How long have you been on Srb2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I registered to this forum 8 years ago (2006), so I guess it's been 8 years. I found this game when I was google image searching Sonic 3D Blast and ending up finding a picture of Tails in what was most likely Midnight Freeze. I had never seen a 3D Sonic game like this before and immediately had to find out what it was. I then found SRB2 and almost immediately fell in love. I had fun in GFZ1, but it wasn't as amazing as I had hoped the game would be. The vastness and music in the beginning of GFZ2 was what first gripped me. Then I got to GFZ3 and discovered that the game even had bosses! That was the moment I was truly hooked.

Last edited:
Oh sweet Swiss cheese where do I even start? Okay so I remember at my local library they had these discs with software demo's and one of them had SRB2 on it. I can't remember which version but it was one where Zim was a character in the multi-player (1.08?). I never really played it all that much and it wouldn't be until 1.09.4 where I rediscover the game.

I really couldn't beat the game until much later after trying out the net play. Good god back then I was one of the RP type people who hated every moderator and/or admin and had ridiculous amounts of RP maps. Heck I think even one of the admin's caught me one time in a map based off SA1. But after a while I just messed around modifying the game with wads, MD2s and modified versions.

After a while I left again and when 2.0 was announced, I decided to pick up the game again. It was a joy going through all the new layouts of some levels and the new one. I still messed around with mods for the game although to a lesser extent than 1.09. I dunno the mods started to get less wacky or something.

After that I dropped it YET AGAIN until the current version came out and now the rest is history in the making.

This leaves me to wonder if Logan_GBA and some others are still on here.

I found this game cause my older brother showed it to me. I was about 8 or 9 years old back then. I discovered online play sooner after a month of discovering the game from this video some one posted of them playing in a co-op server and I was just like THIS IS THE GREATEST THING EVER!

I then left the community for about 4 or 5 years and joined back in mid 2012.

And well here I am with my 18 year old self.

Lord in heaven, while this may be my first post under this version of this account, I'm ancient compared to the lot of you.

I first discovered SRB2 in early 1998, back when the 2D version was first released as a demo, a mere few months after I had played through the ever so buggy TGF release of SRB1. I remember the early website. AJ Freda's network, the super early screencaps, and the utter excitement of the SRB2 Halloween and Christmas releases. I later won a SRB2 Christmas soundtrack and Christmas CD from AJ by hitting view 1000 on this website.

2 years later, I actually personally met with AJ after inviting him and his friend MachHedgehog to visit my abode in the midwest. I became a part time dev member and tester for a time as well. 1 year after that (around the SRB2k3 period), I also managed to visit those two again in their home, as well as meet Mystic in person. Way back in the very early online match days, I used my broadband connection to host a number of early online multiplayer matches. Mystic and I would often fiercely battle one another, with him usually (but not always) emerging triumphant. He played Sonic, I played Knuckles.

Those were good times, good times.

And yet, 16 years after the humble beginnings of this project...

It's still ongoing. Truly amazing, I must say. I guess some things never quite die.

One day, we'll play through every intended zone. One day...

Damn, dude. I didn't think you'd be that ancient but then you went ahead and said 1998. Not even because of the year, but because that's pretty much when SRB2 started.

You know one thing I always is wonder is about so many of these old devs and players that knew about SRB2 back in the super early days, and if they know about it now and how far it's come along and what they'd think. I have no part in the development of this game, but it's a great feeling to hear someone from those times come back and say how amazing it is that's alive.

Also, it's just really interesting to hear about the olden' days of SRB2. It has an intriguing development.

I didn't have a steady Internet connection until around 2002. So I was only able to be made aware of SRB2's existence around 2000 or 2001, downloading Demo 4.35 and whatever scraps the Addons section had, to take for offline use by myself in tiny half-hour segments.

Back then, I struggled to play the special stages on the kind of high-latency motion-blurry early laptop screen they had those days, while only being able to press two buttons at a time.

I would have been so much more, but I couldn't. I'm sorry.
JTE comes from a poor family, raised entirely on hopes and dreams.

Join date 2008... Means I would have been 11 years old when I started posting on these forums. Yikes. Probably some terrible posts to be discovered if I dared to trawl through them.

Just popping back to try out 2.1 today.

I'm such a new one...
I started playing around 2.0's release. I'm not exactly sure when I started playing in date terms, but it was before 2011, I know that one for sure.

I thought 1.09.4 was better than 2.0+

In my opinion 1.09.4 Is better than 2.0.6

Anyways, back in ends of 2011 I was drawing
Sonic, and then i realize that i had no
good games rather than SADX on my pc, so i did search in
Softonic some Sonic games, and i found SRB2 2.0.6,
i played 30 minutes and i did search for 1.09.4 and played.

A rather short story, right?

I don't remember exactly when or how I found out about SRB2, but I remember reading about how the game was made and being amazed at how much effort was put into it.
I have been watching the progress of the game since about 1.09.4, maybe a year before 2.0 was released, once it was released, I didn't play much of it because of control lag issues I had. I joined the forums recently because I made a silly mistake.

In my opinion 1.09.4 Is better than 2.0.6

Maybe this isn't the right thread for it, but I'd love to hear how you came to hold such an opinion. I have a lot of nostalgia for 1.09, seeing as it was my intro to the game, but I can't imagine going back to it now other than for that old car smell. :P

Can't remember the date, but I was something like 10 years old?I was searching for Super Mario War when I randomly found SRB2 2.0.1 and I became addicted to this game... I encountered something like 4 friends in SRB2, the only one who is still alive is my best TF2 mate, who is French, just like me

Maybe this isn't the right thread for it, but I'd love to hear how you came to hold such an opinion. I have a lot of nostalgia for 1.09, seeing as it was my intro to the game, but I can't imagine going back to it now other than for that old car smell. :P

This is just my opinion, but I feel like 1094 was the last version that really held that feeling that said, "this IS srb2." That feeling sort of vanished for me in 2.0. I think the main problem was the removal of a LOT of things like corona, REDXVI etc. Now that I look back, it does seem like stupid little easter eggs but even so, I miss little things like that. Of course, 2.1 is alright if it had the proper tweaks.

Christ, I'm not sure how long exactly I've been on SRB2 itself, but I do know I've been on the forums since late 2006.

I was a lot more childish back then, and looking back at those old posts isn't exactly a 'trip down memory lane'..

For me, I have been playing SRB2 since 2011. The first version of SRB2 that I played was 1.09.4 and after that, I moved onto 2.0, and finally, 2.1.

Jeez, almost thought this was the original topic I posted in years ago. Thank God it's not, I hate my old writing style.

Anyway, I've been playing the game on and off since 2007, I think. The single player back then was the best possible example of bad level design, but, Mystic Realm, Blue Heaven, and Emerald Isles existed, so I was spoiled for choice with single player content. SRB2's unique level design kept me coming back for more of a compromise of speed and exploration. The game's like any other open source project, it gets better and better with time.

Then, I got to wanting to play as Blaze so badly when I first beat Sonic Rush. Enter the spriting madness I went into in 2009, spring-boarding myself into creating several other absolutely useless characters that I still regret wasting my time on. It held me back from getting into digital art sooner than I did.

Still, I don't regret contributing to SRB2 Riders, or making Blaze, Amy, or Mighty. The rest in between would've been better left to those who are outdoing those old works now, like with Shadow.

I didn't have a steady Internet connection until around 2002. So I was only able to be made aware of SRB2's existence around 2000 or 2001, downloading Demo 4.35 and whatever scraps the Addons section had, to take for offline use by myself in tiny half-hour segments.

Back then, I struggled to play the special stages on the kind of high-latency motion-blurry early laptop screen they had those days, while only being able to press two buttons at a time.

I would have been so much more, but I couldn't. I'm sorry.
JTE comes from a poor family, raised entirely on hopes and dreams.

The feels man, they're real, omg. I've used some old hardware myself, but not like that.

The feels man, they're real, omg. I've used some old hardware myself, but not like that.
Same here. I was on dial up with a Windows 98 computer I made up until 2007. Not even joking. I couldn't have even hoped to watch a YouTube video about SRB2. Lol.

I joined back in 2013, late in 2.0's life cycle. I was bored one day and i was in the mood for a 3D fangame that allowed my to play and chat with friends, and this seemed to be good, so i tried it. Loved the game ever since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Back