Suggestions

I got one.

If you have a custom character that does some form of technique that allows him/her to damage other players (aka Friendly Fire), in Co-Op it shouldn't be able to deal damage to allies and only harm enemies and bosses, unless there's a setting in Options enable that enables friendly fire.

Lua scripts only run once each, and never again.

Unless they're in a ThinkFrame, MobjThinker, or they replace a command. It would actually be neat to disable the scripts and might make testing a bit easier.

I remember seeing a feature in SRB2 Community Build back from 2.0 that I was bummed to see not integrated into the 2.1 release. That feature was allowing players to exit a spindash by pressing the spin button a second time.

Basically everything from SRB2CB that hasn't been implemented yet, but I'm sure everybody has said this already.

How would you exit a spindash by pressing it again if you immediately shoot forward when you let go?

After spindashing, press the spin button again to exit the spindash. You've still got your momentum, but the player exits the spindash into their walking frames. It'd be mostly used for running towards a wall with a gap at the bottom, spinning to go under the gap, and pressing spin again to go back to running instead of having to jump. the only reason I wanted it was for convenience since you wouldn't have to jump to get out of spinning.

I just did another playthrough of SRB2 and I found a few things which rather bugged me.

When the player collects an emerald token, then dies before they reach another starpost, they still keep the emerald token. I'd actually quite like to see the player lose the token and have it respawn if that is the case, especially because there are a few emerald tokens in the game that challenge the player to collect the token then survive some kind of hazard.

Also, I've mentioned this before, but I want to repeat it again. It really bothers me that there is no reason given for the player to die when Metal Sonic wins the race. Even if it is something as simple as a door slamming shut behind Metal Sonic, I would be happy. It just seems odd to have the player arbitrarily die because Metal Sonic reached the end first.

On the topic of Metal Sonic, the player can finish a few seconds behind him and still live. That's rather silly.

I just did another playthrough of SRB2 and I found a few things which rather bugged me.

When the player collects an emerald token, then dies before they reach another starpost, they still keep the emerald token. I'd actually quite like to see the player lose the token and have it respawn if that is the case, especially because there are a few emerald tokens in the game that challenge the player to collect the token then survive some kind of hazard.

Also, I've mentioned this before, but I want to repeat it again. It really bothers me that there is no reason given for the player to die when Metal Sonic wins the race. Even if it is something as simple as a door slamming shut behind Metal Sonic, I would be happy. It just seems odd to have the player arbitrarily die because Metal Sonic reached the end first.

On the topic of Metal Sonic, the player can finish a few seconds behind him and still live. That's rather silly.

I think this complaint draws parallels with this:
I don't think new players understand what exactly the countdown means in the Metal Sonic race. I mean, if the map was any other aesthetic theme it would be obvious, but Egg Rock Zone already has plenty of sections with space countdowns. How is the player supposed to know they didn't trip a space countdown timer when they reach the final stretch? This was my confusion at first, even though I figured it out after a few tries.

To make it more intuitive would really be as simple as just changing the graphic used for that specific countdown. Maybe add a checkered flag or something, I dunno.

I don't know if this is a bug or something but...
Why the heck is Sonic skidding after every thok?!
I do not even press the backwards button, I just keep holding forward by thoking...

Oh MI, you're such a troll.

As it so happens, I came here with another suggestion for admins/hosts. Ability to mute individual players, not all at once. That is all.

This is a little JBM that I keep forgetting to mention. It should be no surprise by now that the level clear screen in SRB2 is based off of Sonic 2's, much like the rest of the game's HUD and menu aesthetics:

lclear1.png
lclear2.png

Now, SRB2 has a special handler for single-act stages, that is, for levels with an Act number of 0:

lclear3.png

This one has always bugged me due to how lopsided the text is. The thing is, Sonic 2 itself also has a special handler for single-act stages, it's just never seen in normal gameplay due to all the single acts skipping the score tally entirely.

However, through the magic of placing animal capsules through debug, we can trigger this scenario anyway:

lclear4.png

Doesn't that look better? C'mon, it should be piss easy to implement and it makes the presentation less sloppy, so...

Seems Engrish and too summarized for me. It's a small difference, but changing it to "SONIC GOT THROUGH THE ZONE" would make the suggestion better.

Talking about the score tally screen, why the hell is the bonus for not being hit during a boss fight called "Guard Bonus"? If it wasn't because someone in the IRC told me, I would have never figured out what it's supposed to be or how it works. I propose changing it to "Evade Bonus" like in X8000's graphic replacement.

That would defeat the entire point of making it a shorter string. Good job.

A shorter string is not the issue here at all. You can make the overall look somewhat better by just changing the spacing between things a bit. There's no need to sacrifice perfectly good language for Engrish just because it makes the text a bit more compact.

A shorter string is not the issue here at all. You can make the overall look somewhat better by just changing the spacing between things a bit. There's no need to sacrifice perfectly good language for Engrish just because it makes the text a bit more compact.
The point is, if you're such a pedant for correct grammar, then you might as well ignore my suggestion completely, since changing "the act" to "the zone" will only make the thing even more lopsided.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 10, Members: 0, Guests: 10)

Back