Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I saw the pop-up, I thought this was a kind of virus wanting me to download something that is good for the health of my computer.
So apparently, it's true?
I don't really know much about Win10, I mean, will SRB2 still be handled without issues whatever?

I don't know about anyone else, but I think that a legitimate free upgrade that gives a lot of people the vibe that it's a virus without prior knowledge is a bit of a problem.

Well, if you've really been living in a cave for the past few months and don't know about Windows 10, you can still google the thing and get your answer in two seconds before jumping to conclusions, don't you think?

Well, if you've really been living in a cave for the past few months and don't know about Windows 10

No one I've talked to in the past few months has even mentioned Windows 10, online or offline.

And who said we're jumping to conclusions?

No one at all? ...that surprises me quite a lot. Guess it's a spacious cave.

And who said we're jumping to conclusions?

I was talking about what TehRealSalt mentioned, just saying that it's not really "a bit of a problem" if people actually check before taking antivirus measures.

Of course, since your thread starts with a link to the Wiki page, I'd figured that at least you did indeed check...

Last edited:
Coming from the girl who updated her level release just because Internet Explorer is getting a rebranding (never mind the fact the emblems were based on Microsoft products in the first place) this should be unsusprising, but I am extremely excited you lot just don't even know.

I don't know why. I just get this way about this kind of stuff.

Windows 8 is working pretty well on my ASUS Notebook, if not me finding it the best performing release of Windows since XP. (Not a popular opinion, I know.) Otherwise I'd have wiped it for Ubuntu already. I'm taking a "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." stance there.

As cool as Windows 10 is going to be, it's basically the same thing I'm using right now, just with "legacy" features returning to meet Win7 and Win8 users halfway; they gotta herd the power users away from Windows 7 and a dangerously old Windows XP somehow. Not to mention competing with features Linux has enjoyed for decades, like virtual desktops. (C'mon Microsoft, you've played with that before, as far back as Windows XP, as an optional install package! What was the holdup there?)

I'd prefer it on a desktop computer when I build one for Kubuntu. Since I have an OEM key of Windows 8, which are permanently tied to whichever PC you install it to and can never be transferred, I might as well forget taking advantage of this "free" deal. It's only free if you actually bothered forking over $90 for a physical copy of Win8, don't wait over a year to get your "free" copy, or are comfortable with with the risk of upgrading to Win10 potentially botching itself and bricking your OS.

tl;dr, I've been through enough headaches quad-booting OSes with two editions of Windows and Ubuntu before to not want to fool with Windows 10 right now. I'll quietly enjoy screenshots of it, and hope to high heavens it's at a reasonable price when I build a high-end PC for Linux.

I've just tried Windows 10's Technical Preview, it was'nt so much good, but, good.
The theme was worst, like an MS-PAINT's criss-cross.
And after all, everything was good except the theme.

When I saw the pop-up, I thought this was a kind of virus wanting me to download something that is good for the health of my computer.
So apparently, it's true?
I don't really know much about Win10, I mean, will SRB2 still be handled without issues whatever?

Yup, SRB2 was still workin' on Windows 10, that's really good for me =).

I've been through enough headaches quad-booting OSes with two editions of Windows and Ubuntu before to not want to fool with Windows 10 right now. I'll quietly enjoy screenshots of it, and hope to high heavens it's at a reasonable price when I build a high-end PC for Linux.
Well, just booting with OSes is much easier than you can imagine! You just have to install 2 OSes ex- Windows 8 and Ubuntu.
And then use msconfig to choose your favourite OS as default and then restart and it will show the names the 2 OSes you've installed select anyone and you are done! (You have to do this everytime you boot.)

On my last desktop computer, I had a successful multi-boot setup with Windows XP, Vista, Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron, Ubuntu 9.10, TinyMe, and heck, even had a Fedora install before wiping it to try PCLinux2007, then Linux Mint. (Which I also later wiped because it seemed like a boring appeal to Windows users.) I would have tried OSX86 too, if I didn't run out of room on my 128GB Seagate HDD for more virtual partitions big enough to hold an OS. I already had six OSes to play with anyway!

And let me tell you, it was not easy to pull off. GRUB still couldn't load Vista installs at the time, so I had to piggyback every OS on Vista's boot loader with EasyBCD to edit the BL, make sure every OS had its own boot loader installed to Root, (Otherwise it'd wipe Vista's on the boot sector, and I'd be back to square one.) and it still wasn't THAT easy, contrary to its name. My partition table was a mess.

I don't imagine Microoft has made multi-booting less of a headache for the end user, now that you have to put up with SecureBoot and all that. It's like they regularly inhibit your freedom of choice with backwards design choices under the hood, knowing full well you're going to multi-boot whether they like their diminishing presence on the desktop or not.

That's why I want to build a PC for Linux, maybe dual-boot it with Windows 10 if I don't get mad at SecureBoot first, or buy a mid-end Windows 8 PC for running games that don't get Linux ports. So when I said headaches, I really meant it. It was load of convoluted bullocks and flaming hoops I don't want to go through again.

Vista was always the worst. While its Longhorn builds were'nt...
Anyway, don't you think you have too many OSes ? Anyways... All depends on your hard disk and ram...

Coming from the girl who updated her level release just because Internet Explorer is getting a rebranding (never mind the fact the emblems were based on Microsoft products in the first place) this should be unsusprising, but I am extremely excited you lot just don't even know.

You should probably lower your expectations, even though we have a preview. We never know if Win10 becomes a good OS or something we should burn and never talk about ever again.
I'm waiting until the end of this year or even up to next year's Spring before updating. Devs can update their apps in time and I can avoid some compatibilty issues.

Still, it's going to be a roller coaster (for me at least) because of this, Android M and upcoming games/DLC.

Vista was always the worst. While its Longhorn builds were'nt...
Anyway, don't you think you have too many OSes ? Anyways... All depends on your hard disk and ram...

Emphasis on *last* desktop PC, I'd have lost my mind doing that kind of setup on a laptop. =P I don't need to do it anymore either, since all the apps I used still run on Windows 8, and Linux has better software than it did in 2008, so I only need one version of Ubuntu now, with a very mild dependency on WINE. (Which has also matured since then.) It's much better needing two OSes than four, with two others for toying around in.

Still, even dual-booting is a real pain in the neck, I loathe it. After my parents pretty much lost my desktop PC I'd rather have a switch between two seperate SATA HDDs. Much less complicated to install OSes on different hard drives of their own altogether.

Emphasis on *last* desktop PC, I'd have lost my mind doing that kind of setup on a laptop. =P I don't need to do it anymore either, since all the apps I used still run on Windows 8, and Linux has better software than it did in 2008, so I only need one version of Ubuntu now, with a very mild dependency on WINE. (Which has also matured since then.) It's much better needing two OSes than four, with two others for toying around in.

Still, even dual-booting is a real pain in the neck, I loathe it. After my parents pretty much lost my desktop PC I'd rather have a switch between two seperate SATA HDDs. Much less complicated to install OSes on different hard drives of their own altogether.

Looks like your computer's OSes disks are not working well...

---------- Post added at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 PM ----------

I don't know why. I just get this way about this kind of stuff.

I hope Internet Explorer's new branding (Project Spartan) will much better and runs mb.srb2.org more smoothly...

I am actually quite thrilled about it.

Since it's the "Last" version, there's some hope on never again having to face backwards compatibilit issues for programs developed for it in the years to come.

I'll wait some months after it's out before upgrading; make sure it's not a glitchfest or another tablet OS like 8 was.

I wonder if cortana will have bugs? Also. The bad thing about cortana, she can't talk to kids under age 13. Also. I'll post soon my review about Windows 10, when the upgrade will be available.

My cousin uses Windows 10, he feels uncomfortable, as i do. I mean, its hard to use if you are used to XP-7, its pretty buggy, but it has a good charm to it, its well optimized. I recommend it if you learn quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back