Kartmaker - Sprites to WAD in record time

[Open Assets] Kartmaker - Sprites to WAD in record time 2019-01-29

This content may be freely modified and/or maintained by anyone.

fickleheart

ms reflec beat stan
This is a simple utility that automatically creates a character WAD for SRB2Kart from a working folder. It handles separating a sprite sheet into multiple sprites, applying the appropriate wheel shine for each frame, rendering the vibration effect, converting graphics to the SRB2 palette, and placing the sprites into a WAD with appropriate names. It also handles generating an S_SKIN and importing voice files for the character.

This program can be used either by dragging the working folder onto kartmaker.exe, or running it in the command line with the folder path as an argument. Two example folders, one with a transparent background and one with colors defined as transparent, are included. Copy one of the example folders and edit the files within it for your character. (If you're pasting in sprites from another working sheet, make the shines on the wheels transparent so that the proper shine effect for each frame can be applied!)

If you need a different sheet layout, you can edit the layout information in properties.txt for your working folder. If you need to convert graphics to a different palette, you can replace PLAYPAL.lmp in the kartmaker folder with any palette lump of your choosing.

Source code is included in the download and licensed under the GPL. You should only need gcc to compile it. I've tested this on Windows, but not on other OSes.

The sample sprite sheets were edited from a sheet reference made by VAdaPEGA and contain sample images of his Flicky character.

NOTE: Due to the nature of its purpose, please refrain from using this program for monetary gain.

Attachments

• kartmakerdemo.gif
    kartmakerdemo.gif
    940.2 KB · Views: 23,898
  • kartmaker.zip
    521.2 KB · Views: 14,235
  • kartmaker.zip
    521.2 KB · Views: 10,251
Last edited:
Welcome to releases! Sadly, I just don't have the time to make a stupid meme for the sake of example. I would have, but trying to find the sounds for something nobody would hear was too difficult, so... eh.

Updated the EXE to fix a bug with the HUD graphics not being exported properly. Serves me right for forgetting to test those....

Updated again to fix a crash related to accessing uninitialized memory.

There's an issue with some angles of vibration sprites not lining up the vibration patterns with the official characters'. If this is important to you, I'll try to get a fix out for that soon.

This is a great tool! Thank you so much for making this! Opening a kart wad makes me want to be doing literally anything else. I've never understood what I'm looking at and never been able to figure it out. Thanks for a great, useful tool like this. You've made me dread making a character a considerably less amount. ^^

This actually looks pretty great, though i would suggest making it more compatible with the wads that have custom made karts, for example making a different type of sheet where shine sprites would have to be inserted manually, still, for normal karts, this is godsend.

You can just erase/replace the kart references yourself? Everything about how the sprites are generated is defined in properties.txt and can be customized as needed.

Before I had a painful time with almost everything. This makes it a whole lot easier. Thanks!

You clearly don't know how this works then. This would not help much for vanilla characters at all.

This is really cool and all, but could you add a support for asymmetrical characters? Because if your character is asymmetrical you can't use this tool

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back