• Do not use Works in Progress as a way of avoiding the releases system! Works in Progress can be used for sharing early betas and for getting suggestions for improvement. Releases of finished content are not allowed in this forum! If you would like to submit a finished addon, click here for instructions on how to do so.

Project SAAS (IMAGE HEAVY TOPIC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jellybones said:
Could you make the file name simpler? I can't memorize, and thus, still haven't tried this yet. :p

...It's s_projectSAASdemo1.wad. How is that complicated?

Also, what's so complicated about using the launcher, if you cant be bothered to put "addfile s_projectSAASdemo1.wad" or something? No offence, but it's not THAT difficult.

also, couldn't you just rename it yourself?

But whatever, I'll just make it s_psaasdemo#.wad for later updates I suppose.

D00D64 said:
Also, what's so complicated about using the launcher, if you cant be bothered to put "addfile s_projectSAASdemo1.wad" or something? No offence, but it's not THAT difficult.

There's a launcher for v.2.0?

Same as the old one, and works just as fine. Just move it into the file with SRB2 2.0 in it.

Wow! This is very impressive! I like how you made it so the player has to bounce on the jettysyns to get across. And the Emerald(s) are a challenge to get (but worth it, woot x3)! I look forward to seeing more and to your next release!

HEY GUYS WHO WANTS PROOOOOOOOOOGREEEEEEEEEEEEEES

ARTECHNIC:

The visuals arn't really even started yet (Visuals, as in, the background visuals), but most of the level itself is about 45% done.

srb20062.png

The mountains and such now have a bit of snow on them, because the snowfall isn't as flat as a pancake here.
I'd make it slow you down as well, but I don't want to sacrifice playability here with unnecessary details.

srb20063.png

This is a VERY Blue focused stage. Blue stuff all around. (Insert I'm Blue lyrics here)

srb20064.png

This is inside the alternate path. This pipe contains a few enemies, but nothing too hot (Er, cold?) to handle.
But be warned: It's a water pipe, and there are no bubbles, AND there's a current, So be careful in there.

srb20067.png

WE ALL LIVE ON A BLUE SUBMARINE
A BLUE SUBMARINE
A BLUE SUBMARINE

srb20070.png

Both paths in the beginning lead here, but one path will change things in this room... It'll make things harder, but a nice reward becomes available too...

srb20068.png

The end sign is just there due to the lack of a boss. I plan to have a custom boss here Via SOC editing (A simple boss, but I have no idea how to do SOC edits...Yet.)
A boss room warp will be here in it's place when it's done.

srb20069.png

here you can (Kinda) see both paths. One path is empty aside from this platform though, and I won't be working on this stage for a bit. Why? Because...

FOREST OF THE STARS:

srb20071.png

...I came up with inspiration for THIS. Forest of the Stars takes place in a special space environment with a barrier to hold air and protect you from Space pressure.
But there are some holes in the environment here and there, so you better rush to safety if you must cross one (and you will)!

srb20072.png

What you are seeing now is the Summer area. All the areas will be different seasons, with Summer being first, and going through Fall and Winter to get to Spring.
Also, there are some water blocks that actually lift you up with a VERY strong current! Use these to get around some areas.

srb20073.png

Now, if you look here...

srb20074.png

...and here, You'll see some fall areas in the back, but it's inaccessible right now. Why? Because the fall part was actually built FIRST, but I decided to make it ALL of the seasons instead of just fall as intended. Also, the wood walls might not be in the final release. why? Because they kinda blend with he trees a bit. Don't you think so? Or should I keep them? I kinda like them too, but I'm torn, really.

As soon as another level is in a full, completable state, I'll post a demo. But for now, does it look like I'm doing okay? Comments + Critique plz.

There's too much deathpit for how few starposts there are.

Also, everything here feels very been-there-done-that. There isn't anything truly unique here yet.

I made myself a promise never to play SRB2 in 2D ever ever again... and now Forest of the Stars shows up and suddenly I can't wait to give it a shot. Damn you. DAMN YOU TO HELL D=<

Yeah, FotS has pretty much sold me on this if simply for how bloody gorgeous it looks, and the BLUE level doesn't look all that bad either. Eh, I'll wait and see how this turns out.

Last edited:
I made myself a promise never to play SRB2 in 2D ever ever again... and now Forest of the Stars shows up and suddenly I can't wait to give it a shot. Damn you. DAMN YOU TO HELL D=<

Yeah, FotS has pretty much sold me on this if simply for how bloody gorgeous it looks, and the BLUE level doesn't look all that bad either. Eh, I'll wait and see how this turns out.

I agree. Forest of the Stars looks pretty tight. I already gave this mod a try and I do think that there are too many deathpits in the first level, proportional to the amount of starposts (or lack thereof). I'll still be waiting for the next update, though.

Personally I found the enemy bouncing annoying at best due to the fact if you screw up you die, a challenge like that shouldn't be in the first level.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

how bout sum forest of the stars progress

srb20015.png

After obtaining JTE's permission, I have used SPMoves' Fall textures in the level pack for the fall section. Because nothing says Autumn like Graham Cracker walls :3. However, I realized the grass in SPMoves' Fall mode sucked without the falling leaves, so I turned it into regular grass. Also, THIS SCREENSHOT SUCKS IN RETROSPECT GODDAMNIT WHY CANT I TAKE DECENT PHOTOS ;-;

srb20016.png

The Summer section was given a Dry Canyon-ish area. However, this is where a problem arises for me; tunes.

I made it so that songs change whenever you go to a new area (and back), BUT when you do change tunes, the game lags a bit. the songs used so far ALL come from the SRB1 section, so maybe it's the game trying to find the tunes due to the lack of finding an Ogg version, and using the Midi version? Is there any way to eliminate this lag? Because I don't want to use Tunes 13 like everyone else (and because tunes 14 is lame without the lead), and I can't find anything "summery" in the tunes, and I don't want to weigh down the was with 4 MORE added tunes.

srb20018.png

This is the winter section, with a VERY EARLY spring in the back. THE SPRING SECTION WILL NOT BE ONLY THAT. I plan to have a Fog Block covering it so the landmass acts more like a silhouette (as soon as I can get it to LOOK like fog, and not a colormap, which I have an idea to achieve), and ships from the Fall section to be in it. I plan to do something special with the spring section.

As for the Winter section, the water with different looking and opaque water hurts, but clear water will be Ok to be in.

srb20019.png

...Ah, yes, we can't forget the FOREST part of this, right? Well, I need to plant more trees in the summer section; so far, only fall has a good amount of trees, I feel. Speaking of forest scenery, I need to make freeslots for the Fall plants...

Once the tunes problem is resolved, I would suggest these tunes for the areas:

Spring: Tunes 17/97 (It's RMZ and it was given two tunes slots by mistake)
Summer: Tunes 88 or 89 (89 personal preference)
Autumn: Tunes 6
Winter: Tunes 140 obviously

I made it so that songs change whenever you go to a new area (and back), BUT when you do change tunes, the game lags a bit. the songs used so far ALL come from the SRB1 section, so maybe it's the game trying to find the tunes due to the lack of finding an Ogg version, and using the Midi version? Is there any way to eliminate this lag? Because I don't want to use Tunes 13 like everyone else (and because tunes 14 is lame without the lead), and I can't find anything "summery" in the tunes, and I don't want to weigh down the was with 4 MORE added tunes

It's the transition from OGG to MIDI (And vice versa) that's causing the lag. The only way to eliminate it is to add O_MAPxx lumps for the SRB1 levels. (A9 - AV) You're better off using other songs, or custom music.

It's the transition from OGG to MIDI (And vice versa) that's causing the lag. The only way to eliminate it is to add O_MAPxx lumps for the SRB1 levels. (A9 - AV) You're better off using other songs, or custom music.

Ah, just as I thought...

So, I don't WANT to cram the level with custom music, but SRB2's soundtrack is lacking for me, so I was considering these tunes;

Summer: 126, Mystic Cave 2P (Athenos Zone, Sonic the Hedgehog 2)
Summer (Canyon): Mt. Rugged (Paper Mario)
Fall: Quiet Forest (Kirby 64)
Winter: OLD Midnight Freeze/Icy Tundra (Mystic Realm, Sonic: Emerald Quest)
Spring (Egg Fleet V1.1): Konpaku Youmu's Stage (MegaMari)
Spring (Boss): Boss (MegaMari)
Spring (Shattered, section may not be included): 21 (Doomship Zone Act 2)
Spring: 29, Paternal Horn (Spring Hill Zone, NiGHTS Into Dreams)

I know, FIVE custom tracks... I better figure out Ogg compression...

Last edited:
I don't see where all the hype is coming from. The levels are pretty, but the platforming sections themselves look fairly bland.
Sector Effect 80 makes Linedef Executors activate when you touch Sector floors, which resolves the teleporter issue. The "All Players" one requires all players to be in that Sector at once for it to execute.

Last edited:
I don't see where all the hype is coming from.

Hype? What hype? I don't remember any hype.

The levels are pretty, but the platforming sections themselves look fairly bland.

Yeah, I was trying to aim for a more "natural" look (Even though super fast animals arn't that natural), but it ends up PLAYING a bit bland, I've noticed. While there isn't too much I can do in 2D mode, I'll try to think of some things to bring up the actual gameplay. I have a few ideas, but I really wish I could use those polyobjects...Stupid flats. I swear, if flats didn't bleed out to the top and bottom of the screen, thus leaving them unable to render them as an only option, I could at least use THOSE too, but there usefulness only goes so far currently...

Sector Effect 80 makes Linedef Executors activate when you touch Sector floors, which resolves the teleporter issue. The "All Players" one requires all players to be in that Sector at once for it to execute.

I figured out this stuff already, but thanks anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back