• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Metreck Level Pack! (scr_Metpack.wad)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rocky Grasslands Zone - Nothing reallly that challenging or noteworthy. The level design was good, but it wasn't great by any means. The 2D part was short, unchallenging, and probably not necessary. Your grass textures look more like green vomit, and the black rock textures are also ugly. The level music was catchy at first, but it soon turned annoying.

Rocky Grasslands Boss - The arena is too large and awkward to navigate. Eliminate the pool surrounding that big peak. The Robo-Hoods shot and eventually defeated Eggman on their own, and since Eggman was constantly trying to ram the Robo-Hoods, he was at a height where I couldn't hit him. Your other enemies were simply nuisances. I can't remember any time that I've played a good boss battle with other enemies in it. Your Egg Capsules need to be completely concealed.

Lobby Zone - A stage select, eh? Well, it was implented nicely, I'll give you that. It's music was ear-bleeding, though. Pick a more relaxing, lounge-type theme, or maybe some soft electronica, like the track used for the entrance area to SA2's Chao Gardens.

Dusty Cliff Zone - Absolute rubbish. I appreciate you trying to make a stage that works around Knuckles's moveset, but it was all climbing, climbing, and more climbing. The entire zone was basically a death trap, because if I got hit by an enemy even once, I was usually sent spiraling down into a bottomless pit. The forced wind about midway through was a retarded idea, especially considering that you spring into that area and are usually carried away into a bottomless pit. There's invisible walls all over the place, adding to the sheer frustration. And the end-level sign was located in the most arbitrary and senseless place. And, of course, you had to climb even more to reach it. The music wasn't that great, either.

Dusty Cliff Boss - Very glitchy. For some reason, I was knocked back every so often (along with all the rings immediately surrounding me), and I was randomly given an Attraction Shield. The actual boss was pretty interesting, although it's possible to trap Eggman against an invisible wall. The Egg Capsule should emerge in the same area that the player defeats the boss.

Crystal Cross Zone - I hate this zone with every bone in my body. The requirement to gather 70 rings in the first area makes me want to drown a sack of kittens in a river. The rest of the zone consists of boring, slow-paced platforming (with another unnecessary 2D area). The fact that everything is transparent is more confusing than cool. The music is gets on my nerves.

Crystal Cross Boss - "DIRECTIONS: 1. Get rings. 2. Fly up underneath a stationary Eggman. 3. Get hit by unavoidable projectile. Repeat until boss is defeated or until crust is a golden-brown in color." Boring and tedious.

Wintery Pass Zone - Okay, the level design in this stage is worlds better than that of Dusty Cliff Zone or Crystal Cross Zone. What makes less sense are the gimmicks you use. The icy pond near the beginning was appropriate for the environment, but the formations of spike balls and the zoom tube felt as if they were just thrown in there. I also dislike having to find hidden springs in piled-up snow (which was ridiculously exaggerated in places). And then there were more than a few dead ends. Overall, this level wasn't too bad, but it sure wasn't that great either.

Wintery Pass Boss - These GFZ Boss variants are starting to tick me off. This isn't v1.09.4 anymore! And then your decision to slowly flood the arena with slime until only 2% of it is safe is a bad idea. I was given no indication this was going to happen and the slime caught me completely off guard. Having to head back under the slime to pop the capsule is a slap in the face.

Ruin of Magma Zone - Okay, please make a level pack either consist of normal one player stages or emerald hunts. Or better, don't make emerald hunts at all, because that stupid "two-emeralds only" glitch struck again and again when I loaded this stage up. Now, as for the stage itself, you think a long, narrow stage is good for an emerald hunt? Was Christmas Hunt Zone like that?? Where any of the collecting stages in SA and SA2 like that?!? No!! They were wide open spaces, with all points easily accessible from all other points!! Your stage is nothing like that!!! It makes passing up emeralds all too easy, and actually finding the emeralds a little too easy. The zoom tube into and out of the lava-filled room was hard to use. Don't make them necessary if there's an easier way to get into an area. And again, you had an unnecessary 2D area. Now that all of the negative stuff is out of the way, let me tell you that I think you structured this area around Knux's moveset very nicely, worlds better then you did with Dusty Cliff Zone. The indented wall, the lava-filled hallway where you have to glide in and out, and the area filled with lava falls and fireballs were all nicely done. Good job on those areas.

Ruin of Magma Boss - Luring Eggman out of his foxhole sure was tedious, but once I did, the rest of the fight was easy, because he glitched up and couldn't move or shoot.

Lightspeed Zone - As fast-paced as this zone was intended to be, I sure found it to be slow. Everytime I got ricocheted around, I had to gather my bearings and make sure I wasn't headed into any thing that would kill me. The enemies were constantly tearing me to shreads, further slowing me down. And I passed that big stupid crusher only with pure dumb luck. But the bigger problem is the speed panels, both here and in other levels of your level pack. Listen to me: Sonic gameplay (especially in SRB2) is not all about overwhelming speed. The best moments in Sonic games are from creative platforming, not when you watch Sonic dash around without any input. This is a big reason why most of the franchise's recent titles suck. Also, your stage had yet another unnecessary 2D segment.

Lightspeed Boss - Frankly, I've endured through your entire level pack, so I think I deserve not to stomach this mess of a boss.

In conclusion, this level pack swinged between the extremes of tolerable to hardly playable. It was generally an unpleasant experience.

I hope that helps! :3 Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got some kittens to stuff in a burlap sack.

Last edited:
PLEASE do not use emerald hunts. D:

2.0 ruined the already boring emerald hunt mode because of a glitch that only shows 2 of the emeralds sometimes, forcing me to kill myself to reset the map and HOPEFULLY stop the glitch.

Crystal Cross and Dusty Cliff were too vertically confusing. I got lost in DCZ and Crystal Cross was somewhat annoying with all the flying I had to do.

Also, the transition from 2d to 3d in Crystal Cross killed me about 6 times. Please dont make more confusing transitions like this, and fix the one I mentioned.

On the bright side, Sea Port (If I remember the name correctly) had a surprising twist and a great Metal Sonic fight. I think for this one you should have water rising very slowly while you escape the sinking ship. Keep up the good work, and PLEASE try making some of the maps less confusing.

2.0 ruined the already boring emerald hunt mode because of a glitch that only shows 2 of the emeralds sometimes, forcing me to kill myself to reset the map and HOPEFULLY stop the glitch.

srb20089.png

Yes as you can see in the screenshot, but I fix'd it by setting all of the emerald spawn point thing item's tags and stuff to 0.

And there ya go. Try that, Metreck.

Lightspeed Zone - As fast-paced as this zone was intended to be, I sure found it to be slow. Everytime I got ricocheted around, I had to gather my bearings and make sure I wasn't headed into any thing that would kill me. The enemies were constantly tearing me to shreads, further slowing me down. And I passed that big stupid crusher only with pure dumb luck. But the bigger problem is the speed panels, both here and in other levels of your level pack. Listen to me: Sonic gameplay (especially in SRB2) is not all about overwhelming speed. The best moments in Sonic games are from creative platforming, not when you watch Sonic dash around without any input. This is a big reason why most of the franchise's recent titles suck. Also, your stage had yet another unnecessary 2D segment.

For those speed panels, did you spindash into 'em? That makes it so much easier, for all the parts above.

Anyway, I like this pack, especially the Metal Sonic boss.
Nice platforming on the first level, but CCZ sucked, period.
LSZ I liked alot, it was very fast, but you still didn't finish it in 3 seconds, so nice job on that part.
However, find a way to hold those emmys in the lobby, cause I can just thok into the boxes and grab 'em.

For those speed panels, did you spindash into 'em? That makes it so much easier, for all the parts above.

My main gripe isn't the enemies, but the fact that dash panels make up the entire zone. Tell me, what's more fun: Watching Sonic speed around essentially by himself, or platforming where the player is in full control? If you prefer the former, go watch the one of the Sonic the Hedgehog animations. Sonic Robo Blast 2 obviously isn't for you.

My main gripe isn't the enemies, but the fact that dash panels make up the entire zone. Tell me, what's more fun: Watching Sonic speed around essentially by himself, or platforming where the player is in full control? If you prefer the former, go watch the one of the Sonic the Hedgehog animations. Sonic Robo Blast 2 obviously isn't for you.

I do like SRB2 and I'm glad that not every level is not like LSZ, but what is wrong with having just 1 level that is around speed? I personally like having different types of levels in a level pack, not just centered around one main concept.

I do like SRB2 and I'm glad that not every level is not like LSZ, but what is wrong with having just 1 level that is around speed? I personally like having different types of levels in a level pack, not just centered around one main concept.

I agree with you that one type of gameplay would be boring, and that it's possible to have a speed-based level in SRB2. But I would argue that Metreck is approaching it all wrong. If you look in the official levels, there are plenty of ways to encourage high-speed gameplay...

...Wide, open spaces with minimal platforming (GFZ, THZ1, Rocky Grasslands Zone)
...Conveyor belts (THZ2, ERZ1)
...The threat of drowning (DSZ)
...Collasping platforms (ACZ, RVZ)
...The threat of suffocation (ERZ)
...And assorted others...

The problem with dash panels is that the player has minimal control over it: If you step on it, you're gonna blast ahead at neckbreak speed, without any sort of alternative or variable available for the player. Thus, the speed achieved from dash panels isn't authenic. Even with collasping platforms, the player has more input: You can jump off of it to safety, or remain on it for a while and then jump off, or ride it down all the way.

Last edited:
Well, I get your point in saying Interactive arts is just that, but I guess how interactive and how often is where we disagree. Anyway I would say that maybe Metreck should make a alternative path with the emerald? Since I would say that would be worth the extra input.

You know, even though I might not play this pack myself, I was thinking that, seeing as the Lobby Zone is getting good reviews, you might be able to help me out with somthing that I'm planning to do.

But, I'm going to d-load it, and view it through SRB2 Doom Builder. Then, I'll get back to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back