The Pony Thread (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obligitary, really.
494px-MLP-show-title-card_1.jpg

This is quite the cartoon, spreading over the internet like a wildfire for the past several months. It was produced by Lauren Faust, whom of which worked on several great cartoons in the past, such as Fosters
Epic face palm moment that explains a lot, this leaves me as Twilight Sparkle on this scale.

---------- Post added at 09:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 AM ----------

My little sister happens to use our Netflix a lot. She found FiM and has been watching like crazy for the past day or two. I have to admit though, I watched some of the episodes with her and I actually find it to be quite amusing. I just don't understand the hate or confusion it gets just because of its target audience. This show has more character and plot put into it than I've ever seen in any show focused on young girls. Unlike most shows, FiM's characters have an actual personality, and that's why it's such a good show for all ages.

That literally is my story of how i came to watch the series.

How.. how is Rarity holding that with her hoof? 0.o
Well, if I ask that I might as well ask how RD's mane and tail produces a rainbow.

Can't belive I missed this topic. I love this show (Mainly due to Fluttershy being cuter than a box of kittens). And how great of a cartoon it is.

Well... it's been awhile since I last posted in this thread so...

Was at Walmart because I looked at Equesrtria Daily to see if any of the Wave 2, 3 or whatever number Blind Bag figures were in the USA and they mentioned that Wave 3 were popping up in the USA at Walmart, Target, etc.

So I took a look at Walmart, didn't find any but I did notice these...
ponyimage01.PNG

Then today... I went to Target to see if there were any Wave 3 Blind Bags there, didn't find any but I did find this which is only sold via Target stores... costed about $13.99 + Tax so around $14.
0824121701a.jpg

*Edit*
And now... my current collection currently seeing as I found 20 Wave 3 (Or 4?) Blind Bags at a Walmart. Shame it wasn't all of them but eh...
0826121126b.jpg

-----
So... now I'm wondering what you people have, that is if you even collect the figures. I do hope that I'll be able to look at another Target store to see if they have any of the remaining Wave 3 (Or 4?) Blind Bags there. Hopefully...

Last edited:
So I have a question for the bronies...
Why do you like this show so much?
Now, this is not meant as a hate post, I'm just genuinely asking fans of the show as to why they like it so much summed up in a single post.
To be honest, this is my opinion:
I think the writing is cliche, and I mean extremely cliche. I can predict almost any plot ending or event from the moment the episode even develops a plot because almost every episode has an idea that's been done to death. The humor? I don't think making constant meme references really makes a show funny, and if I'm not missing anything from watching 5 episodes, I don't think the show is very funny. I hardly laugh at all during the show. I only grinned once out of the 5 episodes I watched. The characters? Sure, it's very full of flavor with the character variety, but the character's themselves just fall flat. Every single character just seems to have one theme and they stick with it, which to me makes the cast completely uninteresting. For example, Pinkie Pie is the obvious non-sequitor (please tell me I spelt that right) GIR-expy, but unlike GIR, she just comes off as selfish and annoying. Rarity is the "MUST BE CLEAN" type we see all the time, then Twilight Sparkle as the "Morality" character type, Applejack as the "rough-em-up" cowboy-ish type, and lastly, Rainbow Dash as the "I can do anything" kind of person. However, this just adds to the cliche-ness of the writing. The visuals? Very colorful, but to me the animation is nothing special, and it's very fitting to the source (while not very original). All in all, I just think this show is meh (a 5-6 out of 10) in my book. Nothing original, and I personally think it's a bit overrated.

So I hear that Season 3 is only 13 episodes long... but more than that, I hear they're switching to a two-seasons-a-year schedule. (Think South Park.) That'd be interesting to see, wouldn't it?

And yet we still lack a start date.

non-sequitor (please tell me I spelt that right)
Very close. "Non sequitur". Dash optional.

I hear they're switching to a two-seasons-a-year schedule.
[citation needed]

Why do you like this show so much?
Because I watched the magical pony show and the magical pony show entertained me. I don't know how to explain it, and there's no point if you've seen it and decided you don't like it. Opinions are opinions, and nobody's gonna force you to share theirs.

(I disagree with the "contrived writing", though. And meme references? uh, what)

And meme references? uh, what)[/SIZE]

Chocolate Rain

Why can't I think of any others? I know there are some more, but more than anything, it's created it's OWN memes. To say that memes are a large majority of the humor is inaccurate though.

If you want to see why I like it, Nickster, just check this pastebin. I have its contents posted farther back in the thread, but for quick reference: http://pastebin.com/AYEQ0Ewq

Last edited:

Thanks for the feedback~ I'll reply for myself.
The first thing to know about My Little Pony FIM is that, at the beginning, it was supposed to be a show for younger people. The creators never expected to have, the large community that there is now. Even if the audiance of the show is ... actually, a majority of teens and young adults, you wouldn't doubt that they can't turn the show into something which would fit for this new unexpected community. The show wasn't supposed to be for them, so, they tried to keep the same fantasy, a fantasy which may attract both teens and childrens. Also, of course, older people can understand the morality before that Twilight has to say it, because we've experience on life, but younger ones ... should learn from it, I guess. We also know that it will ends well at the end of each episode, it's obvious that having a dark end shouldn't please to childs.

On my own side, why do I like the show... before-all, no, it's not because a lot of people liked it
One reason is that, it's cute, obviously. They're just cute ponies having adventures - it can maybe relate with Shojo animes. Some japanese animes are loved because of how they're cute, even if they don't involve story.
Another reason : ponies have an unique personality, but - they don't actually always stick to it. Fluttershy is deeply shy in the first episode, but through the progression, she gets more assertive, and even reflects the opposite of her personality in the 7th episode, where she protects her friends from a dragon. Supposed to represent the Elements of Harmony, they also display a contrast with their own personalities, like the Fluttershy example I mentioned above, or also the 20th one, where Rarity is jealous of Fluttershy, whereas she said that "a lady is never jealous" two episodes sooner, and.. I didn't even finished to watch the first season, but I also heard that Twilight becomes crazy in another episode. So- it's true that in the 5 firsts episodes, they seem to act according to their mental design, but they can do the perfect opposite too.

Universe is my main reason to like the show. Then, some people (not myself if you ask me, I'm not really into pony media) are interested by the animation of the show (which is a Flash animation if I'm not wrong), and then, the fan-made stuff. This goes through tones of dubstep remixes on Youtube, as well as pony art, and why not memes. Usually, you must enjoy the show to enjoy the memes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back