HORNMOD: CHAMPIONSHIP EDITION

[Script] HORNMOD: CHAMPIONSHIP EDITION CE 2

Tyron

Krew, MS sysop, gay robot, horns
Press the Item button with no item to honk.

Features:

• 299+ incredibly abrasive noises
  • i've gay

play a race lol
Servers:
horn_hellchance: Chance out of 1000 that a hellhorn (louder and more abrasive) will be randomly assigned to a player with no horn selected.
horn_preferexpansions: Off by default. When On and expansion packs are loaded, players without a horn set will only receive expansion horns, and never the base 300-ish horns. Good for themed servers.
horn_explode: When Off (by default), uses the standard volume-reduction spam limiter. When On, uses the "if you don't shut up I will blow up your vehicle" spam limiter.
horn_unleashhell: Off by default. When On, players can select hellhorns as if they were normal horns. Warning: this is REALLY LOUD.

Players:
Use the horn command to display all available commands.
Scripts loaded after HORNMOD can call "HORNMOD_AddHorns" to bolt their own awful meme sounds onto the existing list. HORNMOD will handle allocating these, just make sure the files are actually present.
Code:
HORNMOD_AddHorns({name = "sfx_foo", info = "Horn Example"}, {name = "sfx_ivegay", "info = "i've gay", extags = "this is used for searches but not displayed"})
You can add hellhorns too:
Code:
HORNMOD_AddHellHorns({name = "sfx_bar", info = "GENUINELY TERRIBLE NOISE"})
Companion scripts can also use HORNMOD_Horns() and HORNMOD_HellHorns(), which return the relevant sections of the horn table.
Starting with V5, HORNMOD became non-Reusable after an unresolvable conflict with a server host. Version 4 and earlier of HORNMOD are Reusable. All versions of HORNMOD: CHAMPIONSHIP EDITION are non-Reusable.

Attachments

• 2019-03-08_07-31-40_srb2kart.png
    2019-03-08_07-31-40_srb2kart.png
    47.7 KB · Views: 3,203
  • 2019-03-08_07-38-32_Discord.png
    2019-03-08_07-38-32_Discord.png
    15.4 KB · Views: 2,931
  • input.gif
    input.gif
    3.2 MB · Views: 3,080
Last edited:
I feel like I've given this enough testing (at the expense of my sanity) to comfortably put this through. I guess over a month of public beta testing paid off after all!

At last, now you too can experience the joy of soundspam rivaling TF2 admin abuse circa-2012!

Thanks, I hate it.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190308_165044.png
    Screenshot_20190308_165044.png
    17.3 KB · Views: 13,034
  • Screenshot_20190308_165044.png
    Screenshot_20190308_165044.png
    17.3 KB · Views: 24,835
HORNMOD 2 released. Changelog/updated documentation will be added when I'm finished moving cross-country. GLHF

I made this account for the one and only purpose if expressing my gratitude for the joy (and probably some anger) that you've brought to this world through this mod.

So uh, thanks. I guess.

Updated to support Hitfeed v2. Yes, I know this is 10 years overdue.

If you don't use the antispam features on your server, or you don't use Hitfeed, you can skip this one.

HORNMOD V5 released.

- Use "hornlocaloverride" with a number between 1 and 200 to change all horns client-side. Try it with something short and quiet for a more relaxed experience.
- Use "shutup [name]" to almost completely silence a specific player's honking. Tired of that one guy who's pressed Wario Laughing 5 times every second for the past 45 minutes? Shove a baseball in their mouth.
- Server hosts: "hornsafepowerups" comes On by default, and prevents players from triggering spam protection while they're in Grow or Invincibility. Honk to your heart's content, it's scarier this way.
- unleashhell.

Note: Starting with V5, HORNMOD is now Non-Reusable due to an apparently unresolvable conflict with a server host. If you want to add new features or make changes to existing features, contact me here (or wherever else you can find me) to ask first—this is not intended to restrict most good-faith edits. Horn expansion packs and companion scripts are also still OK, and always will be.

V5-but-actually-working is up, preventing "shutup" resetting when it shouldn't, and fixing an issue where unleashing hell also unleashed midrace syncbombs. I guess the only appropriate way to update this thing was by breaking the entire addon. Hosts, please redownload if you grabbed the original V5 or V5-hellfix.

I apologize for trainwrecking this release a bit, HORNMOD is largely really old code and there are some things in here that I probably wouldn't do the same again if I'd written this script today. Please look forward to actual new horns in 2024.

Last edited:
How do I add horns?

I've seen custom horns added in some modpacks, and I'd rather not just steal from them for my own.

Uploaded V5-io. In this version, configs will be loaded from the "luafiles" directory using 1.3's new(ish) I/O support. No new features.

This should resolve config-search stalling for players with slow drives, and should help mitigate timeout-on-join issues on servers with incorrectly configured nettimeout.

(AFAIK there is literally no reason not to have this maxed.)

EDIT: Version "-io2" resolves issues where some dedicated servers running vanilla 1.3 would freak out at the new config system. This is because of a base game bug (currently fixed in master).

Last edited:
I've seen people put custom horns during races, can someone tell me how to do this? I'm brain dead when it comes to tinkering with code.

Still one of my favourite mods, even if some other servers running their own variants seem to forget hellhorns were sectioned off for a reason >_>

Some thoughts: Would it be possible to also make it so horns can be activated with one of the Custom inputs in addition to the item button? Just so you can doot while holding an item (or, heaven forbid, bind multiple horns to different customs at once like the emoji mod)? Alternatively, have a selection of horns loaded at once and they're used randomly when you press the item button (as opposed to the fully random option of every horn).

Is it possible to have a readme file with the instructions and a list of available horns and their corresponding numbers as well?

Might the horn number be displayed in the corner of the screen during the race? Small and discrete, but easier to commit to memory than the brief display at the end of the race. Either that or have the horn you were using during a race saved in the console log rather than disappearing after a bit.

Rhythm minigame in the middle of a race where you time your horn to it and get a speed boost. Semi-serious idea?

Regardless, love the mod, it's just the right kind of silly for the game~

Too many servers use the horn mod more than any other mod.I really like the mod but one time when I was playing with the horn mod Honking It said TIME TO DIE! then it shut off my game.That scared me for a while but I'm over it now

Too many servers use the horn mod more than any other mod.I really like the mod but one time when I was playing with the horn mod Honking It said TIME TO DIE! then it shut off my game.That scared me for a while but I'm over it now

The reason that happened is because there is a default variable where if you honk one too many times, the game closes. If you're hosting HORNMOD, there is an option to turn this off.

(The release post has more information. I'm just sharing what I know.)

Some thoughts: Would it be possible to also make it so horns can be activated with one of the Custom inputs in addition to the item button? Just so you can doot while holding an item (or, heaven forbid, bind multiple horns to different customs at once like the emoji mod)?
No interest in doing this, custom buttons are a huge conveyance problem—and the emergent "taunt"-like behavior of horns, where you announce to everyone in range that you're not holding, is really cute IMO.

Alternatively, have a selection of horns loaded at once and they're used randomly when you press the item button (as opposed to the fully random option of every horn).
Maybe in the future.

Is it possible to have a readme file with the instructions and a list of available horns and their corresponding numbers as well?
Ideally this isn't necessary. Future versions will have everything documented under a single command—there's an ongoing rewrite, but I'm letting it cook for a loooooong time to avoid shenanigans.

Might the horn number be displayed in the corner of the screen during the race? Small and discrete, but easier to commit to memory than the brief display at the end of the race. Either that or have the horn you were using during a race saved in the console log rather than disappearing after a bit.
I am against a persistent HUD display, gameplay mods already do horrible things to the screen when stacked together. A console line is probably fine, I'll think about how to handle this in the next version.

Rhythm minigame in the middle of a race where you time your horn to it and get a speed boost. Semi-serious idea?
At one point I considered a speed boost the higher your hornspam score was. Live on the edge~ Unlikely to actually exist in the mod, but I like the idea of this, weirdly enough.

Too many servers use the horn mod more than any other mod.I really like the mod but one time when I was playing with the horn mod Honking It said TIME TO DIE!
"TIME TO DIE" is briefly displayed if you go over the spam limit, but aren't currently in a place where you can be killed—horn explosions are prevented in certain situations to avoid them being a quick way to recover from deathpits, driving mistakes, etc.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back