Is it possible to add motion blur to SRB2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalaron

I've always wondered if you could make SRB2 use motion blur in open GL,
does anyboby think it's possible? If so, how could you do it?

I once found information online, that if a game screenshots the scene, saves the screenshot in the memory, then draws it back osreen a few tics later, only with some transparency, it would produce a renderer-independent moton-blur effect.

I'd try it myself if I knew how to do half the stuff I just said.

I'd say it's possible to make SRB2 do anything. Although it wouldn't be easy or particularly fast.

Shuffle said:
I'd say it's possible to make SRB2 do anything. Although it wouldn't be easy or particularly fast.

I agree, by how things seem, anything should be possible as long as an EXE was programmed to do those type of actions.

Actually, motion blur would look awesome at high speeds in SRB2 (Read: With the Speed Boots.)

I think just simply drawing the last frame is the worst possible way to do motion blur.. only the stuff in the background that is moving quickly should be blurred, not the entire screen. D:

Shuffle said:
I think just simply drawing the last frame is the worst possible way to do motion blur.. only the stuff in the background that is moving quickly should be blurred, not the entire screen. D:

You don't have to put the whole scene in the accumulation buffer...HUZZAH!

Yeah, AJ is right, buffers are completely separate.

BTW, watch out, as not all cards support accumulation buffer. In such cases it must be emulated by software, and all acceleration in the card becomes useless in such cases. (OpenGL emulates by software everything that isn't supported in hardware, actually)

Sik said:

BTW, watch out, as not all cards support accumulation buffer. In such cases it must be emulated by software, and all acceleration in the card becomes useless in such cases. (OpenGL emulates by software everything that isn't supported in hardware, actually)
Probably because it IS superior to DirectX, but on another case, motion blur would be particularly nice. REAL motion blur would be nicer (next gen kind).

furyhunter600 said:
Sik said:

Probably because it IS superior to DirectX, but on another case, motion blur would be particularly nice. REAL motion blur would be nicer (next gen kind).
Yep, I got that idea, too. And AAARGB translucency (OpenGL can do it but for solid colors only - I mean to be able to do it even on textures).

And OpenGL has yet to get Shader Model 3.0 support, from my understanding.

Honestly, does it really make a difference which API is used, apart from the coder's standpoint? They both give a similar level of performance.

Ok, when I started this topic all I was wondering is if you could add motion blur to srb2's engine and according to all the reply's, I'm assuming it is.

So, would I have to do a complete source code edit for motion blur and change the game engine entirely, or the way OpenGL works etc.
I don't know what terms to use.

motionblurzh2.png

Sources say: YES IT'S POSSIBLE!

FoxBlitzz said:
And OpenGL has yet to get Shader Model 3.0 support, from my understanding.

That's because OpenGL standards have to go in front of the Architecture Review Board (ARB) for tweaking and approval. In the mean time though, since OGL isn't closed and proprietary like Direct3D, video card makers can make extensions for it.

So while Shader Model 3.0 might not be in the 'official OpenGL spec', there is likely vendor extension support for it.

OpenGL also has a rigorous testing sequence that any implementation has to go through and pass before it can be considered OpenGL compliant. DirectX has no such tests, which allows things to come out quicker, but their quality may be lacking (i.e., something hacked up to 'kinda' support a feature).

Direct3D is really just another case of Microsoft pushing an inferior product onto consumers using its operating system dominance as leverage. OpenGL even existed before Direct3D did and supported many more features until Direct3D caught up around version 7 or 8. Microsoft could have just integrated OpenGL into DirectX, but they wanted something that was proprietary to them and would force people to have their programs work only on the Windows platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who is viewing this thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Back