Favorite Overlooked Video-Games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Megaman 2: The Power Fighters does it for me. Very versetile arcade game with 4 playable characters and 3 story modes.

That game is a bit easy, though. Megaman: Wily Wars was a good game, too.

Okay, there's a few games that people recognize as good games, but in the overlooked category is games that you all would recognize:
Tails Sky Patrol
Sonic Labyrinth
As far as I can tell, most people overlooked these, primarily because they were Sonic games that lacked speed. Personally, I think that the puzzler side of the Sonic universe shone here. Just my two cents.

Christ people, you've got me drowning in nostalgia. :P

Pac-man 2 was my favorite game for years, and the MDK series was awesome. Starlancer for Dreamcast was another favorite of mine, but wasn't overlooked as far as Dreamcast owners go... just everybody else.

I'd also like to nominate Star Control 2, which I must point out yet again is playable on modern PC's with varied OSes for absolutely free; go here to download it.

The merits of nominating SC2 are questionable, because many of the popular gaming sites, like IGN and Gamespot and the like, consistently list the game in their Top 100 lists, often in the top 20 (IGN had it at 17). Despite that, however, the game still isn't widely known about or played, oddly enough. So I suppose I can get away with mentioning it.

Shadow Hog said:
Dr. Brain: Action Reaction was pretty good. Now, I don't know why, for the life of me, the old gray-haired Dr. Brain of Sierra fame became a young red-haired hot-shot in games by Knowledge Adventure, but I can excuse that because this game is actually pretty damn good. It uses the first iteration of UnrealEngine, so you can guess around where the graphics quality is... It did a pretty good job with it, though.

Anyway, the game is, in effect, a first-person puzzler. I mean, sure, you've got a gun and there are guards to shoot, but you can only stun them, and you only get the one weapon. As of such, emphasis is less on combat, and instead figuring out what the heck you're supposed to do to get out of a level. There are plenty of puzzles: things like pipes that drop and corral colored balls (you have to alter the path of the ball to get to the correct bin - harder than it sounds, since these pipe mazes are HUGE), or navigating droids into specific places while keeping others out of those areas, or heck, just getting from Point A to Point B, usually with platforming and guards abound. Plus, I believe you can skip a level, if it's too hard for you, or you're being intimidated by the unkillable (but, as I said, stunnable) hulking guards who always seem to know where you are once they've spotted you in the first place.

Other than that... I dunno, Trackmania's good. Earthworm Jim 3D for the PC and N64 is okay, but those boss fights suck. Glover for the PC, N64 and PS1 was pretty inventive, but the game's really, really hard (a lot of design flaws, methinks - did you know that bowling balls are completely shattered if you lightly place them on spikes? Yeah, me neither). Half-Life isn't obscure in the slightest bit...

Ooh, here's one. Star Wars Droidworks. It's an edutainment title, more or less, but beyond that, you get to make robots and control them to solve various fun little puzzles. I tend to skip the Physics lessons and solve the game instead. I haven't done much with the main missions - the ones where you actually have enemy droids actively killing you - but the training missions seem to be the majority of the game anyway, and do a very respectible job of remaining fun, even if your droid runs on treads and therefore can't jump.

Back to obscure... I own Psychonauts, but I've yet to play it. Rolo to the Rescue was a fun little Genesis game... hard as hell, though. Clockwork Knight for the Saturn wasn't too great, but Clockwork Knight 2 was. Et cetera, et cetera...
I remember Action Reaction and Droid Works, I have them lying around somewhere, gathering what little dust there is in my games folder (the one with half the holes punched to bind it broken)

i like sonic riders and Super mario strikers and Super smash brothers

i like thier graphics (especially for Super Mario Strikers)

super smash brothers because i reminds me of DMSC :D

Evolve for pc is so overlooked I'll bet no one's heard of it. A-life simulation game with poor graphics but good music.

BTW, SSB and Sonic Riders are hardly overlooked. Power Stone is pretty popular around my town, too.

Flame_the_hedgehog said:
i like sonic riders and Super mario strikers and Super smash brothers

i like thier graphics (especially for Super Mario Strikers)

super smash brothers because i reminds me of DMSC :D
I think you misread the thread title.....

Else, I'd be citing Super Mario Bros. :P

Then again, Rez was fairly overlooked so I'll cite that: I haven't played that many overlooked games.

Omega the Hedgehog said:
Oh man, I don't even have to ponder this one. Easily, MDK2 and Fur Fighters take the cake, with the Power Stone series in for a close second.

D: OMG Power Stone. I forgot about that game. Power Stone 2 was the best fighting game I ever played, hands down.

Shuffle said:
FoxBlitzz said:
TIM wasn't really overlooked.
Indeed.

Remember, guys. Old game != Overlooked game.
Some of the later ones were, apparently. Remember Return of The Incredible Machine: Contraptions or The Incredible Machine: Even More Contraptions? I do.

Marble Blast is probably pretty overlooked. I mean, the Xbox 360 version's probably all really popular and stuff, but the original cartoony one? I've never seen it get dragged up in a topic.

Cave Story is a VERY overlooked game; we'll have all heard of it, sure, but I doubt many mainstream gamers would have. At all. It's almost as if it were exclusively for the hardcore. (Especially Hell, but that's beside the point. STILL haven't beaten that.)

I know I dredged up Psychonauts before, but having played it for a while now, I can safely say that this game is awesome. Thing is, it came out on platforms that weren't very platforming-friendly... Oh well, it's other people's loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back