Getting Started in Character WAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrayAngel

Recently, I've been reading wiki's to learn how to create characters for SRB2. I've downloaded the latest version of XWE, and I decided I would practice first by editing an already existing character (Knuckles).

However, I seem to have run into a bit of a snag. I don't know what the problem is. Everything I do seems to result in an error and corruption of the file.

Specifically, some things I've tried doing include:

1. Renaming Knuckles' S_Skin2 lump to S_Skin1 (assuming the difference could possibly fix some problems).
  2. Changing Knuckles' ability to 4 (Super Sonic Float)
  3. Increasing Knuckles' normal speed by 1.
  4. Increasing Knuckles' jump to 100.
  5. Giving Knuckles an OBJCTCFG lump in order to change his description and make him appear in slot 4 in the character selection screen.
  6. Copying the lumps of Knuckle.plr into a new WAD, and then editing.
Typically what happens is a pop up window will appear saying, "The currently open file was modified by an external program. To avoid file corruption, you should then close and reopen this file." After that, all of the lumps (especially the picture lumps) are all screwed up.

I have Windows Vista, and I've done what the Wiki's tell me to do with Vista.

Also, I don't understand how one adds a picture lump to a WAD file. I've tried some creative ways to copy and paste it, but I couldn't figure it out.

This problem came up when I realized that the picture used in the character selection screen for Knuckles doesn't seem to exist in his PLR file. I found it under the manual folder as a PNG image, but I don't know what to do with it.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but I honestly don't have a clue what it is.

Don't edit one of the three official characters, that leads to lots of problems. Download a custom one to practice with. Also, you can import a picture lump by saving it in its own file and then importing it with the "Import" tool.

Thanks. I'll give that a try sometime. I'm not entirely sure what kind of character I could make. Sprite-making just isn't my forte. Still, maybe I can figure something out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back