what programs do you use to make sprites for wads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonic Destiny

dealer of Retribution.
i try to use graphics gale but i dont think im good at making sprites.
can anyone suggest a different program?

I use MS Paint most of the time, occasionally with the aid of a hand drawn image, and a scanner.

Paint is actually a very powerful image editor, because it's so simple. People can do crazy things if they know what they're doing.

I use iDraw which might be better known around the RPG-maker community. It is very handy and has some options that are especially useful if you are creating very small images (pixel art FTW). It is also capable of choosing explicit coulor values and creating coulor transitions very precisely

Hower, most of you won't say that it is very good since it can only handle 256 coulor sprites. ;-P

Here is a demo screen... I just opened lots of option windows to show a little more:
idrawrm4.png

Sonic Destiny said:
Cue said:
how the h311 can you use paint to make sprites? wouldnt it be really hard?

I've used Paint for all of my pics that I've ever made, even ones that are great, or big! And I don't usually use scanned pics to help me - but the only exception is this Mecha Knux pic:
MECHCHAR3-1.png

But I'm just very good at using Paint. But it doesn't mean you can't be good at using it as well. It's not as hard as you say it is.

I just realised that there is a tool called "iDraw" for Mac OS which is not the one that I meant. I meant "iDraw Chara Maker" which can rarely be found on some rpg maker websites... so I guess I should post a DOWNLOAD LINK.

;)

Sonic Destiny said:
I have a question though, how can you use microsoft paint so well?
Do you care to share with me any secrets?
I use MSPaint for spriting and I don't find it too hard. I know there are better things though, but it's totally doable in MSPaint.

Pencil tool most of the time. use 1-pixel-thick lines only. Edit each pixel individually. Take it slowly. This is the rule of sprites and pixel art.

That one you use, Morph, Looks really good. If I ever get into spriting I'll look it up.

I use NeoPaint, MUCH BETTER than MSPaint in my opinion. I use NeoPaint mainly because whenever I try to start up MSPaint, it normally results in my computer slowing down and then freezing.

NeoPaint.jpg

I've honestly have no qualms about it. I love it that much.

I had to find a crack for it as it is not free. It was a ***** to find.

Well thank you for all the assistance.
It seems ive learned new skills in graphicsgale and mspaint so i think im ok. im working on a new wad now i scrapped that recolor of shadow i made called neo sonic.

So im going to make something no one else has made. im not going to tell you what it is but ill release when im done because i dont want people stealing my idea.

Im not necesarrilly talking about any of you. im just making a point

But anyways thank you everyone for giving me some insight into spriting ^^

Same as I'll begin, using the pencil tool and editing each pixel manually. Of course you must set up what colors you want to use first. The default colors aren't always the best, maybe except for black and white :P

EDIT: why do I always skip page changes? x_X

I nearly always use the line tool for drawing in Paint. It allows me to make accurate, amazing pics.

Here are some other examples of pics I made:

Snip! - 11/04/14

Last edited:
One more question, im working on a wad right now but when i load in the first sprite,(in XWE) the background of the sprite image is purple and not light blue like the rest of the screen.

(even though in graphics gale it shows up as lightblue)

can anyone offer any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back