Match VPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitoko

I have created a VPS Server containing a game of Match. No more do you need to worry if there's a Match server online, you old folk. I tried to make a gametype-cardinal server as well, but... It didn't work out. It runs terminal, so we can have multiple people managing it at once. Also, I notice people joining, finding nobody to play with, then exiting. Many, many times. Keep in mind, this is a dedicated server, there is no immediate server player to play with you. Blaze will try to get on now and then to play, so feel free to give her a hello. And if there's nobody there, just be patient and move around a while and warm up. Players attract more players.

Anyway, I'm still in the progress of creating a public website to share statistics. ~Confusion~ gave me a program that looks promising so far, while I still have the old SRB2-Stats.exe that came with v2.0.x

Me and Blaze The Cat are the current admins of the server. A MS-goer named Yuki can also manage the game settings. We are also working on a rules Lua that can assist users for general rules of the server. In the meantime, please, as a golden unwritten rule, don't be a douche, and respect others. (Even if they are your sworn enemies) I can check the log at any time, and I do so every midnight when I reboot the server.

If you have anything to discuss, feel free to post here.

Last edited:
How many servers can you put up at one time? It'd be nice if there was a server that was dedicated to mods and/or co-op. Ex) server has a bunch of character wads added plus co-op with tortured planet added in or something.

I was intentionally going to put up two. The first one cycled through match infinitely. The second one, I would encourage gametype-voting, as it will play all the other game types. What irked me, is that Tag is not listed there in the voting menu. So, I'll have to get people to manually ask for Tag. That, or wonder how to edit the Match option into Tag. I might have even included a few of the most popular wads (Shadow, Blaze, Hinote) that are not unfair (Robo-Hood, HMS123311) for players to play as. It's a little sad that the MS isn't happy with two servers on the same IP. The files are still there.

So far, the MS seems to limit you at one.

Also, a slight rememberance of Oerg866, who also did this very same thing years ago, and I helped take care of his server. If you're there, feel free to speak up.

Last edited:
...What makes Robo-Hood "broken" exactly? Or are you just referring to his lack of ability to walk/run (which is intentional)?

Not that it particularly matters either way, I'm just curious. =P

EDIT: Yeah sorry, went bit off-topic there. If I played netgames much at all I'd imagine this would sound very cool to me.

Yeah. I wasn't going to include Robo-Hood. Robo-Hood is in the opposite way that HMS is, it's too gimped. Thusly said, most new players wouldn't play Robo-Hood anyway because they would start playing as him, try to move as him and get discouraged, and immediately swap to find other characters that are more play-friendly. No offence, Robo-Hood is really cool. I know his lack of ability is intentional.

I hope you've set the server up properly to not be a total resource hog. Hosts tend to get mad when a VPS is running at 100% power for extended periods of time; Wolfy got his VPS turned off temporarily once by running an SRB2 server on it without proper setup! (In case you need help, the solution he found was setting cpusleep to a decently high value)

I've set it to 25 (Maximum is 28) If anyone is willing to test by going in and seeing if it's not shoddy or anything, be my guest.
EDIT: cpusleep 5 seems to leave it at 1% CPU usage, which is in no means going to cause issues (I think)

Last edited:
For added variance, we're going to include some extra wads (That you may also download from the server.)

Here's a current list of characters me and Kitoko are debating:
Hinote (Nominated by Kitoko) This one didn't make it in because there's no updated version of that character.
Blaze (Nominated by me)
Metal Sonic (Nominated by Chris, he's a real-life friend at the Victoria Park VG center)
Amy (Nominated by Kitoko)

Shadow the Hedgehog was nominated by me, but we decided not to.
1107863-wdTm4re-GV9kmiu5.jpg

He uses Chaos Control a little too much.

On the other hand, levels, if you want your level (of decent quality) to be included in our server's rotation, feel free to let us know here.

Last edited:
I've removed Metal Sonic. his spin-dash makes him invulnerable from all shots. In addition, speed shoes become a makeshift invulnerability box. And there are a lot of speed shoes around levels so... He had to be removed. If Blade can change Metal Sonic to not be invulnerable during this, and only do damage, then I can accept him into the server again.

This server freezes waaay too often and it always takes days to fix. Implementing a server restart every 2 hours would be nice.

Do not know, but you believe that it is better to host a dedicated server with 27/7 one only type of game?

Not everyone plays "Match" rather often play "Coop" or "CTF" See if you can open more dedicated to other types of play on the same VPS server, which I doubt even possible this.

Rather to a dedicated server it is for games that already have dentros whether thereby to create room or handled rooms with lobby, which the SRB2 not have that integrated for now.

Do not know, but you believe that it is better to host a dedicated server with 27/7 one only type of game?

Not everyone plays "Match" rather often play "Coop" or "CTF" See if you can open more dedicated to other types of play on the same VPS server, which I doubt even possible this.

My target audience was players who want to try or play match. I have a group of common visitors already. The easiest way to play Coop is to pop up a server yourself, since often times you want to play with a specific wad set-up, in which case dedicated servers are just not ductile enough. There's almost always a Coop server hanging somewhere.

Which means.

Yes, I do believe dedicating a single game-type to a server is more effective, because when players visit the server, they know what to expect. They go to a Coop server to kick Ro-Butt, they join the CTF server to capture flags, they go to the match server to shoot rings...
Oh, and it plays Tag too, a similar enough game mode.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back