[Open Assets] Paper Mario Bros.

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for adding an arc, it really helps. Now, rather than suggesting a ridiculous idea like before, how about some aesthetics, like some Mario Mode assets, like the alternate Invincibility?
And I'm hopefully done here, because I think I sound like I'm being rude.

Why do I always do this stuff late at night?

I'll get to stealing using that code soon, and perhaps I'll set the MARIOMODE flag during invincibility as well. I'll also fix the hammer trajectory underwater, add a Power meter and Shrink meter, create wind particles (EDIT: actually sparkly things) when Tornado jumping, and fix some bugs I just found with the DSZ waterslide.

Last edited:
8SEc1Sv.gif

Life does not rewind.

EDIT: Bug fixed

Last edited:
Should probably change those "flurry" feet on the death sprite to just be regular feet.

Well the workarounds in the recent update worked.... sort of. While on the rope pulleys in ACZ, you can lightly tap the SPIN key to "fall" for a split second but still be close enough to the pulley to grab back on. If you do this repeatedly while shrunk then you can drain the meter and still be on the pulley. This results in the same weird bug I mentioned last time. I actually recorded it too, so here's a gif.
UsYEkM0.gif
Also you might consider infinite shrinking time when you turn super. That seems like something that should be implemented.

Last edited:
Since I've removed all means of attack while Super, I guess I could do an infinite shrink. I've also found that fireballs and hammers will get stuck in place, acting as trip-mines. That shouldn't happen, so I'll just suck it up and force hammers and fireballs to disappear after a set amount of time. RIP GFZ2 spring ride

I may have to do some really freaky stuff to get pulleys to work right. Didn't realize how tricky they are when I started this.

Last edited:
Hammers and fireballs now disappear after 5 seconds no matter what, and you can't make your hammer explode unless you hit someone directly at full power. I know it's a little disappointing, but it was the only way to stop hammers from getting stuck in the map and lasting forever.
Also, I've done what I can regarding hanging on objects while tiny, and I think it's the best that will happen. PROTIP: don't shrink, jump up to a hanging object, then tap SPIN really quickly so you grab it again while you're still growing. That shouldn't happen, even on accident.

Hammering a spring should allow you to attack afterward. It wasn't entirely intentional, but I'll leave it in.

I've played a bit of Match, and I've noticed that Fire Drive is rather weak due to the Fire Flower locking up all of your weapons. I'm gonna leave it as it is, and buff the shield's abilities to compensate. Now that I've added MORE FIREBALLS, Fire Drive Mario should parallel the Armageddon Shield for other characters by being extremely deadly in close-quarters combat.

Also, I've had suggestions to create extra abilities for Mario based on his partners and Pixls from the Paper Mario games. Many of Mario's existing abilities actually cover multiple partner/Pixl actions (throwing hammers to collect items, shrinking to avoid attacks), but Pixls may show up as a cosmetic feature in Single Player in the far future. Maaaybe.

Last edited:
kjbkFIk.gif

Super Hammer Jump, a new ability! (Not really)
Hold Spin and then Jump and you'll get this odd ability.
EDIT: Ability is removed (Chen, how could you?)

Last edited:
>Super Hammer Jump

Yay! Another fun thing to remove! (Actually you were able to double-jump and hammer out of that; I fixed those too.)

esvHlaW.gif

Just one shield issue.
Don't tell me that this is not an issue Chen.
I'm not Chen but this is not the issue because Chen programmed this into Paper Mario to make Air Hammer work probelly while getting whirdwind shield and to not make some cheap exploids

All the cool character wads are too edgy for Whirlwind Shields B)

I'm pretty sure Xkower8181 was correct about why the shield was replaced, and personally I don't see anything wrong with gaining a Pity Shield instead. Mario already has the Tornado Jump, which not only increases your height like a secondary jump but also lets you slowly fall towards the ground.

All the cool character wads are too edgy for Whirlwind Shields B)

I'm pretty sure Xkower8181 was correct about why the shield was replaced, and personally I don't see anything wrong with gaining a Pity Shield instead. Mario already has the Tornado Jump, which not only increases your height like a secondary jump but also lets you slowly fall towards the ground.
Doesn't let you jump after running off a ledge, or cut short your ascent on a spring, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back