Sucker Punch

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSIetIg7O3M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrIiYSdEe4E

It is, as a YouTube comment put it:

"So guys, how about we do a romantic comedy where there's this guy who really likes this girl, but the guy is a bumbling idiot and it's funny because..."
*someone bursts in, interrupts meeting*
"HOT CHICKS FIGHTING DRAGONS, ROBOTS, NAZIS, AND STONE SAMURAI WARRIORS WITH FUCKING MINIGUNS GOD DAMN IT!!!" *leaves*
"You know, I think I like that idea instead."

Did I mention the whole thing takes place in a psyche ward?

Last edited:
Chao's quoted description of what really sums up the movie, is what has defined the movie industry now a days. I miss the times when we just had sharks with freaking lasers on their heads...

Chao's quoted description of what really sums up the movie, is what has defined the movie industry now a days. I miss the times when we just had sharks with freaking lasers on their heads...

I agree. I really enjoyed watching Sucker Punch's action sequences. Somehow, it makes it all the better that ridiculous action is really all that I expected from this movie.

There are three types of movies I enjoy. The first has high production values all across the board and has the capacity to be highly emotional or inspirational, at the reasonable expense of some excitement. "The King's Speech" and "Forrest Gump" are movies like that. The second type are movies that are so bad that they're great. That appeals to the inner heckler in me. If you haven't watched "Robot Monster" already, you should.

The third type isn't a bad movie by the measure of production values, but the story or emotional appeal of the movie is mediocre at best. These films, however, more than make up for that by huge amounts of boggling action, even if said action doesn't make a lick of sense if you think about it. But that's not what I paid for, anyway. I paid for hot girls wrecking shit.

If "The Green Hornet" is pretty typical for what I'd call a "dumb action flick", then "Sucker Punch" is the genre's absolute epitome. I won't try to spoil too much of the film for those who haven't seen it, but let me assure you that it has enough leather-clad action girls, warmechs, machine guns, katana swords, and steam Huns for just about everyone.

The actual problem with "Sucker Punch" is every part of the movie that isn't an adrenaline rush. Not that these parts are boring or flout fake emotion, mind you, it's just that these elements resolve in an ambiguous and generally unsatisfying way, for me, at least. I don't mind a good story in my action films, but I don't want to be confused by it either. That forces me to think and hinders my visceral engagement in the film's more exciting parts. If the film had removed its story elements, I don't believe I'd think of it any less.

Nevertheless, "Sucker Punch" delivers a lot of action, and if you're into that sort of thing, you should definitely go see it. It earns a B+ from me.

By the way, "The Green Hornet" is another good action film. Though I usually hate overtly arrogant and machismo guys in both real life and on film, Seth Rogen's performance as the bombastic Britt Reid is spot on. It also helps that the character is genuinely funny and ultimately a pretty decent guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back