRB2XMAS 0.90 and 0.94, respectively.

, or that stage with the four temples in the corner, some small paths in the middle, and a LOT of bottomless pits around
You mean that really old level that was a space level and then it turned into a sky level and then it was removed? I liked that one. :P

Shuffle said:
, or that stage with the four temples in the corner, some small paths in the middle, and a LOT of bottomless pits around
You mean that really old level that was a space level and then it turned into a sky level and then it was removed? I liked that one. :P
Is it Air Haven?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back