Evil Otto and Other Videogame Villians

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wombatwarlord777

"...What?"
Note: To skip a very large and irrelevant essay, please scroll down to the "tl:dr" section. Thanks for your cooperation.

"Gather 'round children, and you shall hear
The tale of Evil Otto.
If you ever see his smiling face,
'Run like Hell' would be my motto."

The year is 1980 and the game is Stern's Berzerk. You control Anonymous Pixel Guy. Your objective is to shoot robots in a maze and move to the next screen. Fortunately for you, these robots are dumb. Despite their penchment for trash talk, they are slow, frequently run into electrified walls, and tend to shoot each other. Sounds pretty easy, right? Well, there's one more foe you'll very soon encounter...

otto.jpg

Meet the face of ultimate evil!

Enter Evil Otto. It's not known if Evil Otto is the mastermind behind your imprisonment in this robot-filled labryinth, or if he's another lackey. That's irrelevant, though, because you will fear him regardless. Unlike the robots, Evil Otto is not dumb. He'll cut through walls as he homes in on your location, destroying any grunt robot in his path. As he closes in, you'll frantically blast him with laser shot upon laser shot. None of that will phase him though, much less kill him. Finally, he'll corner you, and with the slightest touch of Evil Otto's disemboweled head, you die. Evil Otto merrily bounces and sadistically grins the whole time. It's all too obvious he enjoys hunting you down.

berzerk.png

Prepare to die.

You cannot win against Evil Otto. The only thing anybody can do is attempt to flee his wrath in the temporary safety of the adjacent screens. But at full speed, Evil Otto bounces just about as fast as you can run. Did I mention he can pass through walls?

35aswa1.png

Just try to run, insect!

Sephiroth, one of videogamedom's most recognized bad-asses, is nothing compared to Evil Otto. Sure, Sephiroth may have god-like powers, but he can certaintly be killed. Sephiroth can summon a meteor that destroys half the solar system before plunging into the Sun, triggering a massive supernova. But guess what? It's possible for your party to survive that onslaught. Foregoing the fancy attacks, one touch from Evil Otto is irreversible death. Sephiroth may be the destroyer of worlds, but Evil Otto devours them.

14xdilc.png

Man, that was hardly a fair fight.

The exact extent of Evil Otto's dark powers are unknown, though he's even mightier in Frenzy, the 1982 sequel to Berzerk. Although it is now possible to destroy Evil Otto's body with three dead-on shots, he'll soon resurrect, faster and angrier than before, confirming his legendary immortality. And then there's the skeletons and other spookish creatures you're now obligated to shoot in lieu of robots. Who could have summoned this undead legion? Without any other explanation, we may assume that Evil Otto is the necromancer in question. Finally, scattered about the eternal maze are massive statues bearing Evil Otto's likeness, acknowledging the vast influence of the grimmest of gods.

n5fub8.png

The altar upon which you shall be sacrificed.

The mazes in which both games take place brings up another interesting possibility. Their hopelessly eternal manner hints that your endeavors cannot possibly be any sort of military mission. Even in Frenzy, where you're tasked with the specific goals of destroying nuclear reactors and computers, the number of nuclear reactors and computers are endless. No armed force on earth would have the supplies needed to take down Evil Otto's realm. So here's what I think the implied backstory of the games is:

You're a mercenary living in the not-so-distant future. You take any job for the money. You've destroyed entire villages, species and planets. And on the weekends you like to bully weakling videogame developers because it makes you feel big. Unsurprisingly, this lifestyle makes you many enemies and one day some guy manages to off you. The next thing you know, you're in your own personalized Hell, a low-res nightmare in which you're tasked with endless and impossible combat missions, a punishment fitting for a videogame-hating unscupulous mercenary such as yourself. And since you've been especially bad, the ruler of Hell personally sees to it that you're suffering adequately. That's right: Evil Otto is the Dark Lord Satan incarnate.

tl:dr - Evil Otto is sadistic, relentless, powerful and immortal, making him perhaps the mightiest videogame villian of all time, as well as one of my personal favorites. My question to you, dear viewers, is: What qualities do you like in your videogame villians? Or, if that's too broad in scope, who's your favorite videogame villian and why? I'm interested in seeing everyones' responses...

Last edited:
For me, a villain must be fun to challenge as a prerequisite. It doesn't matter whether he is easy or hard, if I don't enjoy it then he's going to be pretty pathetic.

I like to get invested in my games, so the villain that appeals to me most is one that sends a message powerful enough to reach the player. For example, there is not a single final boss from Touhou that I don't treat with respect. "Aquaria" and "Okami" both had incidents where I'd actually come to hate one of the villains (in the latter it was actually much stronger the second time around). In "Vectorman 1", "Ecco II" and "Sonic the Hedgehog 1-3K", I was terrified of the final boss.

So my favorite 'villains' are those that can actually reach out beyond the context of the game. Giygas would be another example if I ever played it, on the polar opposite side of the spectrum, there's Bowser and Ganondorf. There's the final boss from "Sonic and the Black Knight" which was bittersweet.

My ultimate favorite videogame 'villain' would probably be... the final boss of "Aquaria". Not only was he difficult the first several times around, but really stood out in more than one extreme without much space in between for you to gather your senses. Honorable mention goes to Orochi (who was a riot to fight), Yuyuko (not quite a villain), and the Yama.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back