Official Level Design Contest: November/December 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
The mode does indeed suck though. I just released an exe to help fix some of the problems with 2d mode. It wouldn't help the contest though, since the wads are supposed to be played on 1.09.4.

Chrome said:
Because they are trying to prove you wrong. Thats what I think anyway.
But everyone knows it sucks! What's to prove? It's been fixed in 1.1, sure, but in 1.09.4 it's terrible and everyone should know it by now. Just look at the ratings of previous 2D stages and people should know better at this point.

[color=indigo said:
Torgo[/color]]The mode does indeed suck though.

--coughcoughpalmtreepaniczonecough--

Also, I'm designing a 2D mode level and trying really, really hard to make it cool. It's based on New Super Mario Bros, and contains textures and sprite replacements from the game. More importantly, I'm trying to make the level really cool and original, and to have it emulate the feel of NSMB. Maybe I CAN make something good out of 2D mode.

(NOTE: this is for NEXT contest, not this one.)

But fawfulfan, even Palmtree Panic, despite looking really pretty, played pretty badly because 2D mode is terrible. There's nothing that can make a 2D map in 1.09.4 good because even if the angels came down from the heavens and graced us with the perfect 2D map, it wouldn't change the fact that 2D physics in 1.09.4 are ass and the camera is even worse.

Mystic said:
But fawfulfan, even Palmtree Panic, despite looking really pretty, played pretty badly because 2D mode is terrible. There's nothing that can make a 2D map in 1.09.4 good because even if the angels came down from the heavens and graced us with the perfect 2D map, it wouldn't change the fact that 2D physics in 1.09.4 are ass and the camera is even worse.

The term powerdrunk comes to mind.

Jadennova said:
Mystic said:

Powerdrunk? What are you on about? What does it have to do with what Mystic said? o_O

Jadennova said:
Mystic said:

What the hell are you talking about? Care to explain what you mean by that? I agree that the current 2D mode in SRB2 1.09.4 sucks. 1.1's will be much better for making 2D levels.

Sonict said:
Jadennova said:
Mystic said:

What the hell are you talking about? Care to explain what you mean by that? I agree that the current 2D mode in SRB2 1.09.4 sucks. 1.1's will be much better for making 2D levels.

Do I really?

It just is, there's is no deeper meaning.

Mystic said:
But fawfulfan, even Palmtree Panic, despite looking really pretty, played pretty badly because 2D mode is terrible. There's nothing that can make a 2D map in 1.09.4 good because even if the angels came down from the heavens and graced us with the perfect 2D map, it wouldn't change the fact that 2D physics in 1.09.4 are [terrible] and the camera is even worse.

Well, I personally think my map came out simply average as far as enjoyment levels go. I don't think I'll ever do another one. I haven't had any complaints from Torgo or Boinciel with hazards that jump out at you. Even if my stage fails miserably, there are still a few techniques contained within that would work great in v1.1 2D mode as well.

There are just so many bandages littered all over the place in an attempt to fix 2D mode. I'm not even gonna try to make another one.

Jadennova said:
Sonict said:
Jadennova said:
Mystic said:
I said stuff...

I said stuff...

I said stuff...

Do I really?

I'm going to ask you again. Stop beating around the bush and get to the point. What do you mean by that statement? If you decide not to explain it clearly, I will then assume it is an attempt at flaming someone for no good reason. Your choice. If you explain, I may or may not let you off.

Sonict said:
Jadennova said:
Sonict said:
Jadennova said:
Mystic said:
I said stuff...

I said stuff...

I said stuff...

Do I really?

I'm going to ask you again. Stop beating around the bush and get to the point. What do you mean by that statement? If you decide not to explain it clearly, I will then assume it is an attempt at flaming someone for no good reason. Your choice. If you explain, I may or may not let you off.

Okay,okay

I'll explain, And they'res no need to threat me.
The thing is that I'm a bit bitter after being tempbanned by one of your admins for nel a reason such as thanking a friend, that's why I have no faith in the sonic fanbase anymore.

Good enough for ya?

Well, your choice of method for venting your issue is ill-advised, at best. You decided to come post a flame in an unrelated topic with an unrelated quote to an administrator that wasn't even involved in your ban. Good job making an utter fool of yourself. If you have a problem with the administration of the forums, posting flames in unrelated topics is NOT the proper method of dealing with it. You could private message the administrator that did it, or you could also private message another administrator to complain. Don't post it publicly on the forums and definitely don't derail a perfectly good topic with your idiocy.

Next time I suggest you use your brain before you go spouting retarded garbage on our forums.

Now we can get back to the topic at hand, how people keep using 2D mode when it clearly is going to make them lose the contest because of how unplayable it is.

Again, I'm very aware of how bad 2D mode is. I still sent my level in, though. I really don't care about losing the 1P division, but the fact of the matter is, is that if you don't know what's in front of you (i.e., there's NOTHING hinting you, not floating rings, not anything), and you thok that direction, you will be forcibly stopped via blue spring/downward shaft before you are presented with the next hazard/challenge, therefore at least making the stage playable. No, it's not a particularly good level. I still am proud of the result, simply because it's better than the other 2D mode levels around here.

Rest assured, Mystic, that I will not make another 2D level until v1.1 comes out. I do think I'll get positive feedback from other users, though, which is the entire reason it's entered in the first place.

Mystic said:

2D Mode in 1094 is still just as significant as 1.1 due to the simple things. The fixed camera positioning clearly identifies a foreground and background and forces the level to be perceived from the angle that the level designer wants the player to. It's a very stark contrast between 3D levels, in which the player is exploring a world without restrictions on the perception of the level. Granted, at the moment the current 2D mode sucks for presenting the speedy gameplay expected from a Sonic game. However, I view SRB2 as a canvas, not as a Sonic game that can be customized. If it means slowing the player down in order to fully experience my painting, it's by all means worth it.

Granted, I should know by now that you're not looking for a canvas but a way to play SRB2 like retro Sonic.

Me, I was just experimenting, and Glaber Syndrome was invoked. Hence GS Scrap Brain.

I don't plan on tackling 2d mode again until 1.1 arrives.

Again, Glaber, I am at a total loss to explain why, but I really loved that level, even though it goes against logic.

Anyway, it is annoying that in 2D mode, you really need to pace yourself to actually experience the level proper, but if you're willing to do it, I think you'll find that a couple of 2D mode levels are actually worth playing. Or maybe you can add in a character WAD who's really slow but has a great jump.

2D mode wasn't the problem at ALL in your level. In fact, Glaber, you ended up almost completely masking every flaw that 2D mode normally has to offer. But the fact that your level is maze-like and completely devoid of hand-eye coordination challenges is why you got such a low score.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back